Focal Elear - Impressions Thread
May 30, 2017 at 12:59 PM Post #3,336 of 6,742
Which termination is used for the headphone end? I'd like to get a 1M cable from Wireworld for my Elear. Can we use the HiFiman connection?

Old Hifiman or new? The OEM [Original Equipment Manufacturer] uses 3.5 TR [Tip and 1 Ring] jacks, on for each channel of course, I actually pair'd the detachable cable from a Meze 99 Neo with the loaner Elear that I had when I plugged into my Pico Power and it worked nicely

Sound wise, I've had these on loaner for a little over a week. I'm currently waiting to hear who get's them next, but for now I can say I like their combined smoothness with an excellent black background and overall detail, I recently took these with me to CanFest 6 in NC and EVERY ONE loved them! I couldn't keep them at my table at all! So Focal clearly has a winner here

I'm not as big of a fan, as I find it to be too smooth, unlike my HE 4 and the Utopia [which I got to here] the Elear is too smooth, and switching to a Solid State doesn't give it the same tactility/presence as my HE 4 and the Utopia have, so I prefer it with my Ember II running a 6sn7W JAN-CHS, I get a stunning mid-range with a lot of detail.

An the mids, are what set the Focal Apart I think, I recently heard the Grados RS2E and the Elear leaves me with a similar experience, while not as intimate as the Grado, they both share a beautiful detailed mid range. With the Elear offering big improvements on the sound stage, though the Grado has a bit more PRESENCE, still I'm finishing up my review and official comparison to my HE 4 today, and I'm hoping Todd get's back to me soon with whose getting these next!

focalCloseUpGrill_edited.jpeg

Jun 4, 2017 at 1:03 PM Post #3,338 of 6,742
You don't want to deal with your local distributor? I know them very well, we're good friends. They are one of the best in Asia. Send me a PM and let me know if you want local fast care or if you still want a contact to speak with a Focal France.

thumbs up Jason!! one hell of a nice thing to do considering you had no part in the sale. The Source is #1 in my book.

Jun 4, 2017 at 9:06 PM Post #3,339 of 6,742
I received my Elear's on Thursday from ZenErik and am loving them with my Taurus MkII and Vega stack.

I am currently using the stock cable. I am thinking about getting the Moon Audio Silver Dragon V3. Anyone have any experience with it?

Thanks in advance,
Brian

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2017 at 9:41 PM Post #3,340 of 6,742
I received my Elear's on Thursday from ZenErik and am loving them with my Taurus MkII and Vega stack.

I am currently using the stock cable. I am thinking about getting the Moon Audio Silver Dragon V3. Anyone have any experience with it?

Thanks in advance,
Brian
I like the richness of the Black Dragon.

Jun 5, 2017 at 10:12 PM Post #3,342 of 6,742

Thanks in advance,
Brian

Many use the Moon Silver Dragon and it's certainly ok but imo for the same price, or even less, there are newer cables that exceed it. (The dragons were one of the earlier after market cables.) I have had several Silver Dragons and most recently had, at the same time, other cables so I was able to do a direct comparison. IMO, the WyWires Red $299) was faster, cleaner had more detail and faster tighter bass. The SD gave the impression of more bass but only because the bass was "tubbier." And the WyWires Platinum (much more money) far exceeded the Red in every way. I also had Moon Blue Dragon and Black Dragon in the past and to me they were much worse that Silver Dragon.

I see that several Elear owners have used the WireWorld Nano. I haven't tried it but have heard good things about it. There was also a highly favorable review of it about two years ago in one of the mags.

For the Elear right now I'm using the Nordost Blue Heaven ($400). I have no basis to compare it with other after-market cables but it runs circles around the stock cable, which sounds dull and veiled by comparison. I have several very expensive Nordost cables in my big system and Nordost always seemed lighting fast and clean.

If I were buying a cable now I'd probably get the WireWorld Nano.

Last edited:
Jun 5, 2017 at 10:58 PM Post #3,343 of 6,742
Many use the Moon Silver Dragon and it's certainly ok but imo for the same price, or even less, there are newer cables that exceed it. (The dragons were one of the earlier after market cables.) I have had several Silver Dragons and most recently had, at the same time, other cables so I was able to do a direct comparison. IMO, the WyWires Red $299) was faster, cleaner had more detail and faster tighter bass. The SD gave the impression of more bass but only because the bass was "tubbier." And the WyWires Platinum (much more money) far exceeded the Red in every way. I also had Moon Blue Dragon and Black Dragon in the past and to me they were much worse that Silver Dragon.

I see that several Elear owners have used the WireWorld Nano. I haven't tried it but have heard good things about it. There was also a highly favorable review of it about two years ago in one of the mags.

For the Elear right now I'm using the Nordost Blue Heaven ($400). I have no basis to compare it with other after-market cables but it runs circles around the stock cable, which sounds dull and veiled by comparison. I have several very expensive Nordost cables in my big system and Nordost always seemed lighting fast and clean.

If I were buying a cable now I'd probably get the WireWorld Nano.
+1 on that! The WireWorld Nano Eclipse is great on the Elear. Nordost Blueheaven is better than stock as well only can't be terminated to anything but SE to meet spec unfortunately. In Nordost the Heimdal is where you can get termination choices

The Source AV TSAVJason Stay updated on The Source AV at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com./pages/The-Source-AV-Design-Group/153623164648713 http://www.twitter.com/TheSourceAV http://www.instagram.com/Thesourceavdesign http://thesourceav.com/ Products@TheSourceAV.com
Jun 7, 2017 at 5:59 AM Post #3,344 of 6,742
They've been under the bed in their box for the last week ½, but today, as it's my birthday, my girlfriend finally let me release them from their ottoman tomb!

uZBUzR0.png

Only managed 30ish minutes of listening this morning before setting off for work, but damn, these are superb.

Jun 7, 2017 at 8:26 AM Post #3,345 of 6,742
Well, after more than 120 hours with the headphones I would like to report that I am really pleased with them, notably for rock and metal. For classical and instrumental music I still prefer the HD800S.

I would like to add, though, that bending the headband (especially the metal parts that hold the cups) so that the drivers are closer to your ears, really improves the sound of Elears.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back