Focal Elear - Impressions Thread
Nov 10, 2017 at 5:18 AM Post #4,711 of 6,742
Hi, anyone using Elear with Violectric headphone amps (V100, V200)? how's the match? I've been looking at Schiit offering but those Violectric seem technically and specs a way superior, I guess that can be translated to SQ too (dynamics, power, SNR, etc)?

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2017 at 2:51 PM Post #4,712 of 6,742
I have a Little Dot MKII but have thus far refrained from using it with the Elear because it sounds delicious straight from the Mojo. Tonight that changed, and I am really liking the tube-y lushness that I hear with the Mojo feeding the Little Dot.

Nov 11, 2017 at 5:03 PM Post #4,713 of 6,742
I have a Little Dot MKII but have thus far refrained from using it with the Elear because it sounds delicious straight from the Mojo. Tonight that changed, and I am really liking the tube-y lushness that I hear with the Mojo feeding the Little Dot.

Hey we're on the same boat! I've been refraining from using the Elear with my Bottlehead Crack because it's a technically wrong pairing (OTL + low impedance phones) but I've tested the Elear with a few solid state amp (Magni 2 and Nuforce HA-200), and I still prefer the warm, bassy and lush sound that the Crack gives the Elear over any solid state amp.

Nov 11, 2017 at 7:15 PM Post #4,714 of 6,742

Hey WaveSounds.
I've been looking at the Little Dot for a while on and off. Never heard tuby lushness ! I like the Mojo but interested in giving tubes a shot in the future.
Do you know what the MKIII and MKIV are like rin ccomparison?

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2017 at 7:26 PM Post #4,715 of 6,742
Hey we're on the same boat! I've been refraining from using the Elear with my Bottlehead Crack because it's a technically wrong pairing (OTL + low impedance phones) but I've tested the Elear with a few solid state amp (Magni 2 and Nuforce HA-200), and I still prefer the warm, bassy and lush sound that the Crack gives the Elear over any solid state amp.

Right on - it shouldn't sound good, but it does!!

Hey WaveSounds.
I've been looking at the Little Dot for a while on and off. Never heard tuby lushness ! I like the Mojo but interested in giving tubes a shot in the future.
Do you know what the MKIII and MKIV are like rin ccomparison?

Afraid I've no experience with any tubes other than the MKII. However, the MKIII always gets brilliant reviews so if you have the cash to spare, it's not much more of an expense over the MKII.

Edit: I upgraded the driver tubes in mine to the Mullard CV4010 and the difference was very noticeable. My next step will be to add Novosibrisk 6H6pi-N power tubes.

Edit 2: Try and find another headphone amp that gets 5 stars from 50+ reviews.

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2017 at 1:54 PM Post #4,716 of 6,742
Silly question for you guys... i'm a noobie.

Are the Elear considered low impedance? I had them set as Hi-Z with the Wa7 and the sound feels overwhelming and murky. When I set it to Lo-Z it sounds a lot more clear. Did I have it in the wrong setting?

When I plug in the Elear into my Jptunheim, they feel very clear but seems not as musical and missing that 'oomph' that I am looking for. Is that the difference between the SS vs Tube that I am hearing?

Nov 13, 2017 at 2:42 PM Post #4,717 of 6,742
Silly question for you guys... i'm a noobie.

Are the Elear considered low impedance? I had them set as Hi-Z with the Wa7 and the sound feels overwhelming and murky. When I set it to Lo-Z it sounds a lot more clear. Did I have it in the wrong setting?

When I plug in the Elear into my Jptunheim, they feel very clear but seems not as musical and missing that 'oomph' that I am looking for. Is that the difference between the SS vs Tube that I am hearing?
The Elear is listed at 80 ohms impedance, which is pretty low, all things considered (HD600 and HD650 are 300 ohms). They also have a high sensitivity, so they're pretty easy to drive. High gain would only likely be useful if you have a low output source, like a phone.

Nov 17, 2017 at 1:46 AM Post #4,718 of 6,742
^^^BUMP^^^

Not much going on here…

Having Elear for nearly half a year I was curious about how they compare to the new Clear. Today I had a chance to listen to both pairs with familiar tracks (mostly 24/96-192 and DSF64) on unfamiliar front end (Cayin iDAC-6 /iHA-6 combo)

Both pairs were used with Clear unbalanced cable; I was just swapping the HPs without changes to volume level. In short, Clear sound a bit different from Elear and most noticeable difference I found was upper bass and lower midrange. Clear sounded more…clear, but also it felt flatter and less inspiring than Elear. The dominating punch and bass ‘oompf’ of Elear most likely affects midrange clarity. Highs were more less the same, but again, my demo session wasn’t long enough to come with a solid conclusion. For all tube based front end and amplification I would suggest Clear, especially if vinyl is your source.

However, I was more curious about the real differences between the two HPs; drivers and ear pads. Thanks to my accommodating dealer I was able to swap ear pads and listen the same tracks again.

