Focal Elear - Impressions Thread
Jul 7, 2017 at 11:49 AM Post #3,541 of 6,742
I 'd some extensive a/b testing of the cables last night and there is a slight difference between the stock one vs the cheaper after market cable. Its a very small difference between the 2 as the stock cable has a better sounding high-end along with the bass sounding a touch more refined, For a cheap $25 cable it works fine for my needs plus I don't think to many people would even hear the difference unless they were testing them and trying to find a difference like I was.

Jul 7, 2017 at 1:25 PM Post #3,542 of 6,742
I 'd some extensive a/b testing of the cables last night and there is a slight difference between the stock one vs the cheaper after market cable. Its a very small difference between the 2 as the stock cable has a better sounding high-end along with the bass sounding a touch more refined, For a cheap $25 cable it works fine for my needs plus I don't think to many people would even hear the difference unless they were testing them and trying to find a difference like I was.

Pretty much my thoughts; if you're not doing an A/B and trying to hear a difference, you won't. Well, I don't.

Jul 7, 2017 at 5:29 PM Post #3,543 of 6,742
Ah, another Okie on Head-Fi, that's cool.

I went to Carl Albert and OU, but live in the Dallas area now. Most of my family is still in OKC area, so I'll always consider myself an Okie!

Jul 7, 2017 at 6:19 PM Post #3,544 of 6,742
Ah, another Okie on Head-Fi, that's cool.

I'm totally happy with the sound of the stock cable and at home it's length doesn't bother me too much. I think eventually I'm going to get one of the balanced cables from LQi because I'm going to get the Schiit Jot in the near future.

There are a few of us on here, though I went to the orange school. Haven't decided on graduate school, will probably try to go to OU or out of state. It seems the developer of the Nighthawks went to OSU, not sure if he's an Okie or just went to one of the schools. Actually originally from the Dallas/Ft. Worth area, though only till I was 5. Visiting family in Texas this summer.

I liked the stock cable instead myself, only the length for anything other than home use was kinda pointless. Though honestly I would rather use the DT 1990 for portable(less leakage, tighter clamp, and single-sided cable) and use the Elear more exclusively for home use due to the Elears super open nature and the long stock cable.

Last edited:
Jul 7, 2017 at 8:35 PM Post #3,545 of 6,742
There are a few of us on here, though I went to the orange school. Haven't decided on graduate school, will probably try to go to OU or out of state. It seems the developer of the Nighthawks went to OSU, not sure if he's an Okie or just went to one of the schools. Actually originally from the Dallas/Ft. Worth area, though only till I was 5. Visiting family in Texas this summer.

I liked the stock cable instead myself, only the length for anything other than home use was kinda pointless. Though honestly I would rather use the DT 1990 for portable(less leakage, tighter clamp, and single-sided cable) and use the Elear more exclusively for home use due to the Elears super open nature and the long stock cable.

Is this where you guys tune up the A coustic geetars and start sing'n I'm proud to an Oki? Hahahaha sorry I couldn't help myself ....it's like an unplanned reunion.

I actually wanted to chime in more as a provoker of thought.

Like one of the posts said they bought a $17 cable ...I say good. For a point of reference how much do thing Focal paid to have those cables made for your Elears? Even if you think that $17 cable on Amazon or eBay or whatever is a bitchen deal the person selling isn't making you a good price and don't believe for a minute it's better than the OE cable that Focal provides. Of course let me be very clear. If your looking to that $17 cable as a connection and that's it, you've got the right perspective. If you're looking to that $17 cable as an upgrade, it's a waste of your time and $17. These are absolutes. Of course a $17 cable might suit your use or lifestyle better but it will not outperform audio-wise the OE cable. I will say that there are lots of cables at $150 and up that are equal to or possible marginally better than the OE from the same point of audio performance. So other than style the Elear cable, the cable performs pretty damn good, way better than any OE cable on a sub $1k headphone I've sampled.(that's a lot by the way)
It's the style and length that appear to cause cable changes. A few get pissy about balanced/unbalanced inclusions and so forth but for what the Elear has in quality and performance it can be compared to over $1k Headphones and compete with quite a few.
So I just wanted to kinda give you an overview of your cable conversation from my perspective and also just for fun toss in my Hey Howdy! lol :beerchug:

The Source AV TSAVJason Stay updated on The Source AV at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com./pages/The-Source-AV-Design-Group/153623164648713 http://www.twitter.com/TheSourceAV http://www.instagram.com/Thesourceavdesign http://thesourceav.com/ Products@TheSourceAV.com
Jul 7, 2017 at 10:32 PM Post #3,546 of 6,742
Is this where you guys tune up the A coustic geetars and start sing'n I'm proud to an Oki? Hahahaha sorry I couldn't help myself ....it's like an unplanned reunion.

