Focal Elear - Impressions Thread
Oct 15, 2017 at 1:29 PM Post #4,412 of 6,742
It's not a bad headphone at all. Its technicalities are very good, and sound signature for the most part non-offensive.

However, its comfort I would describe as 'annoying' because of its heavy weight and high clamping force, and its upper mid-lower treble dips is definitely polarizing.

Oct 15, 2017 at 1:39 PM Post #4,413 of 6,742
A lot of people don't like these phones, but positive Elear reviews keep cropping up. I just saw a brand new positive one by Z reviews on Youtube. Despite all the disappointed people here on head-fi, the Elear is still a headphone I want to try.

i would sell my lcd2 rather than selling my elear, as its a unique headphone but i have lcd x as my main headphone

Oct 15, 2017 at 1:46 PM Post #4,414 of 6,742
A lot of people don't like these phones, but positive Elear reviews keep cropping up. I just saw a brand new positive one by Z reviews on Youtube. Despite all the disappointed people here on head-fi, the Elear is still a headphone I want to try.

One should always take everything with a grain of salt, since most things that are posted online are by people who could be considered as the vocal minority. There could very well be a voiceless majority whom don't post their comments at all that either like or dislike these headphones but would rather keep to themselves for whatever reason.

Oct 15, 2017 at 3:16 PM Post #4,415 of 6,742
Im currently using my elear with Sonarworks and im really enjoying it with the BK 1974 optimum hi fi curve preset.
Super detailed and it seems to keep the headphone house sound without the 6db 4k dip.

I would like to know what eq program you guys are using that is mac and Tidal compatible and wont cost me 150$ CAD once the trial period end ??
Thanks !

Oct 15, 2017 at 3:38 PM Post #4,416 of 6,742
Sounds like Sonarworks is way better, but I have Boom 2. There's also Boom 3D but I haven't tried that. Both are each under $20. There may be other EQ programs in the Mac App Store.

Oct 15, 2017 at 3:54 PM Post #4,417 of 6,742
Im currently using my elear with Sonarworks and im really enjoying it with the BK 1974 optimum hi fi curve preset.
Super detailed and it seems to keep the headphone house sound without the 6db 4k dip.

I would like to know what eq program you guys are using that is mac and Tidal compatible and wont cost me 150$ CAD once the trial period end ??
Thanks !
Sonarworks is for getting an accurate flat curve, but you can also use an EQ program, such as Boom as DivaFonda mentions. I use Sonarworks for studio work, but for listening, I'll often use a custom EQ curve with Boom.

You could also take a look at True-fi, which is also by Sonarworks, but a lot cheaper, and offers the ability to compensate bass and treble, while still using the curve for Elear.

Last edited:
Oct 15, 2017 at 4:06 PM Post #4,418 of 6,742
If the Elear is not a headphone you'd recommend for the one or two headphone guy, the guy who can't afford several, what would you recommend I audition.

I will no doubt end up with 2 pairs, in time, one open one closed. As my first experience with the Elear suggests it doesn't do well with deep bass / sub-bass heavy tracks, like "War Anthem" its off the list, maybe.

I have a very broad range of tastes and I suppose it was asking too much to expect the Elear's to cover all, wasn't it? ...... Example: Max Richter, Jerry Goldsmith, Clasical Orchestral, Clasical piano Martha Argerich/Sokolov. Genesis, ACDC, Thin Lizzy, Roddy Frame, Trad Jazz, Eric Bibb, London Grammar, Steve Earle, Willie Nelson, Alan Parsons Project, Murray Head, Falco.

And many more, a wide range, its asking too much I suppose? .... You chaps would have several covering this for example ?

I could hear that I would've enjoyed the Elears other than the above mentioned issue. Didn't give them enough air time to notice the 4k complaint. I have the Senn HD650 and I knew from the off I could sell them in favour of the Elear, until.

That should give you an idea of what may suit me. ..... Options: Try another pair hoping my example was poor, if I'm still not happy about what they give me at the bottom end switch to my floor standers until I can afford to fill that headphone gap? ....... Or?

Cant go above £1000 and I'd have to sell my HD650 to recover some of the cost. Pity but that's how it is.

I'd like to step up guys, if you would grace me with your experience and advice I'd appreciate it.

Last edited:
Oct 15, 2017 at 4:14 PM Post #4,419 of 6,742
If you were that struck by Elear, maybe one more try wouldn't hurt. Can you buy used in Wales? Any authorized dealers there? Otherwise Moon Audio will ship international for $20 off they say on their site(over $399, code Worldwide20), and they have open-box. Otherwise, try the Aeon threads. No one has really spoken badly about either the open or closed, except maybe their appearance. But if you're in the house a lot, it doesn't matter. I don't have either but there seems to be no "you get a good or bad pair" like Elear.

Oct 15, 2017 at 4:25 PM Post #4,420 of 6,742
I have a warranty claim in for my Elear right now, and the lack of response from the customer service is because of their wildly successful promotion recently, or so I've been told.

