Focal Elear - Impressions Thread
Jun 27, 2017 at 6:15 PM Post #3,466 of 6,742
Thanks for confirming the issue. I do remember having read from a number of people that this issue did happen and it was my impression that nobody was listening at 117db which is crazy loud, even I usually am around 90db. I think it is the intensity of the bass that likely is the culprit once combined with sufficient volume. I will just be careful with the volume when I listen to electronica.

Hi Sonic, If I read correctly, you will have some time with the Elear owned by a friend, so I understand your concern. I would ask if he/she has had any similar occurrence with their unit since it appears that this not typical for every unit. I would just be careful with bass rich tracks. And no, if you have one of the units that does this, it does not require 117dB peak, or even 90dB peak. At least not with the unit I had. My experience was with modest SPL peaks in the low 80s, but it only occurred on two tracks of some forty tracks I always use to evaluate headphones. Tracks were from one of Glen Velez's 'Rhythms' albums using frame drums. (Nothing outrageous or excessive on that playlist, I can only guess that it is driver variation.)

My experience was described here:
https://www.head-fi.org/f/threads/f...ents-head-fi-tv.811270/page-287#post-13235223

Good luck and enjoy :) Nice to have an opportunity to spend time with the Elear.

Jun 27, 2017 at 6:47 PM Post #3,467 of 6,742
Hi Sonic, If I read correctly, you will have some time with the Elear owned by a friend, so I understand your concern. I would ask if he/she has had any similar occurrence with their unit since it appears that this not typical for every unit. I would just be careful with bass rich tracks. And no, if you have one of the units that does this, it does not require 117dB peak, or even 90dB peak. At least not with the unit I had. My experience was with modest SPL peaks in the low 80s, but it only occurred on two tracks of some forty tracks I always use to evaluate headphones. Tracks were from one of Glen Velez's 'Rhythms' albums using frame drums. (Nothing outrageous or excessive on that playlist, I can only guess that it is driver variation.)

My experience was described here:
https://www.head-fi.org/f/threads/f...ents-head-fi-tv.811270/page-287#post-13235223

Good luck and enjoy :) Nice to have an opportunity to spend time with the Elear.
Thanks mate, yes I will indeed be careful, extra careful with somebody else's gear. I'm going to read your link now, thanks.

Jun 29, 2017 at 10:40 AM Post #3,468 of 6,742
Hi Guys,

I have the Jotunheim + Elear + balanced cable for five months. I am enjoying the sound form them. Of course, I even love the Utopia sound more. But I can not afford to own one. I just occasionally to audit it in my friend house.

This is sad that my Elear has a defective driver on the left side. It suddenly had no sound about 1.5 month ago. I did return it to the local dealer. I have been still waiting for the feedback from Focal. One of my friends has the same set of gears as I have. His Elear also have problem on right hand side of driver. He is somehow lucky to get the replacement after 1.5 month waiting. But, the brand new unit is out of order again after 10 hrs audition. The same right hand side has no sound. We are starting to suspect is this issue related to Jotunheim balance port or the Elear driver QC issue. I post here to see anyone have the similar experience. Thanks.

Jun 29, 2017 at 6:00 PM Post #3,469 of 6,742
I've went back to the Audio-Technica ATH-M50x as my main headphone, as I prefer its sound signature and find it much more fun than the Elear. I'll also say this to people considering the Elear: if you find the HD650 or HD595 too veiled (the two Sennheiser headphones I own - haven't heard the HD600), the same will be true for the Elear. To me, those headphones lack a true-to-life clarity to their sound. That's the thing I dislike the most in a headphone, next to an absence of bass. I guess I prefer a v-shaped response.

Jun 29, 2017 at 6:03 PM Post #3,470 of 6,742
Something's not right there, bud.

The Elear is the M50x on steroids. It trumps it in all aspects of bass; speed, extensions, impact, texture. I own both, too, and can in no way begin to relate to what you've just said.

Jun 29, 2017 at 6:27 PM Post #3,471 of 6,742
I've went back to the Audio-Technica ATH-M50x as my main headphone, as I prefer its sound signature and find it much more fun than the Elear. I'll also say this to people considering the Elear: if you find the HD650 or HD595 too veiled (the two Sennheiser headphones I own - haven't heard the HD600), the same will be true for the Elear. To me, those headphones lack a true-to-life clarity to their sound. That's the thing I dislike the most in a headphone, next to an absence of bass. I guess I prefer a v-shaped response.
Uhm, no offense but this almost seems like a troll... First time I've seen someone call the Elear veiled lol. They are a little laid-back however, because of the 3-5k dip. Try using eq to boost the 4k region by 3-6dB, that might lift the "veil" that you're experiencing. Cuz other than that dip, treble is quite present on the Elear.