I actually wanted to chime in more as a provoker of thought.

Like one of the posts said they bought a $17 cable ...I say good. For a point of reference how much do thing Focal paid to have those cables made for your Elears? Even if you think that $17 cable on Amazon or eBay or whatever is a bitchen deal the person selling isn't making you a good price and don't believe for a minute it's better than the OE cable that Focal provides. Of course let me be very clear. If your looking to that $17 cable as a connection and that's it, you've got the right perspective. If you're looking to that $17 cable as an upgrade, it's a waste of your time and $17. These are absolutes. Of course a $17 cable might suit your use or lifestyle better but it will not outperform audio-wise the OE cable. I will say that there are lots of cables at $150 and up that are equal to or possible marginally better than the OE from the same point of audio performance. So other than style the Elear cable, the cable performs pretty damn good, way better than any OE cable on a sub $1k headphone I've sampled.(that's a lot by the way)
It's the style and length that appear to cause cable changes. A few get pissy about balanced/unbalanced inclusions and so forth but for what the Elear has in quality and performance it can be compared to over $1k Headphones and compete with quite a few.
So I just wanted to kinda give you an overview of your cable conversation from my perspective and also just for fun toss in my Hey Howdy! lol :beerchug:
I don't think the 17$ cable was ever meant for sonic improvement. But the stock cable is very thick and heavy, which is often impractical, and is uncomfortable imo, although the quality is great. The discussion about the cable's sonic performance was if the cheap cable was audibly worse quality than the stock.
Myself, I will probably buy a slightly more expensive, but more lightwheight cable, around 100$. I think Focal sells the stock Elear cable for just over 200$, so my new cable won't be for sonic improvement, just comfort and practicality.

Jul 7, 2017 at 10:51 PM Post #3,547 of 6,742
I don't think the 17$ cable was ever meant for sonic improvement. But the stock cable is very thick and heavy, which is often impractical, and is uncomfortable imo, although the quality is great. The discussion about the cable's sonic performance was if the cheap cable was audibly worse quality than the stock.
Myself, I will probably buy a slightly more expensive, but more lightwheight cable, around 100$. I think Focal sells the stock Elear cable for just over 200$, so my new cable won't be for sonic improvement, just comfort and practicality.

Exactly! There can be a down side depending on how well trained your listening is. You don't need super trained ears either to hear changes in cable choices.
You still need to be on top of how you make these alternative cable choices because those same inexpensive cables could seriously affect the Elear performance negatively not to mention your listening enjoyment. My point was I understand the "dislikes" of the OE cable but I also recognize the OE cable "doesn't suck" :slight_smile:

The Source AV TSAVJason Stay updated on The Source AV at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com./pages/The-Source-AV-Design-Group/153623164648713 http://www.twitter.com/TheSourceAV http://www.instagram.com/Thesourceavdesign http://thesourceav.com/ Products@TheSourceAV.com
Jul 8, 2017 at 1:56 AM Post #3,548 of 6,742
Exactly! There can be a down side depending on how well trained your listening is. You don't need super trained ears either to hear changes in cable choices.
You still need to be on top of how you make these alternative cable choices because those same inexpensive cables could seriously affect the Elear performance negatively not to mention your listening enjoyment. My point was I understand the "dislikes" of the OE cable but I also recognize the OE cable "doesn't suck" :slight_smile:

I have pretty bad ears compared to most on this site, but even I can hear a ‘slight’ decrease in SQ via the $17 cable. However, I’m using it as I type this because a) I’m not near my computer and need a way to plug into my Mojo (3.5mm connector), and b) I don’t want to drag a heavy 13 foot cable across the house to my current listening spot. I think the SQ on the stock cable is great, but don’t like the weight, length, or fact that it twists up all the time. I have no doubt that expensive aftermarket cables can make a big difference for some people, just not for me....or at least at the price they command. I’d rather spend $400 on a Mojo rather than a cable that provides a small improvement to my ears. That said, I’ve ordered a $150 balanced cable that I’m excited to hear with my Jot / Rega DAC. That’s pretty much my cost limit for a cable.

