Focal Elear - Impressions Thread
Jul 1, 2017 at 1:31 PM Post #3,481 of 6,742
I would really hope build quality ia good for you ha. I think it bests a lot of headphones out there in terms of durability, esthetics and quality of materials used. Comfort is as subjective as what I just described but I find them comfortable as well.

Yes the cable is absurdly long. Thankfully there doesn't seem to be any Elear related deaths do to the "nooseance".

Sorry that joke was really bad, couldn't help it
For the life of me I can't imagine people complaining about a "Too long cable" on a $1k HEADPHONE !!!!!!!! (Not an IEM, a headphone..... thank you)

Not everyone gives a "Rat's Patoot" about portable listening set-ups or sitting at their Computer while listening to music. How about a little sympathy for some of us "Old School" component music system listeners ? (Thankfully, Focal still cares about ALL of us !) (I don't know ,but many of the portable music listeners are being the "nooseseance" as far as their requests in being catered to by the equipment makers)

Last edited:
Jul 1, 2017 at 4:11 PM Post #3,482 of 6,742
For the life of me I can't imagine people complaining about a "Too long cable" on a $1k HEADPHONE !!!!!!!! (Not an IEM, a headphone..... thank you)

Not everyone gives a "Rat's Patoot" about portable listening set-ups or sitting at their Computer while listening to music. How about a little sympathy for some of us "Old School" component music system listeners ? (Thankfully, Focal still cares about ALL of us !) (I don't know ,but many of the portable music listeners are being the "nooseseance" as far as their requests in being catered to by the equipment makers)
Ha! I love this post... I can't for the life of me remember where I read this, but someone said (yes, "someone", I'm sorry I know this loosing a lot of validity) that Focal chose the long noose sized cord to cater to the European market, who like you, would benefit from having that kind of length. Now I know nothing about the average European audiophile household but I am under the impression that they do way more "console" listening then us Americans. Anyone want to agree or disagree with this? Or @FocalOfficial have any input on the matter? I love being educated on demographics. I find it fascinating and fun!

Jul 1, 2017 at 4:25 PM Post #3,483 of 6,742
might be selling my mint sony z1r (20 hrs pink noise burn in)
for these elear....i just don't listen to cans all that much...and i should
have listened to my inner voice that felt 2k was too much for cans
(for my situtation that is).

i might be able to scoop a pair of elears in excellent shape for us$800.

while i'm sure the sq isn't the same, for those of you who've heard both,
do the elears still punch above their price class?
using ifi micro idsd right now...will be upgrading to hugo2 or other eventually.
my music: rock, blues, jazz

Last edited:
Jul 1, 2017 at 4:34 PM Post #3,484 of 6,742
might be selling my mint sony z1r (20 hrs pink noise burn in)
for these elear....i just don't listen to cans all that much...and i should
have listened to my inner voice that felt 2k was too much for cans
(for my situtation that is).

i might be able to scoop a pair of elears in excellent shape for us$800.

while i'm sure the sq isn't the same, for those of you who've heard both,
do the elears still punch above their price class?
using ifi micro idsd right now...will be upgrading to hugo2 or other eventually.
my music: rock, blues, jazz
I think you will enjoy them... especially with the genres you just said. They will just be more energetic and burst of energy. So if your up for that type of sound then you should have fun.

Also the Elear is pretty easy to drive... what you have now should be enough to drive them until you get a full blown desktop amp/DAC to finish them off

Jul 1, 2017 at 5:15 PM Post #3,485 of 6,742
about the cable for me the problem isn´t related with lenght.it´s big and heavy. better for my speakers LOL

