Focal Elear - Impressions Thread
Nov 6, 2017 at 9:20 AM Post #4,681 of 6,742
Hi, I would thanks some recomendations for a handfull of headphone amps (or amp/dac) bellow 500 € that would pair good with Focal Elears. If only as amp, I will connect it to my FiiO X7 mk2 ESS9028PRO DAC, I like clear mids and highs with a touch of bass, mostly jazz, electronic and alternative genres. I know this is very relative and subjective to personal taste... Just wanted some guidelines for now for where to look for.
Thanks

Ps: Actually is not Elear but Clear, but I guess a good match for one should be to the other

I believe the Clear has a different driver....so there may be a difference in amps between the two headphones.

Bern

Nov 6, 2017 at 10:13 AM Post #4,682 of 6,742
Hi, I would thanks some recomendations for a handfull of headphone amps (or amp/dac) bellow 500 € that would pair good with Focal Elears. If only as amp, I will connect it to my FiiO X7 mk2 ESS9028PRO DAC, I like clear mids and highs with a touch of bass, mostly jazz, electronic and alternative genres. I know this is very relative and subjective to personal taste... Just wanted some guidelines for now for where to look for.
Thanks

Ps: Actually is not Elear but Clear, but I guess a good match for one should be to the other

Chord Mojo.

Nov 6, 2017 at 11:10 AM Post #4,683 of 6,742
Chord Mojo.

Thanks for the tip but my preference would be to a desktop amp. Focal Clear 50ohm and high sensivity make it a very DAP friendly headphone, so, OTG I'll use just my FiiO, don't want a 2nd rechargeable device.
I've been looking at Schiit offering, Lyr, valhalla ... or alternatives that would match well the Focals, relying in personal experiences. As an example, I see Focal headphones Utopia and Elear associated to marketing stuff from Questyle, namely their DAC/AMPS CMA400i, CMA600i and 800i - I imagine they are a great match, CMA400i is very attractive in features and looks great, has the 4pin XLR balanced for Clear bundled cable, and its not too expensive - so I don't disregard DAC/AMPS, but price is always rising, I would prefer for the same price have a TOTL headphone AMP... Mjolnir ? Damned, always thinking one that Schiit.

Nov 6, 2017 at 11:17 AM Post #4,684 of 6,742
Up to you man, but I use a Mojo as my desktop amp and it fulfils that role sublimely. If you want to spend a pretty penny more, though, don't let me stand in your way
wink.gif

Nov 6, 2017 at 11:22 AM Post #4,685 of 6,742
Up to you man, but I use a Mojo as my desktop amp and it fulfils that role sublimely. If you want to spend a pretty penny more, though, don't let me stand in your way
wink.gif
The Chord Mojo is VERY competent for sure. When paired with an easier to drive headphone its pretty killer for cost/performance

Nov 6, 2017 at 11:46 AM Post #4,686 of 6,742
wink.gif

I believe it does. My doubt with the Mojo is that I've read a few posts referring a "not very bright" signature (...read this in perspective, I didn't say rolled-off ...) - but that's not the main reason, I really prefer a desktop amp or dac/amp.
That's why they made Dave, right? :astonished: Anyway, no rush here, I'll give a time to adapt to Clear (hope its love at 1st sight) sound signature and evaluate later the direction I wanna move with a more informed decision.
Regards

Nov 6, 2017 at 11:53 AM Post #4,687 of 6,742
I believe it does. My doubt with the Mojo is that I've read a few posts referring a "not very bright" signature (...read this in perspective, I didn't say rolled-off ...) - but that's not the main reason, I really prefer a desktop amp or dac/amp.
That's why they made Dave, right? :astonished: Anyway, no rush here, I'll give a time to adapt to Clear (hope its love at 1st sight) sound signature and evaluate later the direction I wanna move with a more informed decision.
Regards
I don't think the mojo is bright so I agree with that. As I just commented a minute ago about the Clears, they don't have what I describe as treble sparkle that the Utopia has. I think they did a great job of letting the treble extend but not making it sizzle like the Utopia. Will be interested to hear what you think of them. I am still waiting for our shipment to get here so I can finally listen since RMAF!

