Focal Elear - Impressions Thread
Jun 11, 2017 at 1:08 PM Post #3,361 of 6,742
Recently picked up a demo Lehmann Audio Rhinelander for fun and I have to say I am really digging these with the Elears. So much so that I may replace the Chord Mojos with these for home use and move the Mojo to a portable dedicated use.
Compared to the Mojo, really silky smooth and neutral presentation but still the transients,snap, and imaging that I look for. Maybe slightly darker (maybe?) but absolutely no complaints.
I think both the Mojo and Rhinelander are great for the price range on these...especially if you can get them at a discount :beyersmile:

Jun 11, 2017 at 1:17 PM Post #3,362 of 6,742
Recently picked up a demo Lehmann Audio Rhinelander for fun and I have to say I am really digging these with the Elears. So much so that I may replace the Chord Mojos with these for home use and move the Mojo to a portable dedicated use.
Compared to the Mojo, really silky smooth and neutral presentation but still the transients,snap, and imaging that I look for. Maybe slightly darker (maybe?) but absolutely no complaints.
I think both the Mojo and Rhinelander are great for the price range on these...especially if you can get them at a discount :beyersmile:

what? Are you comparing the Elear a headphone to your Chord Mojo a Dac/Amp? Umm have you tried listening to the Elear with the Mojo? If then are you enjoying the Elear more with your Rhinelander amp?

Jun 11, 2017 at 1:45 PM Post #3,363 of 6,742
what? Are you comparing the Elear a headphone to your Chord Mojo a Dac/Amp? Umm have you tried listening to the Elear with the Mojo? If then are you enjoying the Elear more with your Rhinelander amp?

Sorry, maybe I wasn't clear - but I enjoy the elear almost equally with both the Mojo and the Rhinelanders - not to say they are the same sound signature but I enjoyed different parts about them.
I do most of my home high end listening at night (out of a Linn Unidisc universal) and its likely that I want a more intimate, lush sound (think Cary SET sound) and the Rhinelander actually provides that to my ears with no egregious sonic complaints (for a amp <$1k anyways)
The Rhinelanders is definitely less forward in my humble estimation with maybe some more recessed midrange, but the PRAT aspect of the amp really shone through despite its neutrality (and price range)
I was fully expecting the Mojos to blow the Rhinelanders out of the water since the latter gets very little hype....but not the case to my ears. If I had to keep one,probably the Mojo due to its versatility, but the Rhinelander is definitely a gem at the price point IMHO...

Jun 12, 2017 at 12:21 PM Post #3,365 of 6,742
The big brother to the Rhinelander is the Linear, and Linear D (amp/DAC).I recall the Linear having great synergy with the HD800... I have used both with a range of headphones but I don't recall the synergy with the Elear and Rhinelander. Since the Elear is easy to drive I would figure the Rhinelander would be more then enough juice... My friend who went to the Munich High End show this year told me that he was surprised to see so much Lehmann audio Amps on the exhibitors tables. Surprised, since he didn't know much about them... Anyways we are an authorized dealer for Lehmann and are aware of their value!

Jun 14, 2017 at 5:21 PM Post #3,366 of 6,742
Yes, good question about what is a good case. Anyone?

I can confirm this case is a perfect fit. Guess my Elears are making the journey to work with me tomorrow
bigsmile.gif

I'll take some pictures of the case, well, the Elears in the case, tomorrow.

Jun 15, 2017 at 9:02 AM Post #3,367 of 6,742
Has anyone tried the Elear with a Feliks Elise or similar?

I have tried them with the Elise and the Euforia. I also own the Beyer T1.1s
I love the Elears for music and the T1s for movies. I find the T1s a tad more comfortable.
I sold my Ether Cs and have no regrets getting the Elears.
They are a phenominal pairing.

Jun 17, 2017 at 3:19 AM Post #3,371 of 6,742
Hi everyone! New Elear owner here.

I have some questions about burn-in on these. See, I demo'd the Elears for several hours at my local dealer before buying, being powered by a Schiit Jotunheim. It sounded pretty darn perfect to me. The problem is that when I got home, right out of the box, I missed some of that snappiness, sense of air and treble sparkle that I loved. This was coming off my Marantz PM5005 headphone out, which has been compared in quality to the Lehman Rhinelander. It's fore sure A LOT better than my Aune x1s.

Now my question is, will burn-in for X hours open up the treble more, or is it all down to the tonality of the amps? (In other words, do I have to spend money on a Jotunheim lol).
It doesn't sound like the Marantz have trouble powering the Elears, barely playing at 9-10 o'clock. Soundstage is just as full, bass hits just as hard as with the Jot, just missing that treble sparkle. This is playing Tidal HiFi through an Aune x1s dac, so source should not be the issue.

