Focal Elear - Impressions Thread
Sep 6, 2018 at 5:02 PM Post #5,386 of 6,742
Trying two nights in a row to make the Elear clipp has made my brain clipp instead. Need something short to dampen the echoing :tumbler_glass: This could be a sub-hobby, hehhh

Anyways, tried the The Dark Night OST as recommended, I was on 3/4 of the volume pot and nothing happened. I didn't want to go flat out since the lows were making significant pressure on my ear drums. Elear is on LPG100 which puts more than 1.5W on 80ohm .
I’d say hold on to that Elear and never sell it. Haven’t heard of an Elear that doesn’t clip on that track - and for good reason, it has insane amounts of sub bass that quite frankly can only be ‘properly’ enjoyed (i.e. felt) with a subwoofer and sizeable speakers. No matter how good or powerful your headphones, they’ll never be able to properly recreate the sensation of chest thumping sub bass.

Sep 6, 2018 at 5:16 PM Post #5,387 of 6,742
If it was on a speaker set up it would be a bass breeze most definitely.

Speakers are great but if you can't fulfil some basic rules; acoustic panels, free to position them in the room, sit always in the middle and of course play what you like when you like as long as you like, they better look sick because that's all that you're left with.

Sep 7, 2018 at 5:16 AM Post #5,391 of 6,742
anybody order the massdrop elex pads and plan to use it on their elear ?
Yep, I did. Not because I have any issues with the Dekoni fenestrated sheepskin pads (which I much prefer to Elear stock), but more out of curiosity to how the Elex sounds and why it’s gotten so much praise even from Elear users. Will do a full impressions post once I get them.

Sep 7, 2018 at 8:25 AM Post #5,394 of 6,742
Yep, I did. Not because I have any issues with the Dekoni fenestrated sheepskin pads (which I much prefer to Elear stock), but more out of curiosity to how the Elex sounds and why it’s gotten so much praise even from Elear users. Will do a full impressions post once I get them.
I'm looking forward to read that, please do it as a three-way comparison

Sep 7, 2018 at 11:52 PM Post #5,397 of 6,742
Used the beginning of the first two tracks since they are mostly lows. Was on the 3/4 of the dial, bass hasn't lost composure and no clipping in sight. I was making funny faces and couldn't hold up more than 10 sec in a row.

Cool. The two pairs I had could not take it so might be proof there really are differences between Elears. Because you're the first to try allow me to buy you the same two tracks in FLAC for another round of testing?

PM incoming

Sep 8, 2018 at 1:12 AM Post #5,398 of 6,742
Used the beginning of the first two tracks since they are mostly lows. Was on the 3/4 of the dial, bass hasn't lost composure and no clipping in sight. I was making funny faces and couldn't hold up more than 10 sec in a row.

Similarly, no issues even at ear bleeding levels on my year+ old pair of Elears . I also tried the first few tracks on my other HPs and speakers to ensure similar results, which leads me to believe that the mentioned cracking issue maybe relate to a source, media version or even possible amp/HP impedance mismatch.

It would be helpful if posters mentioned their source and playback equipment. It’s really hard to comment without knowing sound quality of used tracks and if they were played back from MP3, Spotify, Youtube , local playback, streaming or other sources.

My Kinetic Image version is 16/44.1 FLAC, so it’s hardly hi-res source suitable for any serious evaluation, but still no distortions, cracking or clipping. My Elears handle it mighty fine.

Kinetic Image.JPG

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2018 at 2:29 AM Post #5,400 of 6,742
Cool. The two pairs I had could not take it so might be proof there really are differences between Elears.
PM incoming

Hi Moriez,

while it is indeed possible that this would be caused by variability among the headphones,
I think that the prima facie cause is the interpersonal variability of the threshold of hearing pain ( the higher the threshold is, the better you can bear louder noises):

- Even for humans of the same age, the threshold of pain varies like the hearing threshold does.

- In addition, this threshold varies with age, e.g. people between 45-55 have a reduced threshold of hearing pain (they cannot cope so well with louder volume and this is the age period where most people in average develop tinnitus),
apparently the pain threshold decreases significantly around 45, but then this is neutralized around 55 by the decrease of the hearing threshold (louder noises will becoming more bearable again not because the pain threshold gets back to normal, but because things will be heard less loudly).

To know for sure we should have the same persons notice these differences between different Elears.

Have a nice weekend,
bidn

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back