Focal Elear - Impressions Thread
Oct 14, 2017 at 5:25 PM Post #4,381 of 6,742
Hello folks,
I've not read all this thread, too much.
Can someone clarify please. I too bought Elear's, listened to my first track from Max Richter first impression lovely, I might even sell my HD650's. Next track, War Anthem again Max Richter, as soon as it started with the strong bass/sub-bass "crack, pop, click, crack".
Now, I take damn good care of my hearing, I'm blessed with sharp hearing and at the age off 54 I feel blessed. I spend a lot of time out wild camping and hear things many can not, needless to say if I lost any sensitivity I'd be devastated, can't smell worth a damn mind you! lol
What I'm trying to say is I don't listen at extreme levels, it hurts. The crack from the driver actually hurt, the bass was not hurting and NOT at any higher level than I listen with my HD650. No extra gain, source direct from my PC / Qobuz to Regen to Marantz PM7005 DAC.

I returned them without listening further, very disappointed.

I read that this is not a fault but rather that it's folks driving them too hard with heavy bass.
Is that the consensus? ..... Or, are they just NOT the headphones to use if you enjoy say Max Richter War Anthem and the like?

It seems to me like the latter.

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2017 at 6:54 PM Post #4,383 of 6,742
Seems like Focal had a faulty batch. Others have reported cracking drivers.

Erm, thank you, may be I should read more then.
There was a reply from Focal somewhere indicating levels at which clipping occurs and something regarding bass and midrange balance within a track? Basically saying driven too hard and dangerous to one's hearing, suggesting user error / fault / incompetence and disregard for ones own hearing. Something like that. ...... That's partly what annoyed me later on after my return, and my subsequent email to Focal regarding what I thought to be a problem/issue with the Elears.
They have not bothered to reply by the way. :frowning2: ......? No doubt fed up with, I'm guessing many emails about this.
I did point out I've listened to that track many times and on many headphones, both open and closed, and NEVER experienced this behaviour before. If other headphones DO exhibit this behaviour driven too hard, it proves that I do not listen at excessive levels.
So.., unless you are correct and it was a bad batch, Elear's do not handle tracks like "War Athem" unless levels are reduced "below" exciting and perfectly reasonable levels.
I really hope that my pair was one of that bad batch should it be true, because I would buy again, I can hear that the Elear "could" potentialy be a great headphone for everyone! .....

I'd have to be sure though, that I could listen to all my music, which is broad range, from Metal right through to Clasical piano. .... Only thing I don't listen to is angsty stuff, I'm not an angry type of chap. .. Believe it or not! .. :)

Unfortunately I can't afford different headphones for different tastes, it's a case of buy and recoup by selling, or the other way around, as many have to I'm sure.

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2017 at 7:23 PM Post #4,384 of 6,742
There was a reply from Focal somewhere indicating levels at which clipping occurs and something regarding bass and midrange balance within a track? Basically saying driven too hard and dangerous to one's hearing, suggesting user error / fault / incompetence and disregard for ones own hearing. Something like that. ...... That's partly what annoyed me later on after my return, and my subsequent email to Focal regarding what I thought to be a problem/issue with the Elears.
They have not bothered to reply by the way. :frowning2: ......? No doubt fed up with, I'm guessing many emails about this.
I did point out I've listened to that track many times and on many headphones, both open and closed, and NEVER experienced this behaviour before. If other headphones DO exhibit this behaviour driven too hard, it proves that I do not listen at excessive levels.
So.., unless you are correct and it was a bad batch, Elear's do not handle tracks like "War Athem" unless levels are reduced "below" exciting and perfectly reasonable levels.
I really hope that my pair was one of that bad batch should it be true, because I would buy again, I can hear that the Elear "could" potentialy be a great headphone for everyone! .....

I'd have to be sure though, that I could listen to all my music, which is broad range, from Metal right through to Clasical piano. .... Only thing I don't listen to is angsty stuff, I'm not an angry type of chap. .. Believe it or not! .. :)

Unfortunately I can't afford different headphones for different tastes, it's a case of buy and recoup by selling, or the other way around, as many have to I'm sure.