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2017 at 1:30 PM Post #3,372 of 6,742
Hi everyone! New Elear owner here.

I have some questions about burn-in on these. See, I demo'd the Elears for several hours at my local dealer before buying, being powered by a Schiit Jotunheim. It sounded pretty darn perfect to me. The problem is that when I got home, right out of the box, I missed some of that snappiness, sense of air and treble sparkle that I loved. This was coming off my Marantz PM5005 headphone out, which has been compared in quality to the Lehman Rhinelander. It's fore sure A LOT better than my Aune x1s.

Now my question is, will burn-in for X hours open up the treble more, or is it all down to the tonality of the amps? (In other words, do I have to spend money on a Jotunheim lol).
It doesn't sound like the Marantz have trouble powering the Elears, barely playing at 9-10 o'clock. Soundstage is just as full, bass hits just as hard as with the Jot, just missing that treble sparkle. This is playing Tidal HiFi through an Aune x1s dac, so source should not be the issue.

Yea it sounds like your chain is a little different, the Jot can be both a Dac and Amp, so your Aune X1 has a PCM2707 dac, which is a warmer darker sounding source. An the Texas Instrument PCM series are know for an organic darker top end, which isn't as sparkly as An eSabre Dac. I have a Hifiman HM601 which is a BurrBrown TI Dac and an HM 901, I also used to have the Hifiman HM801 which was also a PCM Dac chipset, and it had the same... "lack of sparkle" your hearing. When I upgraded from my hm801 to my hm901 I noticed an improvement in the top end clarity! The irony though is my HM 901 has a "Vintage" Filter that gives me the less sparkly top end, and I've started to prefer it more recently lol

Still the Jot if it has the dac option runs a AK4490 DAC, I can't say how they sound but based on your experiences it's a little more sparkly on the top. So to start use a simple EQ to boost the highs a little more to your liking, and then look at switching to another dac that has the sound that you like.

Jun 17, 2017 at 9:04 PM Post #3,373 of 6,742
Many use the Moon Silver Dragon and it's certainly ok but imo for the same price, or even less, there are newer cables that exceed it. (The dragons were one of the earlier after market cables.) I have had several Silver Dragons and most recently had, at the same time, other cables so I was able to do a direct comparison. IMO, the WyWires Red $299) was faster, cleaner had more detail and faster tighter bass. The SD gave the impression of more bass but only because the bass was "tubbier." And the WyWires Platinum (much more money) far exceeded the Red in every way. I also had Moon Blue Dragon and Black Dragon in the past and to me they were much worse that Silver Dragon.

I see that several Elear owners have used the WireWorld Nano. I haven't tried it but have heard good things about it. There was also a highly favorable review of it about two years ago in one of the mags.

For the Elear right now I'm using the Nordost Blue Heaven ($400). I have no basis to compare it with other after-market cables but it runs circles around the stock cable, which sounds dull and veiled by comparison. I have several very expensive Nordost cables in my big system and Nordost always seemed lighting fast and clean.

If I were buying a cable now I'd probably get the WireWorld Nano.

I have the Silver Dragon with my Elear. It is a great pairing. Resolution improved, and the hollowness that plagues the upper midrange is lessened. I find the Elear to be a more engaging headphone with the Silver Dragon. It went from being a headphone I was seriously considering for exile, to one that I can't get enough of. I used to have the hardest time setting the volume because of the issues in the upper midrange and treble. It was either not loud enough or fatiguing. My experience with the SD has quelled many of these fears.

Jun 17, 2017 at 9:35 PM Post #3,374 of 6,742
For those of you noting the WireWorld Nano as a good pairing, are you all referring to the same variation of the Nano? If so, which one? The all-copper Nano Eclipse, the silver-plated Nano-Silver Eclipse, or the all-silver Nano-Platinum Eclipse? Thanks!

Jun 17, 2017 at 9:45 PM Post #3,375 of 6,742
For those of you noting the WireWorld Nano as a good pairing, are you all referring to the same variation of the Nano? If so, which one? The all-copper Nano Eclipse, the silver-plated Nano-Silver Eclipse, or the all-silver Nano-Platinum Eclipse? Thanks!

If I gave you an opinion solely based on WireWorld sales requests it would be the Nano Eclipse copper. Sony Z1R owners go for the Platinum all Silver more often.

The Source AV TSAVJason Stay updated on The Source AV at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com./pages/The-Source-AV-Design-Group/153623164648713 http://www.twitter.com/TheSourceAV http://www.instagram.com/Thesourceavdesign http://thesourceav.com/ Products@TheSourceAV.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back