Just reposting for the other guy who's waiting to hear from them too

Oct 15, 2017 at 4:34 PM Post #4,421 of 6,742
I’m with DivaFonda. I’m on Day 9 with my open box pair of Elears from Moon Audio that only set me back $550US. No problems with any of the nagging issues people have mentioned in previous posts. Coming from my Sennheiser HD 700, if I really think about it, I do miss their fantastic imaging and soundstage BUT the Elears are so full-bodied and musical that they have totally seduced me.

As we all know, there are no “perfect” headphones. One man’s treasure is another man’s over-hyped trash, especially in online forums. It simply boils down to what your listening preferences are and what you can’t live without relative to what any given headphone delivers as part of its sonic signature. And then, of course, there is always the after-purchase tweaking of leashes and amps to further tweak your listening enjoyment.

I find if I just focus on the musical enjoyment factor of my headphones, and don’t over-analyze every track playing for what I’m NOT getting, I find I’m a much happier listener. As such, I’m totally enjoying my Elear experience so far.

Oct 15, 2017 at 4:39 PM Post #4,422 of 6,742
If the Elear is not a headphone you'd recommend for the one or two headphone guy, the guy who can't afford several, what would you recommend I audition.

I will no doubt end up with 2 pairs, in time, one open one closed. As my first experience with the Elear suggests it doesn't do well with deep bass / sub-bass heavy tracks, like "War Anthem" its off the list, maybe.

I have a very broad range of tastes and I suppose it was asking too much to expect the Elear's to cover all, wasn't it? ...... Example: Max Richter, Jerry Goldsmith, Clasical Orchestral, Clasical piano Martha Argerich/Sokolov. Genesis, ACDC, Thin Lizzy, Roddy Frame, Trad Jazz, Eric Bibb, London Grammar, Steve Earle, Willie Nelson, Alan Parsons Project, Murray Head, Falco.

And many more, a wide range, its asking too much I suppose? .... You chaps would have several covering this for example ?

I could hear that I would've enjoyed the Elears other than the above mentioned issue. Didn't give them enough air time to notice the 4k complaint. I have the Senn HD650 and I knew from the off I could sell them in favour of the Elear, until.

That should give you an idea of what may suit me. ..... Options: Try another pair hoping my example was poor, if I'm still not happy about what they give me at the bottom end switch to my floor standers until I can afford to fill that headphone gap? ....... Or?

Cant go above £1000 and I'd have to sell my HD650 to recover some of the cost. Pity but that's how it is.

I'd like to step up guys, if you would grace me with your experience and advice I'd appreciate it.
I think you should give the Beyerdynamic Amiron a listen, or maybe the DT1990. I sold my Elears some time ago. I wasn't impressed by them at all. The Amiron and DT1990 both handle bass and sub bass better than the Elear. Both have have much faster bass then the Elears, which I found sounded slow and muddled. I'm listening to War Anthem on the Amirons at the moment and they handle it very well. The DT1990 is is very clean sounding, whereas the Amiron is a like a slightly coloured or warmer sounding version. When I A/B the Amiron and DT1990 I notice a little resonance to the Amiron's sound, a little like a closed headphone. Overall I prefer the sound of the Amiron as it's a bit more forgiving.

Oct 15, 2017 at 4:42 PM Post #4,423 of 6,742
I’m with DivaFonda. I’m on Day 9 with my open box pair of Elears from Moon Audio that only set me back $550US. No problems with any of the nagging issues people have mentioned in previous posts. Coming from my Sennheiser HD 700, if I really think about it, I do miss their fantastic imaging and soundstage BUT the Elears are so full-bodied and musical that they have totally seduced me.

As we all know, there are no “perfect” headphones. One man’s treasure is another man’s over-hyped trash, especially in online forums. It simply boils down to what your listening preferences are and what you can’t live without relative to what any given headphone delivers as part of its sonic signature. And then, of course, there is always the after-purchase tweaking of leashes and amps to further tweak your listening enjoyment.

I find if I just focus on the musical enjoyment factor of my headphones, and don’t over-analyze every track playing for what I’m NOT getting, I find I’m a much happier listener. As such, I’m totally enjoying my Elear experience so far.

Very well said... I find it funny to read all the vitriol that accompanies tbe Elears. What it tells me is that they are a very dynamic pair of cans that sparks emotion across the spectrum. In my opinion, they are fantastic. Not perfect, but so enjoyable. Powerful, subtle and most importantly, musical. They are worth the money. I pair with a Silver Dragon cable which makes them that much better. Coupled with my Wells Audio Milo and Metrum Musette, the Elears sing.

Oct 15, 2017 at 4:50 PM Post #4,424 of 6,742
I have a warranty claim in for my Elear right now, and the lack of response from the customer service is because of their wildly successful promotion recently, or so I've been told.

Just reposting for the other guy who's waiting to hear from them too
I've always thought of headphones as something which should last a lifetime and that don't go wrong - That is until I read about the Elear and Utopia. Even the cost of replacement pads is pretty off-putting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back