Focal Elear - Impressions Thread
Oct 16, 2017 at 4:29 AM Post #4,441 of 6,742
I got my Elears a month ago...have had no issues with them, and the only reason they don't get more head time is because I bought the Utopias and, well, they are the Utopias :).

I've tried both sets of headphones with the Mojo as well as the WA8 Eclipse...the latter being my go to DAC/AMP since I got it a few weeks ago(Figured if Focal was using it themselves to show off the Utopia I couldn't go wrong...and the combo is magical).

When I was asking around about the Utopias (mainly because I really liked the Elears and wanted to ensure I'd be getting a real upgrade by going to the Utopias) I was told that they take all the good of the Elear; eliminate all the weaknesses; and do everything 10x better...and after spending a few weeks with them I have to agree. I did have a plastic moving sound in the right ear of my first pair of Utopias (didn't affect sound quality but was there if I tipped my head to the right or left), but a quick and painless swap via the guys at headphones.com took care of getting me a new pair that have been nothing short of amazing.

With the Utopia and the WA8 pairing I think the last part of the chain is to upgrade the stock cable that came with the Utopia, and as such, I ordered a Danacable Lazuli Reference FC that should be here in early Nov, earlier if I'm lucky. Will post some impressions once I get to try out.
Stop it!!
I haven't had the chance to hear the Utopia's yet :frowning2:( It's #1 on my list though.
Working a lot of overtime next month, and the extra money alone will be enough to buy a 2nd hand Utopia. Or put in a savings account... I'm really eager to hear the Utopia, but I'm a little afraid that I might go crazy and blow all the overtime money on them... They will have to be a big upgrade for me to consider it though.

promises of taking the strengths of the Elear and be better... That's what intrigues me about the Utopia. I've heard some of the other flagships and none of them manages to catch you with such engaging, dynamic sound like the Elear does. Also, the Elear's soundstage sounds very natural to me, intimate with no exaggerated width or depth, it just sounds right to me. People say the Utopia's are the same way but with more precise imaging, tighter and with more resolution, that sounds like the dream for me.

Oct 16, 2017 at 12:51 PM Post #4,442 of 6,742
Stop it!!
I haven't had the chance to hear the Utopia's yet :frowning2:( It's #1 on my list though.
Working a lot of overtime next month, and the extra money alone will be enough to buy a 2nd hand Utopia. Or put in a savings account... I'm really eager to hear the Utopia, but I'm a little afraid that I might go crazy and blow all the overtime money on them... They will have to be a big upgrade for me to consider it though.

promises of taking the strengths of the Elear and be better... That's what intrigues me about the Utopia. I've heard some of the other flagships and none of them manages to catch you with such engaging, dynamic sound like the Elear does. Also, the Elear's soundstage sounds very natural to me, intimate with no exaggerated width or depth, it just sounds right to me. People say the Utopia's are the same way but with more precise imaging, tighter and with more resolution, that sounds like the dream for me.

If dynamic sound is one of your major criteria it is pretty safe to say that Utopia will give you significantly more. In fact, in comparison and only in comparison, Elear sounds significantly duller. Say drum hits are more impactful and closer to a live performance with Utopia. I recommend reading the comparison section in the following review about the Elear and Utopia if you haven’t already.

http://aornic.com/reviews/2017/2/17/focal-utopia

I am saying this because I too wanted dynamic sound and that’s why I prefer the Elear to the rest of the 1K plus headphones except the HE 1000 v2. The open box deal is an excellent one IMO but If you are perfectly happy with the Elear give U a good listen and think twice.

Oct 16, 2017 at 12:57 PM Post #4,443 of 6,742
I’m with DivaFonda. I’m on Day 9 with my open box pair of Elears from Moon Audio that only set me back $550US. No problems with any of the nagging issues people have mentioned in previous posts. Coming from my Sennheiser HD 700, if I really think about it, I do miss their fantastic imaging and soundstage BUT the Elears are so full-bodied and musical that they have totally seduced me.

As we all know, there are no “perfect” headphones. One man’s treasure is another man’s over-hyped trash, especially in online forums. It simply boils down to what your listening preferences are and what you can’t live without relative to what any given headphone delivers as part of its sonic signature. And then, of course, there is always the after-purchase tweaking of leashes and amps to further tweak your listening enjoyment.

