Focal Elear - Impressions Thread
Jul 8, 2017 at 5:49 PM Post #3,556 of 6,742
Try what I like to call the "SuperTweeterTest"

Put a test tone of (in your case) 14khz with a set of cans at what should be a reasonable listening level. The trick is be in a closed set of cans and stay there for at least 5 or so minutes. Yeah I know it sounds like torture but try it. If you get the sense that there is something missing when you take off the cans but didn't seem to notice it while under the cans it means your ear can still recognize the frequency being there. The ear is a little like a nerve in that it can repair itself if not too far gone. But the ear has little hair like folicals that if lost they don't come back and that is where your high frequency is recognized by your ear as I understand it. I'm schooled/trained in acoustics not audiology

Thanks, I’ll give it a shot! I may also go see a doctor and get tested properly. I can tell that my ear is learning as I’ve gotten decent gear for the first time and started focusing on critical listening. I’m hearing a lot more detail than I ever have before, and that’s partially gear and partially improved listening skills. I’m hopeful my ears are too damaged to keep picking up more detail, as it has been an awesome experience these last few months.

Jul 8, 2017 at 6:08 PM Post #3,557 of 6,742
After a long courtship and several in store demos and comparisons to phones I own, I yesterday bought the Elears. In store I found them superior to the LCD-X, HE-X and HD800X. The HD800S are generally my default phones but I have recently become intolerant of the Sennheiser sound.

At home in the light of day I feel there is an awful lot of zing in the treble and anything that has fingersnaps, handclaps or snare drum rattle really stands out, almost to the point of hitting peak at times. It's not a sibilance, but rather what just seems like an extended dynamic. Not a deal breaker, but if it were any worse it would be and I suppose I bear some disappointment at how different they are to the pair I had demoed. Not the same smooth yet resolved sound. Something like Portishead's Numb sounds very weird indeed through these, far too punchy. Even Morcheeba's super smooth Almost Done is presented in a difficult light with the snare and high hat going far too loud.

Perhaps they will settle in, but I am not a big break in believer.

The other side of the coin is that they bear a sort of presence and resolution that easily outclasses the HD800S. There have been a few spooky moments with the Elear where you get an "in the room" feeling of live performance that I can't say I have heard with any other dynamic phone. So this is enough to keep going with them for the time being.

Last edited:
Jul 8, 2017 at 6:52 PM Post #3,558 of 6,742
After a long courtship and several in store demos and comparisons to phones I own, I yesterday bought the Elears. In store I found them superior to the LCD-X, HE-X and HD800X. The HD800S are generally my default phones but I have recently become intolerant of the Sennheiser sound.

At home in the light of day I feel there is an awful lot of zing in the treble and anything that has fingersnaps, handclaps or snare drum rattle really stands out, almost to the point of hitting peak at times. It's not a sibilance, but rather what just seems like an extended dynamic. Not a deal breaker, but if it were any worse it would be and I suppose I bear some disappointment at how different they are to the pair I had demoed. Not the same smooth yet resolved sound. Something like Portishead's Numb sounds very weird indeed through these, far too punchy. Even Morcheeba's super smooth Almost Done is presented in a difficult light with the snare and high hat going far too loud.

The other side of the coin is that they bear a sort of presence and resolution that easily outclasses the HD800S. There have been a few spooky moments with the Elear where you get an "in the room" feeling of live performance that I can't say I have heard with any other dynamic phone. So this is enough to keep going with them for the time being.
Did you demo with the same upstream components as the ones you use at home? If not, that would be the first thing to look at.
Also, I found that mine really improved with a little burn in. Not a huge believer in burn-in myself, but it really made a difference on these.

Jul 8, 2017 at 6:54 PM Post #3,559 of 6,742
Any idea how accurate those hearing test on YouTube are? I’ve taken 6 or 7 of them from different sites, and my results are very consistent...I can’t hear anything above 12,000 Hz, no matter what volume I listen at. From what I’ve read, I should be hearing up to 14k at least (I’m 49). I assume since I don’t hear anything in the upper frequencies, that explains why I’ve never experienced ‘semblance’ or ‘harshness’ that so many others describe on these threads.