Jun 29, 2017 at 11:30 PM Post #3,472 of 6,742
Got a pair of Elears and still testing and condensing my thoughts. The soundstage is definitely a lot closer together compared to my DT880. Everything is much more in your face. Terrible for gaming though because the positioning is not as good. Love the bass increase and the smoother highs though.

I've give it a few more days before I decide if it is worth keeping.

What is the benefit of using a balanced cable into the Jot? It has no problem driving the Elears from the single ended output.

Jun 30, 2017 at 12:02 AM Post #3,473 of 6,742
What is the benefit of using a balanced cable into the Jot? It has no problem driving the Elears from the single ended output.

Any difference you hear will be dependent on the implementation in the amp topology, not at the headphone. The headphone just reveals what's going on with the amp topology, and the better the headphone the easier it is to hear differences.

Jun 30, 2017 at 7:18 AM Post #3,474 of 6,742
Folks,
Need to know if the Elear would be a true step up from my Fidelio X2 (mainly in terms of resolution, timbre, and especially treble realism). The treble on the X2 (which in my opinion is slightly artificial, lacking realism) is why I'm looking for an upgrade in the first place. Everything else on the X2 is perfect for my tastes. I would be listening mainly through the Mojo, connected to my FiiO X3 1st gen via coaxial.

Thanks in advance, cheers.

Jun 30, 2017 at 8:06 AM Post #3,475 of 6,742
I can't comment on how it compares to the the X2, but it made my Shure SRH1540s sound flat and closed in when A/Bing, to such an extent that even my audiophile-noob girlfriend immediately noticed the difference. It was actually her that made that comparison!

Jun 30, 2017 at 8:14 AM Post #3,476 of 6,742
I can't comment on how it compares to the the X2, but it made my Shure SRH1540s sound flat and closed in when A/Bing, to such an extent that even my audiophile-noob girlfriend immediately noticed the difference. It was actually her that made that comparison!

Thanks for that comparison. The 1540 aren't any mugs themselves, but to topple them, and seemingly by a good margin, sounds like a step in the right direction for sure.

Thanks again, cheers.

Jun 30, 2017 at 12:25 PM Post #3,477 of 6,742
Folks,
Need to know if the Elear would be a true step up from my Fidelio X2 (mainly in terms of resolution, timbre, and especially treble realism). The treble on the X2 (which in my opinion is slightly artificial, lacking realism) is why I'm looking for an upgrade in the first place. Everything else on the X2 is perfect for my tastes. I would be listening mainly through the Mojo, connected to my FiiO X3 1st gen via coaxial.

Thanks in advance, cheers.
Haven't heard the X2 sadly, but I used to own HD650's which should be roughly the same quality.
I'm very confident that the Elear will best your X2 by quite a margin, in practically every way.

Jun 30, 2017 at 1:51 PM Post #3,478 of 6,742
received mine yesterday. first imressions isn´t bad.
well see...but quality of build, package, etc. is good for me
only the cable is an absurd thing

Jul 1, 2017 at 11:21 AM Post #3,479 of 6,742
received mine yesterday. first imressions isn´t bad.
well see...but quality of build, package, etc. is good for me
only the cable is an absurd thing
I would really hope build quality ia good for you ha. I think it bests a lot of headphones out there in terms of durability, esthetics and quality of materials used. Comfort is as subjective as what I just described but I find them comfortable as well.

Yes the cable is absurdly long. Thankfully there doesn't seem to be any Elear related deaths do to the "nooseance".

Sorry that joke was really bad, couldn't help it

Jul 1, 2017 at 1:12 PM Post #3,480 of 6,742
Got a pair of Elears and still testing and condensing my thoughts. The soundstage is definitely a lot closer together compared to my DT880. Everything is much more in your face. Terrible for gaming though because the positioning is not as good. Love the bass increase and the smoother highs though.

I've give it a few more days before I decide if it is worth keeping.

Any difference you hear will be dependent on the implementation in the amp topology, not at the headphone. The headphone just reveals what's going on with the amp topology, and the better the headphone the easier it is to hear differences.

As a general rule of thumb, if your amp has a balanced output you should be using it. Balanced topographies are different from single end, and almost all amps that have a balanced output are designed for balanced output, the SE jack is a convenience, I'd swap into the balanced output and run with it for a week, then switch back to the SE side and let us know what you think. Though it's VERY import that your volume matching when you compare the differences from the two output options you have

Users who are viewing this thread

Back