Nov 6, 2017 at 11:59 AM Post #4,688 of 6,742
I don't think the mojo is bright so I agree with that. As I just commented a minute ago about the Clears, they don't have what I describe as treble sparkle that the Utopia has. I think they did a great job of letting the treble extend but not making it sizzle like the Utopia. Will be interested to hear what you think of them. I am still waiting for our shipment to get here so I can finally listen since RMAF!

Hey Thanks! I saw you comment on Clear thread, no need to say I liked it :beyersmile:

Mine shipped today but will take at least 3 or 4 days, crossing fingers to have them by the weekend.
Regards

Nov 7, 2017 at 4:53 AM Post #4,689 of 6,742
Hi, just to clarify, is this treatment supposed to prevent crackling and advised by Focal? ...... I'm guessing not the cracking under heavy/strong bass though as that's clipping and built as part of the design? .... "Dynamics over SPL" as in Focals response to us concerned.

I've not done this "50 hr burn in" should i do it now, im guessing they've only had a max of 6 hours play time?

This short break-in period was not meant to prevent crackling. It was mainly meant to identify if this pair suffers, or would suffer, from crackling. I didn't want to wait weeks to find out if crackling would appear as happened with my previous pair.

Nov 7, 2017 at 8:41 AM Post #4,690 of 6,742
This short break-in period was not meant to prevent crackling. It was mainly meant to identify if this pair suffers, or would suffer, from crackling. I didn't want to wait weeks to find out if crackling would appear as happened with my previous pair.

Ok thank you, yes I understand. I'm also on my second pair and all is well so far no crackling, fingers crossed!
There is still that loud clip/crack if I turn up on heavy sub-bass tracks like "War Anthem", I would've liked to turn up the volume a tad more, occasionally, on such tracks but I'm aware of it and it's no great problem, I just listen at a lower level.
Bar that I'm very pleased with them.

Nov 7, 2017 at 9:48 AM Post #4,691 of 6,742
Regards
Take a look at te Schiit Jotunheim! Neutral (some say slightly bright), desktop, near infinite power, great pairing with the Elear imo.
With that said I have great trust in Chord too. I use my Hugo to drive the Elear, aswell as being the dac in my speaker system. Amazing sound, I have no doubt that the Mojo sounds great too!

Nov 7, 2017 at 11:32 AM Post #4,692 of 6,742
Take a look at te Schiit Jotunheim! Neutral (some say slightly bright), desktop, near infinite power, great pairing with the Elear imo.
With that said I have great trust in Chord too. I use my Hugo to drive the Elear, aswell as being the dac in my speaker system. Amazing sound, I have no doubt that the Mojo sounds great too!

Thanks for feedback, will take a look.

Nov 7, 2017 at 7:25 PM Post #4,693 of 6,742
There have been several recommendations, as well as some criticisms, about Sonarworks "True-Fi" software. Here is a recently posted short review from John Darko at Digital Audio Review (DAR) about his brief experience with the software during CanJam Europe 2017.

Last edited:
Nov 7, 2017 at 10:03 PM Post #4,694 of 6,742
Interesting I'll have to take a look at this have you used their software..

Nov 8, 2017 at 3:21 PM Post #4,695 of 6,742
Received my fourth (!) pair of Elear a couple of days ago. Focal was extremely quick on their return shipping this time, so I'm super grateful for that.

It looks like I've finally received one of the "fixed" 2nd production batch of Elear. The cable is only 3 m vs the original 4 m, and another interesting detail I noticed is that the box says "Elear" in shiny black writing on the end that opens. That wasn't on my previous three pairs, which all developed squeaks over about a month or two of usage, so I have high hopes that they've fixed that problem now.

20171101_220800.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back