Focal Elear - Impressions Thread
Oct 11, 2017 at 2:57 PM Post #4,351 of 6,742
from where can u buy those adapter and which pads do they fit as I am looking to replace the stock pads for bigger pads but not on the expense of sound quality

I'd love to have a pair of rings as well to try a few different pads I have lying around.

i liked the angled leather pads by brainwavz but i am really looking for that adapter as a professional solution fit, the angled pads add just a little more bass it did not affect so much the mids in my opinion. The comfort level is much better with the brainwavz

I really hope to see those adapter rings being sold as this headphone is amazing and changing pads is something many would consider

we really to get those rings to start proper pad swapping, i would be nice if focal releases different pads we can as clearly using different pads gives different sound impressions

and hopefully ones with bigger pads as to me they are not really over ear like an audeze pad as comfort is not the ultimate with stock pads

FYI, I designed the adapters and had a set printed. Use whichever file format you'd like from the link below (typically depends on the 3D printing service you choose as to which file format they'd like to see), and have them printed using SLS/Nylon. Also, the gap between the two rings where the lip of the pad is inserted requires some cleaning up when you receive them, and it's a tight fit so you'll probably have to use a flat spudger tool or something equivalent to get the lip fully inserted. Enjoy!

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0BwsCSISU3WvIdlZDcmlxM0ViZWc

Oct 11, 2017 at 3:01 PM Post #4,352 of 6,742
FYI, I designed the adapters and had a set printed. Use whichever file format you'd like from the link below (typically depends on the 3D printing service you choose as to which file format they'd like to see), and have them printed using SLS/Nylon. Also, the gap between the two rings where the lip of the pad is inserted requires some cleaning up when you receive them, and it's a tight fit so you'll probably have to use a flat spudger tool or something equivalent to get the lip fully inserted. Enjoy!

Dude, that is insane. Thanks for that. I'll have to find a printing service to see how hard it'd be to get it done.

Oct 11, 2017 at 3:15 PM Post #4,353 of 6,742

is it possible you make me one and sell it to me that is ready to be used as i am not good with using tools and fitting things

Oct 11, 2017 at 3:36 PM Post #4,354 of 6,742
I couldn't agree with you more. I'm on my 5th day and I am thrilled with these headphones. A clear upgrade in most ways from my Sennheiser HD700's, minus their amazing sound staging and imaging. It's been such a thrill to go back and listen to some of my favorite albums through these Elears and experience noticeably more musical enjoyment and emotional connection to the music. The "open box" pricing at Moon Audio made this expensive purchase possible. However, now I'm considering upgrading my Schiit Audio Valhalla 2 OTL headphone amp with a solid state amp to see if I can squeeze out some better sound staging and imaging. I loved the Valhalla 2 with the Sennheiser HD700's, taming a bit of their analytical tendencies, but maybe there is a better pairing for the Elears? If anyone has any positive experiences/suggestions pairing a sub-$1K headphone amp to the Elears, I'd love to hear them.
Jotunheim! Great amp for pretty much anything, and really draws out every last bit of punch and dynamics from the Elear. The Jot is neutral-sounding and a great pairing with the Elear imo. Personally I wouldn't pair the Elear with something warm, as I find the Elear warm enough on a neutral amp.

Oct 11, 2017 at 3:38 PM Post #4,355 of 6,742
Dude, that is insane. Thanks for that. I'll have to find a printing service to see how hard it'd be to get it done.

No problem! I used https://www.3dhubs.com/. If it's your first time ordering something they give you $10 off I believe.

Oct 11, 2017 at 10:57 PM Post #4,356 of 6,742
Yes I just tried it but unfortunately I do not think it support asio driver so I am unable to make it work with My chord Mojo and Foobar with any other media player I is working but in this case no bitperfect thru the Mojo In HD files but maybe I cannot set it up properly!

The Sonarworks plugin now supports the Elear, which will work with Foobar etc. They also just released version 4.

Oct 11, 2017 at 11:23 PM Post #4,357 of 6,742
Jotunheim! Great amp for pretty much anything, and really draws out every last bit of punch and dynamics from the Elear. The Jot is neutral-sounding and a great pairing with the Elear imo. Personally I wouldn't pair the Elear with something warm, as I find the Elear warm enough on a neutral amp.
I appreciate the suggestion but the Jotunheim is a step backwards from the Schiit Audio gear I already own/use. My Bifrost Multibit DAC is better than the Jotunheim's (IMO) and even though the Valhalla is tubed, it still imparts a lovely tone. If I'm sticking with Schiit gear, which I would have no problem doing, I'm thinking more along the lines of the Mjolnir 2 and trying it with the LISST "tubes." I'm also wondering about the Rupert Neve head amp.

