Focal Elear - Impressions Thread
Oct 14, 2017 at 10:21 PM Post #4,396 of 6,742
I'm looking at the Aeon open also never owned any MrSpeakers hp's I got to give them a try..enjoy

Oct 14, 2017 at 10:31 PM Post #4,397 of 6,742
@RatFarm

The Elear are poorly designed? Did you mean the drivers or the way they're mounted? I think driver quality and/or driver quality control is the issue along with strange Focal "customer service". If they're blaming the customer instead of taking responsibility for their bad driver batches, that's an issue. But the design of the headphone itself isn't faulty IMO.

The reason I think it's a driver inconsistency is because almost everyone would say the drivers cracked if it was truly widespread, but I'm not seeing that. I have also seen some say there's a harsh treble spike which I don't see posted on a regular basis either. In fact, it's more common to hear people think they're not tuned right due to the mids.

Now if you're talking about how the drivers are tuned for sound, you could have a point because of the Clear seemingly "correcting" that. But to me, burn in(placebo or not), has helped my pair. Still my new favorite wired headphone so far.

Oct 14, 2017 at 10:36 PM Post #4,398 of 6,742
I'm looking at the Aeon open also never owned any MrSpeakers hp's I got to give them a try..enjoy

Aeon has so many dedicated fans, he must be doing something right. It also helps that he responds to people, not as a business, but as a person talking to another person. Same with the guy who designs Atticus and Eikons, Zach(?). His new Anteur looks nice but I'm broke for the rest of the year concerning high end sets, lol.

Oct 14, 2017 at 11:36 PM Post #4,399 of 6,742
Aeon has so many dedicated fans, he must be doing something right. It also helps that he responds to people, not as a business, but as a person talking to another person. Same with the guy who designs Atticus and Eikons, Zach(?). His new Anteur looks nice but I'm broke for the rest of the year concerning high end sets, lol.

That is good to know. Focal not responding I admit has me thinking, sod u then!
However, I felt the Elear could be good, darn good. Do I risk another pair from a company that appears to not care and pass the blame when an obvious problem is detected by the consumer?
Inconsistencies, does that mean also that longevity is in question. More I think on it the more I'm feeling I may go elsewhere. MrSpeakers probably as easier to get here in Blighty.

Oct 15, 2017 at 5:07 AM Post #4,400 of 6,742
watched z reviews about elear, and to be honest in that review he nailed it.

Yes elear is a great headphone to have if you can afford to have more than one headphone in your collection, but never ever will it be a headphone that I would if I can only afford only one priced between 500-1000 usd

Its a good headphone do not take me wrong, and for me its a love and hate towards elear, with some music it sounds just fantastic and with other oh man its a catastrophe. I think it works better with songs that do not have so many things going in songs, and for using it with metal music or 80s music that is a no way on earth for me. I like elear more with acoustic music or electronic music that are well recorded

Its a weird headphone, as weird as it is I see myself using it alot to just hear how songs will sound on elear but then I go back to my favs like LCD X and LCD2 or even the sine

Last edited:
Oct 15, 2017 at 6:07 AM Post #4,401 of 6,742
watched z reviews about elear, and to be honest in that review he nailed it.

Yes elear is a great headphone to have if you can afford to have more than one headphone in your collection, but never ever will it be a headphone that I would if I can only afford only one priced between 500-1000 usd

Its a good headphone do not take me wrong, and for me its a love and hate towards elear, with some music it sounds just fantastic and with other oh man its a catastrophe. I think it works better with songs that do not have so many things going in songs, and for using it with metal music or 80s music that is a no way on earth for me. I like elear more with acoustic music or electronic music that are well recorded

