Focal Elear - Impressions Thread
Dec 7, 2016 at 8:48 PM Post #1,381 of 6,742

I surely agree really enjoying mine..

And the piano is so good with those headphones.   I would have never imagined I would sell the D5000, but it looks like it is going that way.  The Elear really makes the music even more enjoyable.  So far, superb!   Those cans are gonna be fun headphones.  What's remarkable is that they already sound significantly better than the D5000 out of the box (with no burn-in).    

Dec 8, 2016 at 2:32 AM Post #1,382 of 6,742
This headphone seems to evoke such a wide range of impressions. I'm still having a hard time hearing the dark quality others have reported. My impressions come on the heals of having the Ether as my main headphone which most people consider bright. I'll also clarify that I'm running the Mojo as a dac into the Alo Continental V5 portable tube amp. Just listened to Rage's Know Your Enemy and was blown away the visceral impact of this track.

Dec 8, 2016 at 8:33 AM Post #1,383 of 6,742
Hey, I need someones help. So my original amp never showed up. But i tried pairing the Elear's with the Fiio A3 i know it's under powered. 
But when i come close to full volume the bass starts to sound really bad like a crackle. Are they supposed to be like that?. Or are they broken or something ? Because i never had headphones sound like that during intense bass and at a little above moderate volume. Or is it the amp clipping ? 

Dec 8, 2016 at 9:59 AM Post #1,384 of 6,742
  Hey, I need someones help. So my original amp never showed up. But i tried pairing the Elear's with the Fiio A3 i know it's under powered. 
But when i come close to full volume the bass starts to sound really bad like a crackle. Are they supposed to be like that?. Or are they broken or something ? Because i never had headphones sound like that during intense bass and at a little above moderate volume. Or is it the amp clipping ? 

Either you got a lemon or the Fiio A3 amp is inadequate for the Elear.  

I am driving the Elear with the Matrix M stage (HPA 2 version), and I am very pleased with the Elear thus far (I was even more impressed this morning after 7 hours of burn-in with pink noise).  Out of the box, they beat the D5000 and HE-500 very easily.   Thus far, I am very impressed by the way the vocals are reproduced.  They sound rich and live.  Those cans deliver superior SQ. 

Dec 8, 2016 at 10:42 AM Post #1,385 of 6,742

Could be the amp clipping, could be a hair stuck on the diaphragm.  Easy way to test is to blow into the driver and see if the problem persists.  If you can replay the song and replicate the problem at the exact same time every time after blowing, then it's the amp clipping.

Dec 8, 2016 at 11:17 AM Post #1,386 of 6,742

Could be the amp clipping, could be a hair stuck on the diaphragm.  Easy way to test is to blow into the driver and see if the problem persists.  If you can replay the song and replicate the problem at the exact same time every time after blowing, then it's the amp clipping.

Thanks dude. It's every time a song with substantial bass comes on and the volume is raised. The bass sounds ultra distorted. It's un-listenable. If this is the limit to the bass on these headphones i would be rather super disappointed. 

Dec 8, 2016 at 11:25 AM Post #1,387 of 6,742
With that said, unless that amp is ultra-****ty, there's not really a reason for it to be clipping with the Elear.  Do you have any Equalizers active with the amp?  Did you raise certain frequency bands above the 0db baseline without lowering the pre-amp?

Dec 8, 2016 at 11:28 AM Post #1,388 of 6,742
  With that said, unless that amp is ultra-****ty, there's not really a reason for it to be clipping with the Elear.  Do you have any Equalizers active with the amp?  Did you raise certain frequency bands above the 0db baseline without lowering the pre-amp?

No i checked everything. I have bass turned off on the amp and in my phones settings. The eq is set in the middle. For all frequencies. Its just when a song has bass and you go close to max volume every bass hit or kick drum is distorted. It sounds like crap. Otherwise everything sounded beautiful running it straight from my Sony Xperia phone or my Samsung Galaxy S6

Dec 8, 2016 at 11:30 AM Post #1,389 of 6,742

Either you got a lemon or the Fiio A3 amp is inadequate for the Elear.  