Oct 12, 2017 at 1:22 AM Post #4,358 of 6,742
I thought I'd share my journey with the Elear. I've now had them little over a month, in case it helps anyone on their journey with them.

Upon first try, I was little put off by how low-mid forward/dominant they seemed. After Eq'ing them to my preference, I gave them a good auditioning over a few weeks, until then trying the Sonarworks True-fi plugin, and now the Sonarworks reference 3 with the Elear added, which totally fixed my dislike of their natural low-mid forward curve.

I have spent 20+ years playing around with audio production, so I've become used to a fairly flat response curve, and have become accustomed to a more analytical sound, hence my need to EQ the Elear. I realize this probably has the purists cringing, but I rarely expect a pair of headphones to match my prefered sound signature, unless I'm using a pair of studio reference cans for studio work, that were made to be flat.

For reference, other cans I've got very used to are: AKG K550, and K553, AKG K701, AGK k702, K712, Sennheiser PXC 550 (wireless), Beyer DT100s, Beyer DT880, and various Sony MDRs.

I went through a series of source updates, and aftermarket cables during the month too, and noticed a number of things.

They're the most responsive/revealing of source cans I've ever used. By this I mean, that the experience varied much more based on what was driving them, than any other can I've used.

Things that varied the most, were soundstage, separation, and perceived audio quality.

Sources:

iPhone - Single ended stock cable - horrible experience. They sounded thin, lifeless, and dull.

Apogee Duet and Ensemble - Single ended stock cable - Clean, detailed, but wasn't overly impressed with the soundstage

Tascam DM4800 studio mixing board (headphone out) - Single ended stock cable - (with EQ) - solid, reliable representation of mixes/production tracks in progress- decent soundstage, very dynamic

Aune T1se Amp/tube dac - single ended stock cable - This is where I got a surprise - the soundstage got much wider - in fairness, it's artificially wide, but enjoyable, but what surprised me is that other cans like the AKG 702s/712s sounded wide, almost independent of what was driving them. The Elear seemed to open up considerably, and made me realize that the experience with them was much more dependent on what was driving them. The Aune T1 is a fairly cheap tube dac amp, so I wasn't expecting much from it, but in fairness, it's quite impressive for it's price. I later tried different tubes in it, and was even more impressed.

Schiit Mjolnir 2 - I then purchased the Mjolnir. It's then that I fell in love with the Elears. After ordering 30 different tube pairs, as well as trying the LISST tubes, and experiencing the surprisingly vast difference in sound of many of the tubes, I tried using the balanced outs of my Tascam DM4800 into the Mjolnir. The sound was great, as before, but with more detail and resolve from the Mjolnir. Soundstage wasn't super-wide, but more accurate (The LISST tubes are great for studio work, as they are well balanced, and fairly neutral to my ears, but not that exciting to listen to in comparison to a good set of tubes).

I then plugged in the Aune T1 DAC output, into the Mjolnir inputs, and that's where I've stayed ever since, now lusting after a better DAC.

The best combination I've found for me so far, is an Amperex 7308 Jan 60s tube in the Aune to get the warmth, DAC output fed into the Mjolnir with a pair of Voskhod 76 6n23p tubes in the Mjolnir, which to my ears have great top and bottom extension, and incredible detail and resolve, without being too mid forward.

The final change I recently made was with cables. I got a custom balanced copper litz cable made, which didn't change the sound signature, but did sound more dynamic, and needed less of a turn on the amp volume knob to get to more than loud enough for listening, and overall sounded a bit more lively.

I then got a UPOCC silver plated copper balanced cable custom made. This was another surprise. It really opened up the highs, and gave better separation, as well as a slightly wider soundstage (although that might be an illusion of the better separation). I don't think I've experienced a cable making such a difference to the sound signature before. I've certainly heard the difference between cheap, and good quality cables, but not a really noticeable difference in sound signature and quality.

So to sum up my findings and surprises, The Elear, to me, sound very different depending on the source driving them. The soundstage went from narrow, to wide, to super wide just with different source equipment. They appear to be very good at revealing the signature of different tubes very well, and with the right source equipment, can be very detailed and revealing. Cables can make a difference to the sound, and silver plated seemed to really open things up. I'd be curious if a solid silver cable made more of a difference, although I'd be cautious of making them too bright.