I find if I just focus on the musical enjoyment factor of my headphones, and don’t over-analyze every track playing for what I’m NOT getting, I find I’m a much happier listener. As such, I’m totally enjoying my Elear experience so far.

I feel the need to balance out the negative posts a little. I'm really enjoying my Elears and have zero issues with them as well. :) I think the few who are having issues are overshadowing the great abilities of this headphone. I do not want to diminish the complaints of those with defects but there must be the silent majority out there who have had no issues with it.

Oct 16, 2017 at 12:59 PM Post #4,444 of 6,742
Stop it!!

I really liked the Elears and found myself liking them so much I had to try to the Utopias. For me, the Elears were enough to say time to tell my Ether C Flows...the Utopia are, again for me, so much better than both that I feel bad the Elears are sitting in a box...and I'm very much looking forward to when the Danacable arrives.

Oct 16, 2017 at 2:08 PM Post #4,445 of 6,742
For those folks who are put off by the bass issues, that's understandable. However, for those of us who have been fortunate enough not to suffer the disappointment of a cracking driver, the bass on the Elear is the most enjoyable I've heard from a headphone.

For reference, my other 'phones are: Shure SRH1540, Denon MM400, Audio Technica M50X, RHA T20 (with bass filters), Shure SE215 and Sony EX650 - good bass is a must! Also previously owned a pair of ASG 2.5, notorious around here for having one of best bass responses in an IEM.

When it came to deciding which open back to add, I auditioned the Beyer T1 (2nd Gen), Audeze LCD-2 and the Elear. All great cans, but I came away with the Elear. Anyway, the point I'm trying to labour is that if you end up with an Elear that doesn't produce driver cracking/clipping at any sane listening levels, then you'll be blessed with a truly fantastic pair, that are unique sounding amongst their headphone brethren. Risk and reward with these babies, and the reward is worth the risk.

Oct 16, 2017 at 2:16 PM Post #4,446 of 6,742
I feel the need to balance out the negative posts a little. I'm really enjoying my Elears and have zero issues with them as well. :) I think the few who are having issues are overshadowing the great abilities of this headphone. I do not want to diminish the complaints of those with defects but there must be the silent majority out there who have had no issues with it.
I purchased my Elears in February and have had no problems. I have to smile every time I use them. In fact, right now I'm listening to Sonny Landreth - Recorded Live in Lafayette, and with a big smile on my face, I have to say I can't get over how musical they are. The Elears swing. I have no complaints how they sound.

Oct 16, 2017 at 2:19 PM Post #4,447 of 6,742
If dynamic sound is one of your major criteria it is pretty safe to say that Utopia will give you significantly more. In fact, in comparison and only in comparison, Elear sounds significantly duller. Say drum hits are more impactful and closer to a live performance with Utopia. I recommend reading the comparison section in the following review about the Elear and Utopia if you haven’t already.

http://aornic.com/reviews/2017/2/17/focal-utopia

I am saying this because I too wanted dynamic sound and that’s why I prefer the Elear to the rest of the 1K plus headphones except the HE 1000 v2. The open box deal is an excellent one IMO but If you are perfectly happy with the Elear give U a good listen and think twice.
Do you think the perceived dynamics of the Utopia is greater than the Elear because of the frequency response somehow? Maybe the more aggressive upper-mid helps remove the "dull" from the elear. I'm just asking because that is somewhat the experience I have when i eq the elear to remove the 4k dip.
Maybe the Utopia is just faster and tighter... From what I've heard, that is likely true too.

I actually want to stay away from too detailed comparisons between the two before demo'ing, as I want my impressions to be as much "my own" as possible, especilly if I'm gonna consider dropping a load of cash on them!
I too prefer Elear over most (or all) 1k+ cans, like the lcd2, lcd-X, hex (and even hek v2), l300, pm-1, hd800s etc.