I am driving the Elear with the Matrix M stage (HPA 2 version), and I am very pleased with the Elear thus far (I was even more impressed this morning after 7 hours of burn-in with pink noise).  Out of the box, they beat the D5000 and HE-500 very easily.   Thus far, I am very impressed by the way the vocals are reproduced.  They sound rich and live.  Those cans deliver superior SQ. 

Everything sounds fine. Only at 80% volume plus it starts to distort in the bass sections of every single song i play. No matter the genre.

Dec 8, 2016 at 11:57 AM Post #1,390 of 6,742

Last night I got some 2.5mm to 3.5mm adapters so I could use an oppo balanced cable into my Sennheiser HDVA600 amp.  This arrangement sounded really good compared to the microzotl2 I had been using.  I think I may be coming around to loving this phone with that change in amplification.

Dec 8, 2016 at 1:16 PM Post #1,391 of 6,742
  Alright, some very (very) early short feedback

Comfort: A (they are slightly tighter than the Denon D5000), the weight does not bother me at all. Overall, the Elear are very comfortable. 

Built: A+ (basically it is top notch). 

Sound:  It is a Denon D5000 on mega steroids.  I think the Elear has also a V curve, correct?  At the moment, what strikes me the most (after less than 1 hour of burn in) is that the vocals are very much put forward (on the D5000 it is way more recessed), and are very clear.   Bass is excellent and tight, not as mushy as the D5000.  Basically, everything is well controlled, and that's very true that all instruments are well separated.  No hard trebles either! :wink:

Here is the music I listen to over and over again:  Jeff Beck "Scared for the Children" and "Shrine", in which there are some challenging guitar solos. 

And here is one from Katie Melua.  Voices (katie and the choir) are superb!

Thanks for sharing, I love her songs since years ago, and still amaze everytime see her singing.

Personally I like O Holy Night better, especally because this one is live recording. Her voice is soo beautiful, and Elear really produce rich sound of her. Feel so analog, textured, warm, and flowing like sweet honey.

First time I listened this song with Elear, I really did turning my head several times to check whether it's coming fro outside or fom my headphone.

Dec 8, 2016 at 1:47 PM Post #1,392 of 6,742
  Thanks for sharing, I love her songs since years ago, and still amaze everytime see her singing.

Personally I like O Holy Night better, especally because this one is live recording. Her voice is soo beautiful, and Elear really produce rich sound of her. Feel so analog, textured, warm, and flowing like sweet honey.

First time I listened this song with Elear, I really did turning my head several times to check whether it's coming fro outside or fom my headphone.

That's really cool that you know Katie's music.   To be honest, the whole album is gorgeous.  And what you right is spot on "Personally I like O Holy Night better, especally because this one is live recording. Her voice is soo beautiful, and Elear really produce rich sound of her. Feel so analog, textured, warm, and flowing like sweet honey."

My Elear are just new, and not quite burn-in yet.  I did some burn-in over night (about 7 hours), and Elear were even more responsive.  Vocals are indeed well reproduced with the Elear, much better than the D5000/HE-500.  

Dec 8, 2016 at 2:50 PM Post #1,393 of 6,742
I'm surprised pad rolling hasn't been mentioned yet in this thread.  To the people here who find the dip (more like a pit really) in the upper mids too much, try HM5 hybrid/pleather, alpha pads, or zmf pleather pads. Others may work too, but those ones have been tried. You may or may not need some front damping to mitigate treble peaks when you switch away from the stock pads.

Dec 8, 2016 at 7:39 PM Post #1,394 of 6,742
I got to say these hp's are getting better sounding by the day of all the hp's I've owned over the years the Elear's are by far the best sounding just awesome..enjoy

Dec 8, 2016 at 8:26 PM Post #1,395 of 6,742
  I got to say these hp's are getting better sounding by the day of all the hp's I've owned over the years the Elear's are by far the best sounding just awesome..enjoy

I must agree .   Definitely 1-2 steps above the Denon D5000 and HE-500.  

Which can did/do you own?  >>> edit: never mind, I just looked at your profile.   So better than the Audeze LCD3?  

Edit 2:  I am now listening to the song Every Stranger's Eyes from the album Pros and Cons of Hitch Hiking. The Elear are STUNNING...the vocals are precise and not driven away by all the other layers of music/instruments.  Everything seems to be so well balanced + adding the fun and the dynamic of the music.  Those headphones are a joy! 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back