Now listening back to the other headphones I listed, I can notice less separation, less dynamics, less detail, and just an overall loss of clarity.

This was my experience. your mileage may well vary. I know everyone hears differently, and has different sound preferences. I think the main point I found was that experimentation with source equipment really changed my opinion of the Elears.

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2017 at 2:22 AM Post #4,359 of 6,742
I appreciate the suggestion but the Jotunheim is a step backwards from the Schiit Audio gear I already own/use. My Bifrost Multibit DAC is better than the Jotunheim's (IMO) and even though the Valhalla is tubed, it still imparts a lovely tone. If I'm sticking with Schiit gear, which I would have no problem doing, I'm thinking more along the lines of the Mjolnir 2 and trying it with the LISST "tubes." I'm also wondering about the Rupert Neve head amp.

A Cavalli Liquid Carbon (v1 or v2) can easily be had for under $1000 these days with a nice balanced XLR replacement cable. I know I'm really enjoying the combo.

Oct 12, 2017 at 2:28 AM Post #4,360 of 6,742
The Sonarworks plugin now supports the Elear, which will work with Foobar etc. They also just released version 4.
Maybe, but on my system I am using an external DAC chord mojo and no way I can make it woks specially with Hd files I succeeded to make it play with widows media player and Mojo but bit perfect is lost in the process I would appreciate if you can explain the exact way to have it working with foobar + Chord Mojo

Oct 12, 2017 at 3:07 AM Post #4,361 of 6,742
My experience with the Elears has been the same. Extremely revealing when it comes to the best and worst in gear. You definitely know when something along the chain isn't quite cutting it and you can definitely hear it when you upgrade something along the chain.

Oct 12, 2017 at 3:13 AM Post #4,362 of 6,742
Are you saying that out of experience, or just the price points?
I agree you should keep the bimby, the Jot dac isn't on that level. But the Jot as a pure amp is a beast, and sounds great. IMO the Mjolnir with LISST isn't an upgrade over the Jot, but if you want the ability to go with tubes too, then the Mjolnir is a great choice.

Oct 12, 2017 at 6:12 AM Post #4,363 of 6,742
I thought I'd share my journey with the Elear. I've now had them little over a month, in case it helps anyone on their journey with them.

Upon first try, I was little put off by how low-mid forward/dominant they seemed. After Eq'ing them to my preference, I gave them a good auditioning over a few weeks, until then trying the Sonarworks True-fi plugin, and now the Sonarworks reference 3 with the Elear added, which totally fixed my dislike of their natural low-mid forward curve.

I have spent 20+ years playing around with audio production, so I've become used to a fairly flat response curve, and have become accustomed to a more analytical sound, hence my need to EQ the Elear. I realize this probably has the purists cringing, but I rarely expect a pair of headphones to match my prefered sound signature, unless I'm using a pair of studio reference cans for studio work, that were made to be flat.

For reference, other cans I've got very used to are: AKG K550, and K553, AKG K701, AGK k702, K712, Sennheiser PXC 550 (wireless), Beyer DT100s, Beyer DT880, and various Sony MDRs.

I went through a series of source updates, and aftermarket cables during the month too, and noticed a number of things.

They're the most responsive/revealing of source cans I've ever used. By this I mean, that the experience varied much more based on what was driving them, than any other can I've used.

Things that varied the most, were soundstage, separation, and perceived audio quality.

Sources:

iPhone - Single ended stock cable - horrible experience. They sounded thin, lifeless, and dull.

Apogee Duet and Ensemble - Single ended stock cable - Clean, detailed, but wasn't overly impressed with the soundstage

Tascam DM4800 studio mixing board (headphone out) - Single ended stock cable - (with EQ) - solid, reliable representation of mixes/production tracks in progress- decent soundstage, very dynamic

Aune T1se Amp/tube dac - single ended stock cable - This is where I got a surprise - the soundstage got much wider - in fairness, it's artificially wide, but enjoyable, but what surprised me is that other cans like the AKG 702s/712s sounded wide, almost independent of what was driving them. The Elear seemed to open up considerably, and made me realize that the experience with them was much more dependent on what was driving them. The Aune T1 is a fairly cheap tube dac amp, so I wasn't expecting much from it, but in fairness, it's quite impressive for it's price. I later tried different tubes in it, and was even more impressed.