Its a weird headphone, as weird as it is I see myself using it alot to just hear how songs will sound on elear but then I go back to my favs like LCD X and LCD2 or even the sine
Have you tried using eq on them to reduce the 4k dip?
I think that dip was the root of a lot of the issues Z had with the Elear. When I switch back and forth between eq and non-eq, his impressions are pretty similar to mine. Kinda blurry center image, and like you said, when a lot of stuff is going on it can get a little messy.
Using eq removes all trace of these problems for me. I started using a single peak filter on 4kHz, which helped a lot. The last week I've been using Sonarworks calibration for the Elear and it's pretty amazing, it removes pretty much any issues with the Elear's sound. It does change the Elears signature quite a bit though, towards a neutral presentation.
Personally, I love the Elear's stock tonality too. My ears easily adjust to the 4k dip of the stock tonality when I'm listening to it, but switching between non-eq and eq I can quickly hear the issues people are having. But like I said with a simple eq or the sonarworks software, it's damn near perfect to my ears.

Oct 15, 2017 at 6:17 AM Post #4,402 of 6,742
I think that dip was the root of a lot of the issues Z had with the Elear. When I switch back and forth between eq and non-eq, his impressions are pretty similar to mine. Kinda blurry center image, and like you said, when a lot of stuff is going on it can get a little messy.
Using eq removes all trace of these problems for me. I started using a single peak filter on 4kHz, which helped a lot. The last week I've been using Sonarworks calibration for the Elear and it's pretty amazing, it removes pretty much any issues with the Elear's sound. It does change the Elears signature quite a bit though, towards a neutral presentation.
Personally, I love the Elear's stock tonality too. My ears easily adjust to the 4k dip of the stock tonality when I'm listening to it, but switching between non-eq and eq I can quickly hear the issues people are having. But like I said with a simple eq or the sonarworks software, it's damn near perfect to my ears.

I am testing for few days sonarworks and elear, and you are right that it changes its house sound and fixes the issues making it more neutral. I am just hesitant to keep using sonarworks as then it will be difficult to listen to elear without using it. I also add 4khz in my eq when I use it with jriver or with my portable daps players and it fixes it nicely, without altering the house sound as much a sonarworks does.
But all in all its a good headphone no complains to have it in my collection

Last edited:
Oct 15, 2017 at 6:26 AM Post #4,403 of 6,742
I am testing for few days sonarworks and elear, and you are right that it changes its house sound. I am just hesitant to keep using sonarworks as then it will be difficult to listen to elear without using it. I also add 4khz in my eq when I use it with jriver or with my portable daps players and it fixes it nicely, without altering the house sound as much a sonarworks does.
But all in all its a good headphone no complains to have it in my collection
Much agree! I actually still use only a 4k peak filter (or even no eq) sometimes, to get that warmer, more full-sounding tonality of the Elear. To my experience, the stock tonality kinda seem to focus more on vocals and acoustic instruments, and pushing stuff like percussion and "background" instruments further back.

I guess the Elear's tonality just sounds very right to my ears compared to a lot of other people. For example, even in stock form I prefer the Elear over the LCD-2 and LCD-X, it sounds more natural to me. I even sold my Stax srs-3100 system recently, because it just got used so little, sitting next to the Elear. Guess we all hear differently! :)

Oct 15, 2017 at 7:04 AM Post #4,404 of 6,742

Never say never, and never ever say never ever
wink.gif

Oct 15, 2017 at 7:06 AM Post #4,405 of 6,742
will those issues cause me to give up on elear? not at all

as it has its own magic with songs. yes its a picky headphone but offers something unique

so its a unique add on to my headphones collection, it will be easier for me to sell my lcd2 than the elear as the elear is unique, especially knowing i have lcd x to go to if i sell my lcd2

Oct 15, 2017 at 10:46 AM Post #4,406 of 6,742
How much are you eqing the 4k dip exactly? Wanna try that myself.

Oct 15, 2017 at 10:51 AM Post #4,407 of 6,742
How much are you eqing the 4k dip exactly? Wanna try that myself.
hmm I use 4dB with my Hugo (remember to set the preamp accordingly to avoid clipping!). If you have a warm amp that exaggerates the lower-mids even further, you may get better results with an even bigger peak. Try for yourself, play around and find out! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back