Focal Elear - Impressions Thread
Sep 8, 2018 at 8:34 AM Post #5,402 of 6,742
newbie question: the elear uses 3.5mm mono for each side, but could you use 3.5mm stereo x2 wires instead ?
Yes you can, that's exactly what I used for my custom balanced cable (Amphenol slim 3.5mm gold plated stereo connectors).

elearcables.jpg

Sep 8, 2018 at 9:01 AM Post #5,403 of 6,742
Some of the test tracks I tried are the first three on this album:

Just had a listen to the first few tracks of that album off Tidal through Audirvana+ with the Elear connected balanced to the Audio-gd R-28.

At 'comfortable' listening levels (35 High Gain), which for most people will be above normal/moderately loud, zero clipping/excursion. At level. 40 (loud even for me, but still tolerable), zero clipping. At level 45 (too loud for me, tolerable for maybe 2-3 minutes), zero clipping. At level 50 (almost painful, tolerable for 1 minute max), first faint sounds of possible clipping, although it could have also been the sound effects on some of the scratchy beats. Same at 55, which I tried for 10 seconds before stopping.

Given this is exactly the type of 'music' (for want of a better word) that would induce clipping in the Elears, I'd say they fared very well. 99.9% of the music I listen to would never have this deep level of droning sub bass. I personally prefer this genre on speakers + sub, but it makes for an interesting soundscape on the Elear. I would strongly caution against listening to this at the point of clipping because of the serious hearing damage it would cause.

Sep 8, 2018 at 1:06 PM Post #5,405 of 6,742
Appreciate the tests you're all doing. So far great and for sure surprising results.

Together with bidn's comment the first thing I questioned is my hearing :lol: Did a couple of quick online tests to be more sure there really aren't any issues there. Here's one if you're interested.

Could it be gear related? Would be so coincidental because last year at the time of my first Elear I had a different DAC and a different amp. Very different if not 100% different setup front to back. Anyway, I didn't mean to get to the bottom of what exactly is going on in the first place. It's just my simple personal experience based on the posted tracks which are now an easy way for others to try their pair with. Not sure what quality Bandcamp's stream actually is but there is quite a clear difference with the purchased album. This might account for something although @loopfreak let me know it made no difference for his results. I can't test it anymore because I already sent back the headphones. If there's one piece of evidence of anything it's that I'm too much of a perfectionist to enjoy the 90% the Elear would get right.

Sep 8, 2018 at 1:53 PM Post #5,406 of 6,742
Here's one if you're interested.
Interesting test that. I think it's fairly accurate as it almost exactly mirrors the results I had about a year ago from a professional test, which confirmed I had mild to moderate hearting loss (with the biggest loss between 2khz and 4khz). That's not a surprise to me - I was a big fan of loud headphone listening in my teen years, and there's a price to pay for that. For some reason that corresponds with the Elear's supposed mid-dip frequencies, and yet I've never found the Elear lacking in this area. Would love an audiologist to explain that one to me.

But I digress - the fact that my Elear was only clipping at volume levels that would make anyone with 'normal' hearing wince in pain says all I need to know about my pair :)

Sep 13, 2018 at 12:36 PM Post #5,408 of 6,742
After I thought I heard the bass clipping on my Elear for the first time I listened to the same song with my new LCD-2C and heard pretty much the same thing so it was the song and not the headphone which is good. It must just be the type of bass kick used that gives off that clipping sound.

Also, as much as I love my Elear I have to say that the LCD-2C gives it a run for the money as it's a wonderful sounding headphone with sub-bass that I've never heard from any other headphone. I still love the Elear but it has that in your face sound because of how dynamic it is that it's nice to have a smoother headphone that's on the same level SQ wise as the Elear.

Sep 14, 2018 at 12:12 PM Post #5,409 of 6,742
TL;DR - ladies and gentlemen, proudly presenting the world's first (and as far as I know, only) suspension strap for Focal headphones: the gStrap.

gStrap_01.jpg
gStrap_02.jpg
gStrap_03.jpg
gStrap_04.jpg

Wait, what? Did he just say 'suspension strap' and 'Focal' in the same sentence? How is that even possible!? Here's the low down:

I've been an Elear owner and enthusiast for some time now, and it's become my favourite daily driver. I just love everything about its sound, look, feel...well, almost everything. Over the course of the past few months, I've noticed a few 'issues' that instead of turning me off the Elear, have prompted me to look for solutions.

The first, and most obvious, was the material the pads and headband were made of. I bought my set used (and so-called 'mint'), and so it was - except the pads and headband were very clearly worn and used. The fabric has started to fleck, for want of a better word, and had also taken on an oily (gross, I know) appearance. Oddly enough I didn't fault the previous owner; he had every right to use them as intended, and he was even kind enough to compensate me after the sale so I can buy replacement pads. No, the blame lies squarely with whoever thought microfibre was a good idea for the two parts of a headphone that regularly come into contact with human skin, hair, and all the random stuff left on desks and bookshelves that the headphones inevitably sit on. It wouldn't be so bad if the fabric parts were easily (and affordably) replaceable, but replacement pads from Focal are currently priced at $150, and the headband is not only not replaceable, but also not repairable.

