Focal Elear - Impressions Thread
Oct 21, 2017 at 9:13 PM Post #4,606 of 6,742
I'm still loving the Elears. Though I usually listen to classical, the last few days I've been binging David Bowie and it sounds rich, full and better than I've ever heard it. I feel bad for folks who are having trouble but I also don't understand the compulsion to try to make the drivers break up.
Try to make them break up? Give me a break. They break up on their own quite well without unnecessary assistance.

Oct 21, 2017 at 9:21 PM Post #4,607 of 6,742
I'm still loving the Elears. Though I usually listen to classical, the last few days I've been binging David Bowie and it sounds rich, full and better than I've ever heard it. I feel bad for folks who are having trouble but I also don't understand the compulsion to try to make the drivers break up.
As soon as I got the Elears I listened to several of my favorite Bowie albums and man did they sound fantastic. The new 2017 remaster of Low was amazing with the restored bass now that Tony Visconti was involved in the remastering process. Hunky Dory, Scary Monsters, Lodger, Ziggy, all felt like new experiences when played through the Elears. Looking forward to getting The Smiths - The Queen Is Dead 2017 remaster on Tuesday and the new The The box set that just shipped on Friday. These headphones have really elevated my musical enjoyment of all my favorite artists. Oh, Dylan's Blood On The Tracks in 24/192 hi-res, stunning!

Oct 21, 2017 at 9:31 PM Post #4,611 of 6,742

I don't think anyone is trying to do it! ... It just happened with my first pair, second pair is marginally better though. I was fixated on it for a while but NOW I'm adapting my listening habits and just enjoying them tbh.
I was going backward and forward like a fiddlers elbow emotionally deciding what I should do, now im just chilling out listening to Genesis "Selling England By The Pound" (fighting my Aspergers :) Those in the know will know what I'm talking about! :wink:

Oct 21, 2017 at 10:02 PM Post #4,612 of 6,742
As soon as I got the Elears I listened to several of my favorite Bowie albums and man did they sound fantastic. The new 2017 remaster of Low was amazing with the restored bass now that Tony Visconti was involved in the remastering process. Hunky Dory, Scary Monsters, Lodger, Ziggy, all felt like new experiences when played through the Elears. Looking forward to getting The Smiths - The Queen Is Dead 2017 remaster on Tuesday and the new The The box set that just shipped on Friday. These headphones have really elevated my musical enjoyment of all my favorite artists. Oh, Dylan's Blood On The Tracks in 24/192 hi-res, stunning!
Thanks for the suggestions of albums.

Even though this thread for the last week or two that I’ve been following seems to go around and around a lot on the crackling issues/concerns some have it has resulted in me discovering war anthem and the time machine soundtrack that im lioking forward to getting better aqcuainted with

Many thanks for that

Oct 21, 2017 at 10:03 PM Post #4,613 of 6,742
For bit perfect playback the source should be 100% unless you are adding EQ or DSP that may clip in the digital domain. That's why some lower their digital source volume, for digital clipping headroom.

The SPL level output will depend greatly on the level the music is recorded at. Many modern tracks are dynamically compressed and are mastered at a very high level (Loudness Wars), and many contain clipping in the track itself - Adele for example. Many classical and orchestration albums are mastered at lower levels so require a higher volume to get the same SPL. The only way to be sure of your listening level is to measure the SPL output with a sealed earcup, and it's best to use a proper SPL meter for accuracy.

Thank you, ill do that. Just remembered where i read it, it was in relation to PC and Windows, can be problemmatic if you push Windows / soundcard to max volume, do you agree with that? ..... I've obviously carried that thinking over to portable iPhone/ Android when I shouldn't have.

Oct 21, 2017 at 10:11 PM Post #4,615 of 6,742
Thanks for the suggestions of albums.

Even though this thread for the last week or two that I’ve been following seems to go around and around a lot on the crackling issues/concerns some have it has resulted in me discovering war anthem and the time machine soundtrack that im lioking forward to getting better aqcuainted with

Many thanks for that

Max Richters work is well worth listening to, War Anthem being just one from many albums. Tom Raybold (The Michine) the same, much to hear. ...... Jerry Goldsmith (Remus) love that track also, or i should say, Trek. :wink:

Oct 21, 2017 at 10:32 PM Post #4,616 of 6,742
The last few pages of this thread are full of people trying War Anthem and other things at excessive volume in order to get them to break up.
I can only speak for myself and I never listen to my headphones at a volume one would consider close to ''excessive'. As i have also stated in the year I've had these cans I've never heard a crackle.... until I played that song.

Last edited:
Oct 21, 2017 at 10:33 PM Post #4,617 of 6,742
Max Richters work is well worth listening to, War Anthem being just one from many albums. Tom Raybold (The Michine) the same, much to hear. ...... Jerry Goldsmith (Remus) love that track also, or i should say, Trek. :wink:
That Tom Raybould "The Machine" OST album you turned me onto is very cool.

Oct 22, 2017 at 5:09 AM Post #4,618 of 6,742
UGH! Elears(or Focal) are not having a good day reputation wise. :cry:

I had always thought Crutchfield was reputable. But since there are too many problems reported with Focal, maybe it is best to get another set.
to be honest i find the elear better sounding than my lcd2 and i have no issues at all, its an amazing headphones and its the first headphone i owned that opens up so much after break in

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2017 at 5:41 AM Post #4,619 of 6,742
Try to make them break up? Give me a break. They break up on their own quite well without unnecessary assistance.

The war drum you're beating against Focal is getting a little monotonous now, man. Do you harbour the same grudge against any company that doesn't have a 100% functioning product output? Do they even exist... if they do please let me know who they are!

Either way, we get it, you had a bad experience. You're in the minority. Many folks simply enjoy the Elears for the fantastic headphone they are.

Oct 22, 2017 at 5:56 AM Post #4,620 of 6,742
The war drum you're beating against Focal is getting a little monotonous now, man. Do you harbour the same grudge against any company that doesn't have a 100% functioning product output? Do they even exist... if they do please let me know who they are!

Either way, we get it, you had a bad experience. You're in the minority. Many folks simply enjoy the Elears for the fantastic headphone they are.
true! All companies have their issues.

If you got a bad pair, get them replaced. Or get your money back and buy something else. The crackling discussion was helpful and interesting for a lot of people at first, but beating this horse more with comments like this, isn't progressive or helpful in any way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back