Jul 1, 2017 at 6:00 PM Post #3,486 of 6,742
As a general rule of thumb, if your amp has a balanced output you should be using it. Balanced topographies are different from single end, and almost all amps that have a balanced output are designed for balanced output, the SE jack is a convenience, I'd swap into the balanced output and run with it for a week, then switch back to the SE side and let us know what you think. Though it's VERY import that your volume matching when you compare the differences from the two output options you have
As a general rule of thumb, if your amp has a balanced output you should be using it. Balanced topographies are different from single end, and almost all amps that have a balanced output are designed for balanced output, the SE jack is a convenience, I'd swap into the balanced output and run with it for a week, then switch back to the SE side and let us know what you think. Though it's VERY import that your volume matching when you compare the differences from the two output options you have

Do you know of a good cheap balanced cable to go with the Elears? I'm in the cables don't make a difference camp (assuming the quality isn't terrible) so I'm not really interested in spending over $100 for cables. Thanks!

Jul 2, 2017 at 12:09 AM Post #3,488 of 6,742
Do you know of a good cheap balanced cable to go with the Elears? I'm in the cables don't make a difference camp (assuming the quality isn't terrible) so I'm not really interested in spending over $100 for cables. Thanks!

Honestly, head over to the DIY Cable thread, and find some one who's build you like. They might be willing to build a cable for you, for under $100. My Cable guy started like 4 years ago and at that time his prices were top notch! Other wise, you can check on the used thread

Jul 2, 2017 at 12:16 AM Post #3,489 of 6,742
Jul 2, 2017 at 12:29 AM Post #3,490 of 6,742
Jul 2, 2017 at 7:09 AM Post #3,491 of 6,742
Ha! I love this post... I can't for the life of me remember where I read this, but someone said (yes, "someone", I'm sorry I know this loosing a lot of validity) that Focal chose the long noose sized cord to cater to the European market, who like you, would benefit from having that kind of length. Now I know nothing about the average European audiophile household but I am under the impression that they do way more "console" listening then us Americans. Anyone want to agree or disagree with this? Or @FocalOfficial have any input on the matter? I love being educated on demographics. I find it fascinating and fun!
This might be true, although I've never thought about it before. I live in Norway, and I literally never see people using any high-end gear when outside. At best it is B&W P7 or Senn Momentum powered off iPhones.
Personally, I usually sit in the same spot when listening to music. Even when I owned the isine 20, most of my listening were done at my desk at home (which is why I ended up replacing them with Elear).

Jul 2, 2017 at 8:50 AM Post #3,492 of 6,742
This might be true, although I've never thought about it before. I live in Norway, and I literally never see people using any high-end gear when outside. At best it is B&W P7 or Senn Momentum powered off iPhones.
Personally, I usually sit in the same spot when listening to music. Even when I owned the isine 20, most of my listening were done at my desk at home (which is why I ended up replacing them with Elear).
I don't think it's outside, as much as hooked up inside to a big console. Sitting on the couch listening in the living room, versus sitting In the computer room, arm reach away

Jul 2, 2017 at 8:52 AM Post #3,493 of 6,742
I don't think it's outside, as much as hooked up inside to a big console. Sitting on the couch listening in the living room, versus sitting In the computer room, arm reach away
Maybe, never really thought about it haha. I sit arm reach away from my gear, but still think it is nice to have a long cable to be able to move around a little.

Jul 2, 2017 at 9:02 AM Post #3,494 of 6,742
Got my first, super-cheap custom cable from Venture Electronics yesterday. Looks and feels sturdy, and way lighter than the stock cable.
Only downside is that the cable is very stiff. I suspect that it's partly because of the sleeving material, which feels very stiff and hard to the touch. There's also a lot of microphonics when something is rubbing against the cable (again, I suspect the sleeving is the culprit).

Still, I'd recommend this cable to someone looking for a cheap replacement cable, just for the wheight alone. If you're considering buying one, I recommend you get a non-sleeved one, maybe it fixes the issues I have with mine. IMG_3413.JPG IMG_3414.JPG IMG_3415.JPG IMG_3416.JPG

Jul 2, 2017 at 9:38 AM Post #3,495 of 6,742
For elear which is best cable's option, silver or copper occ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back