What I've pictured as my end-game for some time is the stax L700. I heard it alongside the 009 and susvara, and to my ears the resolution of the L700 was in the same league as both of them. It also has the fullness and warmth that I missed in the long run on the L300.
Now since then I've sold my L300 like I said, because it didn't see much use vs the Elear, which honestly came as a surprise to me. The resolution, separation, detail etc. Was obviously better on the Stax, but in the end I think it was the dynamic punch (or lack thereof) that made me pick up the elear time and time again. This has made me rethink my "end-game" goals too, I'm thinking the Utopia vs L700 may be the Elear vs L300 all over again.
The thing is, it takes some time before the lack of dynamic punch becomes clear to me. In the start I'm just so taken by the e-stat resolution, but over time I get used to it and start wanting for a more "physical" experience.
I can't wait to hear the Utopia and see if it's good enough in the "e-stat strengths" (resolution, detail, separation, imaging) to best the them overall, with it's superior dynamics.

Oct 16, 2017 at 2:26 PM Post #4,448 of 6,742
For those folks who are put off by the bass issues, that's understandable. However, for those of us who have been fortunate enough not to suffer the disappointment of a cracking driver, the bass on the Elear is the most enjoyable I've heard from a headphone.

For reference, my other 'phones are: Shure SRH1540, Denon MM400, Audio Technica M50X, RHA T20 (with bass filters), Shure SE215 and Sony EX650 - good bass is a must! Also previously owned a pair of ASG 2.5, notorious around here for having one of best bass responses in an IEM.

When it came to deciding which open back to add, I auditioned the Beyer T1 (2nd Gen), Audeze LCD-2 and the Elear. All great cans, but I came away with the Elear. Anyway, the point I'm trying to labour is that if you end up with an Elear that doesn't produce driver cracking/clipping at any sane listening levels, then you'll be blessed with a truly fantastic pair, that are unique sounding amongst their headphone brethren. Risk and reward with these babies, and the reward is worth the risk.
exactly! I believe there's a great silent majority that has perfectly functioning drivers. Personally I've tried 4 pairs of Elears and none of them crackled.

And if someone is disappointed in the subbas response of the Elear, try sonarworks reference 4 or true-fi. It brings out subbass like magic, dare I say close to LCD-2 quality subbass?
I'm listening to "Hey Now" by London Grammar, the bassline that emerges in the mid portion of the song, I can feel it vibrate down my neck and into my chest. I've only experienced that with Audeze's before. With cans with anything else than exceptional subbass (icluding the stock elear sound) the same bassline does not sound very impressive. Please try for youselves and tell me if I'm crazy!

Oct 16, 2017 at 2:44 PM Post #4,449 of 6,742
exactly! I believe there's a great silent majority that has perfectly functioning drivers. Personally I've tried 4 pairs of Elears and none of them crackled.

And if someone is disappointed in the subbas response of the Elear, try sonarworks reference 4 or true-fi. It brings out subbass like magic, dare I say close to LCD-2 quality subbass?
I'm listening to "Hey Now" by London Grammar, the bassline that emerges in the mid portion of the song, I can feel it vibrate down my neck and into my chest. I've only experienced that with Audeze's before. With cans with anything else than exceptional subbass (icluding the stock elear sound) the same bassline does not sound very impressive. Please try for youselves and tell me if I'm crazy!

Not crazy; bass is real! Just gave the tune a listen on Tidal. I like to throw Aliens by Luke Lambert into the mix for bass/sub-bass tests - around 30 seconds in is where the magic happens.

Oct 16, 2017 at 3:12 PM Post #4,450 of 6,742
I purchased my Elears on October 19, 2016 ; a year later, with a too many listening hours to count, these cans have had no issues for me. They continue to sound wonderful.

I feel really badly for those that have had issues, hopefully you folks can get them sorted out. i know I'd be bummed if I had to go through what some of you are experiencing

Oct 16, 2017 at 3:32 PM Post #4,451 of 6,742
Do you think the perceived dynamics of the Utopia is greater than the Elear because of the frequency response somehow? Maybe the more aggressive upper-mid helps remove the "dull" from the elear. I'm just asking because that is somewhat the experience I have when i eq the elear to remove the 4k dip.
Maybe the Utopia is just faster and tighter... From what I've heard, that is likely true too.

I actually want to stay away from too detailed comparisons between the two before demo'ing, as I want my impressions to be as much "my own" as possible, especilly if I'm gonna consider dropping a load of cash on them!
I too prefer Elear over most (or all) 1k+ cans, like the lcd2, lcd-X, hex (and even hek v2), l300, pm-1, hd800s etc.