A while back I posted published measurements of Elear and Clear and the way I read it, Clear didn’t look any better, in fact I Elear had flatter response. I am not exactly sure if the measurements were taken with or without ear pads, but to my ears Elear with Clear grey pads sounded more even than with Elear original pads. The bass and punch were still there, even tighter, but I felt overall clarity was restored, and it was more noticeable with female vocals.

Clear’s ear pads appear deeper and more firm than Elear’s. Elear pads felt like old pillows by comparison, pushing caps against my ear, where the grey pads gave more space between ears and drivers.

Although it was not a well controlled comparison, I preferred the sound of Elear due to its authority and dynamics. Extra clarity added by Clear pads made it easy for me; Elear are here to stay and a set of new pads and Clear cables will be ordered once available in few months.
IMG_3037.JPG

Nov 17, 2017 at 2:34 AM Post #4,719 of 6,742
^^^BUMP^^^

Not much going on here…

Having Elear for nearly half a year I was curious about how they compare to the new Clear. Today I had a chance to listen to both pairs with familiar tracks (mostly 24/96-192 and DSF64) on unfamiliar front end (Cayin iDAC-6 /iHA-6 combo)

Both pairs were used with Clear unbalanced cable; I was just swapping the HPs without changes to volume level. In short, Clear sound a bit different from Elear and most noticeable difference I found was upper bass and lower midrange. Clear sounded more…clear, but also it felt flatter and less inspiring than Elear. The dominating punch and bass ‘oompf’ of Elear most likely affects midrange clarity. Highs were more less the same, but again, my demo session wasn’t long enough to come with a solid conclusion. For all tube based front end and amplification I would suggest Clear, especially if vinyl is your source.

However, I was more curious about the real differences between the two HPs; drivers and ear pads. Thanks to my accommodating dealer I was able to swap ear pads and listen the same tracks again.

A while back I posted published measurements of Elear and Clear and the way I read it, Clear didn’t look any better, in fact I Elear had flatter response. I am not exactly sure if the measurements were taken with or without ear pads, but to my ears Elear with Clear grey pads sounded more even than with Elear original pads. The bass and punch were still there, even tighter, but I felt overall clarity was restored, and it was more noticeable with female vocals.

Clear’s ear pads appear deeper and more firm than Elear’s. Elear pads felt like old pillows by comparison, pushing caps against my ear, where the grey pads gave more space between ears and drivers.

Although it was not a well controlled comparison, I preferred the sound of Elear due to its authority and dynamics. Extra clarity added by Clear pads made it easy for me; Elear are here to stay and a set of new pads and Clear cables will be ordered once available in few months.
Sounds like Elear+Clear Pads+Clear Cable is the way to go.

Nov 17, 2017 at 2:46 AM Post #4,720 of 6,742
^^^BUMP^^^

Not much going on here…

Great comments. Thanks for posting. I was wondering the exact same thing about Clear earpads on the Elear. You answered all of my questions. Looks like I’ll be saving for some Clear earpads in the future. Though I must say, aesthetically speaking, I’m not loving the look of the light grey Clear earpads on the black Elears.

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2017 at 2:59 PM Post #4,721 of 6,742
B
^^^BUMP^^^

Not much going on here…

Wow, I'd love to try the clear pads if the really do improve on the Elears clarity. Does it affect imaging and instrument separation as well? I feel the Elear can get a little muddy there on complex songs.

Clear pads will probably be at least $100 though :/

Nov 17, 2017 at 3:09 PM Post #4,722 of 6,742
Wow, I'd love to try the clear pads if the really do improve on the Elears clarity. Does it affect imaging and instrument separation as well? I feel the Elear can get a little muddy there on complex songs.

Clear pads will probably be at least $100 though :/[/QUOTE]

You mean at least $200? :jecklinsmile:

Nov 17, 2017 at 8:38 PM Post #4,725 of 6,742
I' be interested in trying the Clear pads on my Elear in the future having read that Jako, thanks, aesthetically a miss match but it is about the sound for me, mostly!

Can I do a search on a single thread? ..... This one' getting so long now.
Excuse if this has been asked. ... I'm running mine off of a Mojo portable while staying with family / friends etc.
I was thinking its might be nice to have a DAP for them. Smaller form and a single unit opposed to my Galaxy Tab S2 / iPhone to Mojo combos. Plus player software for me is not really consistent, can be a right PITA! ....... Not for Qobuz / Tidal streaming (although that may be nice I suppose) I use the Tab for that but for my ripped / purchased high res loss-less files. Not really needing fancy bells just top notch SQ and power with headroom.
I enjoy the Mojo sound with my Elear, to give you an idea what suits me. Anything DAP wise to compare or even better it in terms of SQ?
Around the 500 quid mark ....... My files are most every resolution including DSD. ....... Cheers!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back