Focal Elear - Impressions Thread
Jun 7, 2017 at 12:12 PM Post #3,347 of 6,742
Well, after more than 120 hours with the headphones I would like to report that I am really pleased with them, notably for rock and metal. For classical and instrumental music I still prefer the HD800S.

I would like to add, though, that bending the headband (especially the metal parts that hold the cups) so that the drivers are closer to your ears, really improves the sound of Elears.
This is interesting... I have the Elears on my head now and I pushed the cups in with my hands (not to cover up the cup with my hand) and it is neat how it changes the sound... Not sure what to make of it though. Listening to Tool now and its fun to play with it ha.

Jun 8, 2017 at 6:23 PM Post #3,349 of 6,742
Just curious, how bad is the dip in the upper mids/lower treble on the Elear?

It takes away the presence in the upper mids, so guitars, some vocals sound too thick and lack tactility, It's not so much a flaw as maybe a preference. I prefer the very tactile manner my HE 4 presents the upper mids, over the more relaxed and smooth presentation on the Elear.

Your amp/dac combo will also lessen or emphasize the lack of presence, out of my HM 901&HeadAmp Pico Power it wasn't as obvious, I really enjoyed the Elear from this combo. Though, I mostly used my Project Ember II with a Sylvania 6sn7w Jan-Chs. That combo had less presence but had a sweeter tone to the mids that I enjoyed, why chase after something the Elear isn't going to have, I pair'd to emphasis it's strengths not to compensate for it's weakness

SO if you like an AGGRESSIVE SOUND, the Elear might bother you. BUT it's NOTHING like the upper mid dip on an LCD 2, it's quite natural just lacking some tactility

Jun 8, 2017 at 7:28 PM Post #3,350 of 6,742
Well, after more than 120 hours with the headphones I would like to report that I am really pleased with them, notably for rock and metal. For classical and instrumental music I still prefer the HD800S.

I would like to add, though, that bending the headband (especially the metal parts that hold the cups) so that the drivers are closer to your ears, really improves the sound of Elears.
What about the clamping force and comfort? Does it increase too much?

Jun 9, 2017 at 3:50 AM Post #3,351 of 6,742
What about the clamping force and comfort? Does it increase too much?

There is more clamping, but the pads become softer with time. It is just a personal matter, you can increase the clamping as much as you like. I bent the headband as much that my ears touched the drivers but it was uncomfortable, so I found a middle ground between the sound that I liked and comfort.

Also, I think that by doing that the mids are improved a bit.

Jun 9, 2017 at 5:47 AM Post #3,352 of 6,742
Ordered the 1.4m, 3,5mm terminated Beyer T1 cable for my Elears. 99% of my listening is while I'm at my desk, which is literally <60cm away from the source, and although the stock cable makes a nice truly nice scarf it becomes a bit of a handful when there's 3 1/2 meters of slack to manage.

Has anyone found a decent case for these?

Jun 9, 2017 at 3:40 PM Post #3,353 of 6,742
Open-back endgame, right here.

PMPO0XS.png

Jun 9, 2017 at 10:38 PM Post #3,354 of 6,742
Ordered the 1.4m, 3,5mm terminated Beyer T1 cable for my Elears. 99% of my listening is while I'm at my desk, which is literally <60cm away from the source, and although the stock cable makes a nice truly nice scarf it becomes a bit of a handful when there's 3 1/2 meters of slack to manage.

Has anyone found a decent case for these?

Yes, good question about what is a good case. Anyone?

Jun 10, 2017 at 9:47 AM Post #3,357 of 6,742
Yes, sir, the clipping noise is normal. It is a design choice to avoid distortion at high volumes. The Utopias also have the same safety mechanism, although at higher levels.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back