What I've pictured as my end-game for some time is the stax L700. I heard it alongside the 009 and susvara, and to my ears the resolution of the L700 was in the same league as both of them. It also has the fullness and warmth that I missed in the long run on the L300.
Now since then I've sold my L300 like I said, because it didn't see much use vs the Elear, which honestly came as a surprise to me. The resolution, separation, detail etc. Was obviously better on the Stax, but in the end I think it was the dynamic punch (or lack thereof) that made me pick up the elear time and time again. This has made me rethink my "end-game" goals too, I'm thinking the Utopia vs L700 may be the Elear vs L300 all over again.
The thing is, it takes some time before the lack of dynamic punch becomes clear to me. In the start I'm just so taken by the e-stat resolution, but over time I get used to it and start wanting for a more "physical" experience.
I can't wait to hear the Utopia and see if it's good enough in the "e-stat strengths" (resolution, detail, separation, imaging) to best the them overall, with it's superior dynamics.

I think Utopia is just faster and more nuanced across the entire frequency spectrum. Overall it provides you a music picture that is more vibrant and detailed across all frequencies and all instruments, piano included. It is not just say violins where clearly the 4K dip makes the sound duller on the Elear. Is it because the beryllium driver is lighter and Utopia has stronger magnets? Don’t know. I would say yes the experience is more physical or closer to a live performance. How much better is the EQ’ed elear vs the stock version? I don’t know but I will certainly try to find out.

Based on my limited experience with SR 009 and L700 none of them delivers a “punchy” or meaty sound. They are more sort of “airy” even though they have all the qualities you describe and I also appreciate. SR007 or another electrostat may be different. For large classical orchestras I think I prefer the Stax 009 over Utopia by a wide margin. But only for classical. I have heard the Staxes once for about 30 minutes at a local meet. So please take my opinions with a grain of salt.

Last edited:
Oct 16, 2017 at 7:00 PM Post #4,452 of 6,742

Glad to hear it, I'm wanting to hear more positive comments before I decide whether or not to take the plunge for a second time.
One big problem on many forums I find is that people are more likely to post a negative experience than they are a good experience.
It may be less so on here as you guys go deeply into many aspects/levels of whatever headphone your listening to, good, bad and the ugly regardless of price. Much less black and white here, much more subjective, measurements aside, than many other forums I visit. ...... Yes no doubt there are standout do's and dont's but we all have preferences, whatever floats one's boat will sink anothers. ...... Marmite ?

For me, it is very interesting reading, on several levels. Not only do I enjoy reading about a love that has surfaced once again, after about 20 years, but also how people convey what is essentially a subjective like or dislike, the enjoyment of sounds. .... Let's face it if you switch off your critical knowledgeable brain, listen to something, and it pleases you, fundamentally is that not the reason we listen in the first place. .... Of course I know that we as human beings must break it down to better understand. It is interesting though, to me anyway. :)

Last edited:
Oct 16, 2017 at 8:47 PM Post #4,453 of 6,742
Would you guys with Elear's that appear fine with no apparent issues do me a favour?

Play some of "The Machine" sound tracks by Tom Raybold through yours and let me know what you find.
It's laden with heavy bass, at a level comfortable for you of course. And beyond for a second or two if you're brave but please be careful. ..... Cheers!

Last edited:
Oct 16, 2017 at 9:03 PM Post #4,454 of 6,742
Would you guys with Elear's that appear fine with no apparent issues do me a favour?

Play some of "The Machine" sound track by Tom Raybold through yours and let me know what you find.
It's laden with heavy bass, at a level comfortable for you of course. And beyond for a second or two if you're brave but please be careful. ..... Cheers!

That track crackles in every pair of cans I own, in exactly the same place. Sounds like the clipping is in the recording itself - that sounds exactly like digital clipping in the recording.

Oct 16, 2017 at 9:05 PM Post #4,455 of 6,742

Play some of "The Machine" sound track by Tom Raybold through yours and let me know what you find.
That is a very cool soundtrack that sounded amazing through my Elears. I listened to "Birth," "Opening," and "The Machine" with no issues.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back