Schiit Mjolnir 2 - I then purchased the Mjolnir. It's then that I fell in love with the Elears. After ordering 30 different tube pairs, as well as trying the LISST tubes, and experiencing the surprisingly vast difference in sound of many of the tubes, I tried using the balanced outs of my Tascam DM4800 into the Mjolnir. The sound was great, as before, but with more detail and resolve from the Mjolnir. Soundstage wasn't super-wide, but more accurate (The LISST tubes are great for studio work, as they are well balanced, and fairly neutral to my ears, but not that exciting to listen to in comparison to a good set of tubes).

I then plugged in the Aune T1 DAC output, into the Mjolnir inputs, and that's where I've stayed ever since, now lusting after a better DAC.

The best combination I've found for me so far, is an Amperex 7308 Jan 60s tube in the Aune to get the warmth, DAC output fed into the Mjolnir with a pair of Voskhod 76 6n23p tubes in the Mjolnir, which to my ears have great top and bottom extension, and incredible detail and resolve, without being too mid forward.

The final change I recently made was with cables. I got a custom balanced copper litz cable made, which didn't change the sound signature, but did sound more dynamic, and needed less of a turn on the amp volume knob to get to more than loud enough for listening, and overall sounded a bit more lively.

I then got a UPOCC silver plated copper balanced cable custom made. This was another surprise. It really opened up the highs, and gave better separation, as well as a slightly wider soundstage (although that might be an illusion of the better separation). I don't think I've experienced a cable making such a difference to the sound signature before. I've certainly heard the difference between cheap, and good quality cables, but not a really noticeable difference in sound signature and quality.

So to sum up my findings and surprises, The Elear, to me, sound very different depending on the source driving them. The soundstage went from narrow, to wide, to super wide just with different source equipment. They appear to be very good at revealing the signature of different tubes very well, and with the right source equipment, can be very detailed and revealing. Cables can make a difference to the sound, and silver plated seemed to really open things up. I'd be curious if a solid silver cable made more of a difference, although I'd be cautious of making them too bright.

Now listening back to the other headphones I listed, I can notice less separation, less dynamics, less detail, and just an overall loss of clarity.

This was my experience. your mileage may well vary. I know everyone hears differently, and has different sound preferences. I think the main point I found was that experimentation with source equipment really changed my opinion of the Elears.
What a terrific post! Thank you. Your experience with different cables was very interesting, as I was also thinking a silver clad copper, or pure silver cable might have a beneficial impact on the Elear’s sound. I’ve looked at options from Moon Audio, WyWires, Stefan Audio Art and Lavricables. The challenge is their cabling is as expensive, if not more, than what I paid for my open box Elears. So, I’ll be enjoying my incredibly long and heavy stock cable for several months until I’ve saved up the cash for the best replacement leash.

As for a new amp, I’m going to bring my Elears to the Schiitr retail store and listen to them on the Mjolnir 2 (and Jotunheim, just to be thorough) and see what improvements I hear. I’m also curious about the Rupert Neve headphone amp after reading more about it in the forums here and online.

Oct 12, 2017 at 6:16 AM Post #4,364 of 6,742
A Cavalli Liquid Carbon (v1 or v2) can easily be had for under $1000 these days with a nice balanced XLR replacement cable. I know I'm really enjoying the combo.
I went to the Cavalli website and looked at all of their options. Everything they make is listed as “sold out” but you’re right, the used route on a Liquid Carbon is a tantalizing choice and I love the idea of going balanced.

Oct 12, 2017 at 7:01 AM Post #4,365 of 6,742
Dear all,

We have read your concern about spare parts and headphones repair.

The official warranty of these headphones is 2 years by default. There are then specific cases in some countries for potential extension.

Regarding spare parts, cables and ear pads are available as After-Sales Service if necessary. Moreover, ear pads are also available for sale as accessories if you want / need to change them. Please contact your local distributor directly for any request: https://store.focal.com/en/store-locator

Regarding the driver of the headphones, it is actually possible to fix it. However, as for our high-end loudspeakers, any repair has to be done by Focal to ensure a quality process and control of the repair. It also enables us to analyse the headphones and in turn improve our products. If your headphones are still under warranty, you need to contact the local distributor to send your headphones back to Focal for repair. If they’re not, the process is the same, but the distributor will send you a quote first, that you need to accept in order to send your headphones back.

However, there is no spare part for mechanical repair. We need to change the whole structure of the headphones.

In conclusion, your local distributor remains your main contact for all questions and/or repairs.

Thank you all for your understanding

Best regards,

Marine, Community Manager Focal

Focal Stay updated on Focal at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.focal.com/us/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back