The second was the design of the headband itself. The Elear, as you probably know, is not a lightweight headphone. While the headband itself is fairly well padded, and the clamping force distributes at least some of the overall weight of the headphone, I was still prone to developing hotspots where the headband met my head. This meant that after a few minutes' use I started to feel the pressure, and from time to time had to adjust the headband away from the hotspot it was creating. At times I got it just right and, without moving, was able to wear it for a longer listening session without any pain, but until that point I found myself constantly fiddling with the headband (and distracted from the music). So aside from the curious decision to use fabric for the headband padding, the headband itself was often a source of discomfort.

Luckily, soon after I bought the Elear, I discovered the @DekoniAudio Elite range of leather pads for Focal. Not only did Dekoni's fenestrated sheepskin pads improve the comfort and instantly remove the issue of flecking fabric and oil absorption from the earpads, they also improved the sound of the headphone. You can read my full review of these pads here: https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/de...r-focal-headphones.23227/reviews#review-20632

The headband issue was a bigger problem, and one that for months I've struggled to solve. Until now. Sure there are aftermarket "covers" for Focal headphones on eBay, but the idea of putting a cheap woollen monstrosity on such a sleek and stylish headphone just didn't sit right with me. It reminded me of those horrid wool carseat covers from the 70s and 80s - can you picture putting those on the seats of your modern day sports car!? Other owners took the matter into their own hands, wrapping home made neoprene padding, and even Maxi Pads (I kid you not, check out the recent post on the Clear thread), to try protect the otherwise very stylish and very expensive headband. At the same time, I'd just bought the new Audeze suspension headband for my LCD-3, and the ZMF Atticus I was using also had a suspension strap to distribute the weight, and realised that both those headphones were far more comfortable than the Elear for extended use despite them being far heavier than the Elear.

Which got me thinking...what if there Elear had a suspension strap? Obvious, right? Except there was no easy way, that I could see, to detach the Elear's ear cups from the headband to fit an aftermarket product like the @Lohb strap, like I did for my LCD-2. But taking a closer look at how the new Audeze strap is designed, and having removed the two small plastic covers that conceal the yoke entry and excess headband material on either side of the Elear headband, I had a lightbulb moment. Many weeks later, after dozens of sketches and paper prototypes, and following close discussions with a good friend and leather craftsman, I can proudly present what I believe is the world's first and only suspension strap for the Elear (and other Focal headphones like it).

Shoot if you have any questions and I'll try to answer on this thread, but I'll also link this post on the other Focal headphone threads, so there may be Q&As going on elsewhere as well. I'm currently considering producing the gStrap in limited quantities, so PM me if you think it's something you think you could use for your own headphones.

Sep 14, 2018 at 4:17 PM Post #5,410 of 6,742
Interesting test that. I think it's fairly accurate as it almost exactly mirrors the results I had about a year ago from a professional test, which confirmed I had mild to moderate hearting loss (with the biggest loss between 2khz and 4khz). That's not a surprise to me - I was a big fan of loud headphone listening in my teen years, and there's a price to pay for that. For some reason that corresponds with the Elear's supposed mid-dip frequencies, and yet I've never found the Elear lacking in this area. Would love an audiologist to explain that one to me.

But I digress - the fact that my Elear was only clipping at volume levels that would make anyone with 'normal' hearing wince in pain says all I need to know about my pair :)

The first time I heard the dip with the stock pads was on Janet Jackson's Rhythm Nation...she sounded muffled. Then I heard it on anything Led Zeppelin, then on Toad the Wet Sprocket.

Sep 15, 2018 at 3:50 AM Post #5,411 of 6,742
I received the Elex pads a few days ago and have put some ours in. I’ve been using the dekoni fenestrated pads for a while and really really dig the sound sig. Unfortunately (or not) the Elex pads are a downgrade for me. Muffled sound, weaker bass, treble not as precise. Very comfy.

Sep 15, 2018 at 5:26 AM Post #5,412 of 6,742
I received the Elex pads a few days ago and have put some ours in. I’ve been using the dekoni fenestrated pads for a while and really really dig the sound sig. Unfortunately (or not) the Elex pads are a downgrade for me. Muffled sound, weaker bass, treble not as precise. Very comfy.
Look forward to getting mine soon. So much for the Elex being an 'upgrade' over the Elear; I fear my findings will mirror yours (also digging the Dekoni pads), but we'll see. Will go into it with open ears :)

Sep 15, 2018 at 5:41 AM Post #5,413 of 6,742
Can you do a short comparison btw Elears stock vs Dekoni vs Elex pads ?
It would be very useful to have it all in one post.

Thx

Sep 15, 2018 at 5:32 PM Post #5,414 of 6,742
Picked up a pair of Elear today, enjoying them. Heard the bass clipping already, but it's not something you get at normal listening levels. The SHP-9500s do something kind of similar with their rattly bass (modding reduces it but still). First impressions of these headphones are very fun, big bass, big soundstage, but still good clarity and tonality. Good at rock & decent at edm. The Clear or Utopia didn't improve enough to warrant their prices. Will also be comparing these against the other horse in the stable, the Z1R. Oh, and the comfort and build are mint!

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2018 at 1:58 AM Post #5,415 of 6,742
Can you do a short comparison btw Elears stock vs Dekoni vs Elex pads ?
It would be very useful to have it all in one post.

Thx
Sure thing, when I have the time. I haven’t listened to the stock pads ever since I got the fenestrated pads.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back