Everyone has had different exposure to loud noise, different anatomy, genetics, health, etc., so the average of 14kHz at 49 may not apply to you. Personally, I wouldn't worry much about 12kHz as there is very little musical information there and above. Check out the chart below:

main_chart.jpg

Jason is right, the ear has hair like cells that are different sizes and each one hears a different frequency. Once they are gone/damaged then that's it, they are gone forever. By the way, I've read that if you can't hear a frequency in a sweep then don't turn up the volume as you may create more damage.

Last edited:
Jul 8, 2017 at 8:21 PM Post #3,560 of 6,742
Everyone has had different exposure to loud noise, different anatomy, genetics, health, etc., so the average of 14kHz at 49 may not apply to you. Personally, I wouldn't worry much about 12kHz as there is very little musical information there and above. Check out the chart below:

main_chart.jpg

Jason is right, the ear has hair like cells that are different sizes and each one hears a different frequency. Once they are gone/damaged then that's it, they are gone forever. By the way, I've read that if you can't hear a frequency in a sweep then don't turn up the volume as you may create more damage.

Thanks, this is great information! I was out of town on business a few years ago and caught a nasty sinus infection, and the pressure on the flight home was so great it ruptured both my eardrums. I was nearly deaf for 4 days and it took a full month before my hearing returned to 'normal'. Since that event, I have a hell of time hearing someone talking to me in a crowded restaurant or when there is a lot of background noise. Everything just blends together in a big rumble and it's difficult to pick out their voice from all the other noise.

Jul 10, 2017 at 8:43 AM Post #3,561 of 6,742
Is the Chord Mojo still king for a dac/amp under 600€ ? Currently having an odac combo but feel like I'm not giving enough justice to my Elear. What would also be a good dac/amp combo for under 1000€ (asking this in case of something being way better than the mojo) ?

EDIT : I would like a dac/amp that doesn't narrow the soundstage.

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2017 at 3:56 PM Post #3,562 of 6,742
Is the Chord Mojo still king for a dac/amp under 600€ ? Currently having an odac combo but feel like I'm not giving enough justice to my Elear. What would also be a good dac/amp combo for under 1000€ (asking this in case of something being way better than the mojo) ?

I bought a Gustard A20H to use with my Elears and as a major upgrade to my Audio-GD Compass and Emotiva Little Ego DAC (part of the first run of Compass amps made to give you an idea how old it is). The A20H sounds vastly better but a good portion of that may be down to the DAC. The Compass and Little Ego have served me well with my HD650's and HD700's, but it was time for an upgrade to what will likely be my end game setup. I also found the balance connection to sound cleaner, more open, and just overall better than the single ended output.

I was seriously considering a Questyle CM600i but it was just a little too expensive for me, and the issues with audio over USB made me look elsewhere. I know the USB issue is fixable but I didn't want to take the chance and then have to deal with shipping and warranty service. The A20H seems to have everything the CM600i offered, but at a lower cost, updated DAC chipset, and a more useable remote.

Other people in the thread have mentioned the Audeze Deckard as being a great match for the Elears. I also considered it but a remote was a must have for my needs.

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2017 at 5:05 PM Post #3,563 of 6,742

I've done some research on this, as I'm in the market for a new amp myself. From what I've read different places, a Schiit Jotunheim + Modi Multibit should be a step above Mojo, and is what I'm probably going for. The Jot apparently has a better amp section than the Mojo, but the Jot dac is not great. The Mimby is a better dac than the Mojo's. Jot has a cleaner, more neutral sound than the Mojo. Downside is that the Schiit stack is a little more expensive, and not portable.

This is just what I've read from reviews and asking people on head-fi, so take it with a grain of salt. Personally I only have experience with the Jot, which I think sounded great with the Elear. Neutral, clean and powerful.

Jul 10, 2017 at 5:53 PM Post #3,564 of 6,742
I've done some research on this, as I'm in the market for a new amp myself. From what I've read different places, a Schiit Jotunheim + Modi Multibit should be a step above Mojo, and is what I'm probably going for. The Jot apparently has a better amp section than the Mojo, but the Jot dac is not great. The Mimby is a better dac than the Mojo's. Jot has a cleaner, more neutral sound than the Mojo. Downside is that the Schiit stack is a little more expensive, and not portable.