Jul 8, 2017 at 2:49 AM Post #3,549 of 6,742
I have pretty bad ears compared to most on this site, but even I can hear a ‘slight’ decrease in SQ via the $17 cable. However, I’m using it as I type this because a) I’m not near my computer and need a way to plug into my Mojo (3.5mm connector), and b) I don’t want to drag a heavy 13 foot cable across the house to my current listening spot. I think the SQ on the stock cable is great, but don’t like the weight, length, or fact that it twists up all the time. I have no doubt that expensive aftermarket cables can make a big difference for some people, just not for me....or at least at the price they command. I’d rather spend $400 on a Mojo rather than a cable that provides a small improvement to my ears. That said, I’ve ordered a $150 balanced cable that I’m excited to hear with my Jot / Rega DAC. That’s pretty much my cost limit for a cable.

Hahaha Roger that! I wasn't suggesting a thing other than do your best to use a cable that allows your Mojo/Elear to give you what you paid for. FYI, everybodies ears get better at listening with time ....unless you are pounding the hell out of your ears often. Your ears may not work well for long if you do that too much. That would not be a good thing.

There are pairings that really benefit using the balanced output. I think it's possible you'll get a little more sense of space in your Elear balanced. Look forward to your impression after you've had a chance to check it out.

Jul 8, 2017 at 4:19 AM Post #3,550 of 6,742
Problem,my Elears right side stoper working, i changed the cables but they are working...

All off a surdan unless my kids drop them without stelling me..

Any idea how this can happen or any idea other then sending it to France

Jul 8, 2017 at 6:37 AM Post #3,551 of 6,742
i read the post about cable but i still don´t understand if it´s better only copper, silver plated copper or silver.
and balanced or S.E.?

Jul 8, 2017 at 2:48 PM Post #3,552 of 6,742
i read the post about cable but i still don´t understand if it´s better only copper, silver plated copper or silver.
and balanced or S.E.?

Cable material really makes no difference as long as it's not ultra cheap wire. Technically SPC should be better as the silver would conduct the electricity better, but in practical use it makes little difference. Balanced (4 wire) is good so you can give each channel it's own ground and this also minimizes channel cross-talk. Balanced operation with an amp is entirely different and not necessarily worth it. The cable from Amazon that everyone is listing works quite well and it made from OFC copper. Anything beyond this price would yield no improvement.

Jul 8, 2017 at 5:13 PM Post #3,553 of 6,742
Hahaha Roger that! I wasn't suggesting a thing other than do your best to use a cable that allows your Mojo/Elear to give you what you paid for. FYI, everybodies ears get better at listening with time ....unless you are pounding the hell out of your ears often. Your ears may not work well for long if you do that too much. That would not be a good thing.

There are pairings that really benefit using the balanced output. I think it's possible you'll get a little more sense of space in your Elear balanced. Look forward to your impression after you've had a chance to check it out.

Any idea how accurate those hearing test on YouTube are? I’ve taken 6 or 7 of them from different sites, and my results are very consistent...I can’t hear anything above 12,000 Hz, no matter what volume I listen at. From what I’ve read, I should be hearing up to 14k at least (I’m 49). I assume since I don’t hear anything in the upper frequencies, that explains why I’ve never experienced ‘semblance’ or ‘harshness’ that so many others describe on these threads.

Jul 8, 2017 at 5:29 PM Post #3,554 of 6,742
Cable material really makes no difference as long as it's not ultra cheap wire. Technically SPC should be better as the silver would conduct the electricity better, but in practical use it makes little difference. Balanced (4 wire) is good so you can give each channel it's own ground and this also minimizes channel cross-talk. Balanced operation with an amp is entirely different and not necessarily worth it. The cable from Amazon that everyone is listing works quite well and it made from OFC copper. Anything beyond this price would yield no improvement.

dgbg.gif

Jul 8, 2017 at 5:30 PM Post #3,555 of 6,742
Any idea how accurate those hearing test on YouTube are? I’ve taken 6 or 7 of them from different sites, and my results are very consistent...I can’t hear anything above 12,000 Hz, no matter what volume I listen at. From what I’ve read, I should be hearing up to 14k at least (I’m 49). I assume since I don’t hear anything in the upper frequencies, that explains why I’ve never experienced ‘semblance’ or ‘harshness’ that so many others describe on these threads.

Try what I like to call the "SuperTweeterTest"

Put a test tone of (in your case) 14khz with a set of cans at what should be a reasonable listening level. The trick is be in a closed set of cans and stay there for at least 5 or so minutes. Yeah I know it sounds like torture but try it. If you get the sense that there is something missing when you take off the cans but didn't seem to notice it while under the cans it means your ear can still recognize the frequency being there. The ear is a little like a nerve in that it can repair itself if not too far gone. But the ear has little hair like folicals that if lost they don't come back and that is where your high frequency is recognized by your ear as I understand it. I'm schooled/trained in acoustics not audiology

Users who are viewing this thread

Back