I had a listen to War anthem (flac, roon>marantz hd-dac>elear) at crazy stupid level and no bottoming out, no cracks, pops or anything else. Just beautiful music.

Oct 14, 2017 at 7:29 PM Post #4,385 of 6,742

The only time I had this happen, was when the source volume was too hot going into the amp. Pulling the volume back a bit on the player before it entered the amp so there was more headroom fixed it completely, and let me crank the volume on the amp much higher without any driver breakdown.

Oct 14, 2017 at 8:08 PM Post #4,387 of 6,742
The only time I had this happen, was when the source volume was too hot going into the amp. Pulling the volume back a bit on the player before it entered the amp so there was more headroom fixed it completely, and let me crank the volume on the amp much higher without any driver breakdown.

Ok understood thank you, I keep the source down at about 70% on Qobuz, which has control over source levels.
Just checked sound settings with the Marantz driver / device and all is as previously set. I confess I did not check source / Qobuz input level when trying the Elears, never come up before tbh. Just started Qobuz now, played some Jerry Goldsmith and got my floorstanders rumbling! ..... Level really low, don't want to wake the sheep or neighbour's, but I can still feel it through my feet 8' feet away! ........ I can see why elephants use it to communicate over miles! :) ......... Sorry I digress, music has a habit of making one do that.
Yes, level looks the same as always and I can't remember altering it for a good while, but it's possible.

Never tried my Mojo either, I was that disappointed I just packed em up tout suite

Oct 14, 2017 at 8:15 PM Post #4,388 of 6,742
Ok understood thank you, I keep the source down at about 70% on Qobuz, which has control over source levels.
Just checked sound settings with the Marantz driver / device and all is as previously set. I confess I did not check source / Qobuz input level when trying the Elears, never come up before tbh. Just started Qobuz now, played some Jerry Goldsmith and got my floorstanders rumbling! ..... Level really low, don't want to wake the sheep or neighbour's, but I can still feel it through my feet 8' feet away! ........ I can see why elephants use it to communicate over miles! :) ......... Sorry I digress, music has a habit of making one do that.
Yes, level looks the same as always and I can't remember altering it for a good while, but it's possible.

Never tried my Mojo either, I was that disappointed I just packed em up tout suite

A lot of people here love the Mojo Elear pairing, might be worth another try.

One thing I did also notice, which is a bit contentious here, as not everyone agrees for the need, but I did notice the Elear drivers being quite rigid when they were brand new, and I did notice them open up after about 100 hours of use (I left them running for a few days when I wasn't home). I've noticed it before with some other cans too. The AKG K553s when I first got them were awful, the bottom end extension was hardly there, and they sounded really rigid and sibilant, they really changed and opened up over the course of a month.

Oct 14, 2017 at 8:25 PM Post #4,389 of 6,742

One thing I did also notice, which is a bit contentious here, as not everyone agrees for the need, but I did notice the Elear drivers being quite rigid when they were brand new, and I did notice them open up after about 100 hours of use (I left them running for a few days when I wasn't home). I've noticed it before with some other cans too. The AKG K553s when I first got them were awful, the bottom end extension was hardly there, and they sounded really rigid and sibilant, they really changed and opened up over the course of a month.
Thx for the 553 tip...I have some in the closet due to sibilance. Was going to sell them but never got around to it.

Bern

Oct 14, 2017 at 8:40 PM Post #4,390 of 6,742
Thx for the 553 tip...I have some in the closet due to sibilance. Was going to sell them but never got around to it.

Bern
Oh, cool. Yeah, I had the K550 before those, which didn't have the same problem out of the box, so it was a surprise, they sounded awful compared to the 550s, to the point where if the store had been open that moment, I'd have taken them right back. But I found a few people online mentioning a similar experience, so I stuck with them, and they really did change significantly, and ended up sounding the same as the 550s, if not a bit more precise.