This is just what I've read from reviews and asking people on head-fi, so take it with a grain of salt. Personally I only have experience with the Jot, which I think sounded great with the Elear. Neutral, clean and powerful.

Not here to argue but I'm not one that would agree with the the amp section being better than the Mojo.

The Source AV TSAVJason Stay updated on The Source AV at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com./pages/The-Source-AV-Design-Group/153623164648713 http://www.twitter.com/TheSourceAV http://www.instagram.com/Thesourceavdesign http://thesourceav.com/ Products@TheSourceAV.com
Jul 10, 2017 at 7:52 PM Post #3,565 of 6,742
Not here to argue but I'm not one that would agree with the the amp section being better than the Mojo.
As I said, that's just my impression after reading reviews and comparisons. I haven't heard the Mojo personally, if you can make a comparison between the Mojo and Jot, and other amps in the price range, I would be happy to hear.

Jul 10, 2017 at 8:04 PM Post #3,566 of 6,742
As I said, that's just my impression after reading reviews and comparisons. I haven't heard the Mojo personally, if you can make a comparison between the Mojo and Jot, and other amps in the price range, I would be happy to hear.

You know I'd love to. I have limitations imposed by the rules of the site making it so I could only direct my impression or opinion to what I sell as a dealer. There is a DAC/amp coming by McIntosh that should be in the $800 range that is probably that much better than the Mojo but otherwise I don't carry the brands you'd want me to comment on in that price range.

@MTMECriag may have some of the products in your price range that he would be allowed to discuss with you

Last edited:
The Source AV TSAVJason Stay updated on The Source AV at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com./pages/The-Source-AV-Design-Group/153623164648713 http://www.twitter.com/TheSourceAV http://www.instagram.com/Thesourceavdesign http://thesourceav.com/ Products@TheSourceAV.com
Jul 10, 2017 at 10:07 PM Post #3,567 of 6,742
Does anyone know how to remove the Elear's ear pads? I did a search, but didn't have any luck.
TIA.

Edit: Also, any tips on how to clean the pads once taken off headphones?

Jul 10, 2017 at 11:55 PM Post #3,568 of 6,742
Does anyone know how to remove the Elear's ear pads? I did a search, but didn't have any luck.
TIA.

Edit: Also, any tips on how to clean the pads once taken off headphones?
just pull them off. The pads and plastic rings are held in place with 5 pegs that just pop off. Might take some force to pull off, I was a little scared to tear the pad the first time I did it.

Jul 11, 2017 at 1:24 AM Post #3,569 of 6,742

Break in DOES change the Elears. They improve a lot, specially all signs of stridency disappear.

Jul 11, 2017 at 9:49 AM Post #3,570 of 6,742
I bought a Gustard A20H to use with my Elears and as a major upgrade to my Audio-GD Compass and Emotiva Little Ego DAC (part of the first run of Compass amps made to give you an idea how old it is). The A20H sounds vastly better but a good portion of that may be down to the DAC. The Compass and Little Ego have served me well with my HD650's and HD700's, but it was time for an upgrade to what will likely be my end game setup. I also found the balance connection to sound cleaner, more open, and just overall better than the single ended output.

I was seriously considering a Questyle CM600i but it was just a little too expensive for me, and the issues with audio over USB made me look elsewhere. I know the USB issue is fixable but I didn't want to take the chance and then have to deal with shipping and warranty service. The A20H seems to have everything the CM600i offered, but at a lower cost, updated DAC chipset, and a more useable remote.

Other people in the thread have mentioned the Audeze Deckard as being a great match for the Elears. I also considered it but a remote was a must have for my needs.

Hi, thank you for the feedback. Gustard A20H is somehow hard to get in France, while the Audeze Deckard is super easy but also more expensive. Anyone have more feeback for the Audeze ? Schiit is also hard to get in Europe

Users who are viewing this thread

Back