Oct 14, 2017 at 9:16 PM Post #4,391 of 6,742

Ok ta. I think I'll wait a while for a new batch and give them another go. And try them on the mojo also this time. I had great expectations, quite excited, (I'm still a kid at heart) most I'd ever paid for any single HiFi item, let alone headphones. I think if the UK Focal rep had been here at that moment I'd've hit him over the head with them! ....

Yes I know it's a contentious subject. I personally think "why not" as an old ('ish) retired engineer, someone who's brain tends to lean towards physical laws and i suppose pragmatic, then yes possible in my mind.
Any membrane vibrating in that manner must go through some change over time, especially if it's not pre-stressed so to speak. Even then there must be change but to a lesser degree, time relative.
However, how audible is that change? Again that must depend on the listeners aural sensitivity and how well the brain is tuned, if you like, to that change be it through experience (nurtured) or natural ability. Some people with Aspergers or Aspies as we call each other, have remarkable musical abilities, sorry to say I'm not one of them.

I believe the "m" shaped dome is suspended in a very thin membrane in the case if the Elear. How audible any change to that would be to most one can only guess. But if you say you've heard a change then I believe you have. ...... Lets not get into the psychology of it, best not to go there, agree? ........ :) ..... There are some debates that will never reach conclusion! ...... I know nothing is usually my answer to those questions. Ha ha ha. ... Thanks again.

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2017 at 9:36 PM Post #4,392 of 6,742
Hello folks,
I've not read all this thread, too much.
Can someone clarify please. I too bought Elear's, listened to my first track from Max Richter first impression lovely, I might even sell my HD650's. Next track, War Anthem again Max Richter, as soon as it started with the strong bass/sub-bass "crack, pop, click, crack".
Now, I take damn good care of my hearing, I'm blessed with sharp hearing and at the age off 54 I feel blessed. I spend a lot of time out wild camping and hear things many can not, needless to say if I lost any sensitivity I'd be devastated, can't smell worth a damn mind you! lol
What I'm trying to say is I don't listen at extreme levels, it hurts. The crack from the driver actually hurt, the bass was not hurting and NOT at any higher level than I listen with my HD650. No extra gain, source direct from my PC / Qobuz to Regen to Marantz PM7005 DAC.

I returned them without listening further, very disappointed.

I read that this is not a fault but rather that it's folks driving them too hard with heavy bass.
Is that the consensus? ..... Or, are they just NOT the headphones to use if you enjoy say Max Richter War Anthem and the like?

It seems to me like the latter.
I had the same problem too but of course was accused of listening too loud which I don’t. Appears you have the same issue with the Elears. Poorly designed headphone in my opinion.

Oct 14, 2017 at 9:42 PM Post #4,393 of 6,742
I had the same problem too but of course was accused of listening too loud which I don’t. Appears you have the same issue with the Elears. Poorly designed headphone in my opinion.

Thank you, it's quite wide spread then?
I'm definitely going to wait and keep an eye out for future experiences and comments.
They may make a quiet covert mechanical change to save face, or a quick MK2 will appear. :wink:

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2017 at 9:44 PM Post #4,394 of 6,742
It's a shame I have to agree I'm one of Focal's biggest fan's but the Elear's do have serious issues as much as I love my now third pair of Elear's it gives me pause would I ever buy Focal again I really can't say but probably not..

Oct 14, 2017 at 9:57 PM Post #4,395 of 6,742
It's a shame I have to agree I'm one of Focal's biggest fan's but the Elear's do have serious issues as much as I love my now third pair of Elear's it gives me pause would I ever buy Focal again I really can't say but probably not..

It took three goes, you're a patient fellow. ...... I wonder what the new MrSpeakers Aeon open will be like. I was tempted by the closed but I live alone and dont go anywhere noisy, I hate loud noisy places, so tend to go with openback. I've not tried a closed back headphone I like yet, certainly nothing close to the Aeon price though.
ZMF Ori interests me too but its a long way to send them back from the UK if I don't take to them.

Oh, I tell a lie. Love my B&W P7 wireless BT when swinging in my hammock in the local woods. They sound better somehow when your staring at the stars through the canopy! :)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back