Focal Elear - Impressions Thread
Dec 10, 2016 at 4:12 PM Post #1,411 of 6,742
Hmm, I've been using the MicroZOTL2 with these, haven't been blown away (not that they're bad, but not better than, say, my HE-560). Don't have a supply of other amps to try, though, will try my Liquid Carbon (don't have a balanced cable for it, so will have to try it single ended). Component matching can make a difference.

I was about ready to pack up my Elears to return them and then made a snap decision to pick up an ifi Pro ican amp on the way home from work the other night. Now I'm finally starting to understand what all the fuss is about. So running Cardas balanced Parsec interconnects into the pro ican and the oppo balanced cable to the elear seems to have hit upon a great synergy. From what I've experienced with these, either running them balanced is a must or the stock cable is really lousy. The microzotl is just not a good partner for these.

Dec 10, 2016 at 4:36 PM Post #1,412 of 6,742
Unfortunately, the only balanced cable I have if for my HE-1000, which doesn't fit in the Elear. I'll try it out with the LC single ended, though. My PeachTree GrandPre Preamp has headphone out, give that a try as well.

Hmm, I've been using the MicroZOTL2 with these, haven't been blown away (not that they're bad, but not better than, say, my HE-560). Don't have a supply of other amps to try, though, will try my Liquid Carbon (don't have a balanced cable for it, so will have to try it single ended). Component matching can make a difference.

I was about ready to pack up my Elears to return them and then made a snap decision to pick up an ifi Pro ican amp on the way home from work the other night. Now I'm finally starting to understand what all the fuss is about. So running Cardas balanced Parsec interconnects into the pro ican and the oppo balanced cable to the elear seems to have hit upon a great synergy. From what I've experienced with these, either running them balanced is a must or the stock cable is really lousy. The microzotl is just not a good partner for these.

Dec 10, 2016 at 5:17 PM Post #1,413 of 6,742
Been using the Elear for about 4 days now.  I was initially (and still am) blown away by the transparency.  However, sometimes it feel like there is something a bit lacking or missing.  I haven't been able to quite put my finger on it yet.  At this point I still am preferring the sound of my Audeze Sine.  Will continue to break these in and see how it develops.

Are you using with the iDSD? I found the presentation to seem a bit recessed in a similar way the Elear is already recessed. It may not be an ideal pairing. If you are willing to try parametric EQ, try something like +5db, 4.5khz, Q=16.

Dec 10, 2016 at 5:28 PM Post #1,414 of 6,742
Are you using with the iDSD? I found the presentation to seem a bit recessed in a similar way the Elear is already recessed. It may not be an ideal pairing. If you are willing to try parametric EQ, try something like +5db, 4.5khz, Q=16.

Yes, so far I've been using mainly the iDSD.  I am finding the pairing with my Dragonfly 1.2 to be a better match.  The Dragonfly definitely is more organic sounding, and even a little fuller in the bass.  I also tried the iDSD with my Audeze Sine, and also found the sound there to be a bit thin.  Will probably be continuing my listening for a bit with the Dragonfly 1.2.  I may end up returning the iDSD for a Dragonfly Red.

Dec 10, 2016 at 5:30 PM Post #1,415 of 6,742
Unfortunately, the only balanced cable I have if for my HE-1000, which doesn't fit in the Elear. I'll try it out with the LC single ended, though. My PeachTree GrandPre Preamp has headphone out, give that a try as well.

You can use the HE-1000 balanced cable. All you need are two 2.5mm female to 3.5mm male adapters.That's what I'm doing with the oppo cable.

Dec 10, 2016 at 5:51 PM Post #1,416 of 6,742

You can use the HE-1000 balanced cable. All you need are two 2.5mm female to 3.5mm male adapters.That's what I'm doing with the oppo cable.

Not home, but I'll give it a try later.

Dec 10, 2016 at 6:32 PM Post #1,418 of 6,742
But, do they have to be matching adaptors of 99.99999999999% pure silver? :)

Dec 10, 2016 at 6:56 PM Post #1,420 of 6,742
All that being said, the pro ican has also elevated the performance of my hd800s's beyond what my other amps were so I'd say I still prefer the 800s's to the elears.

Dec 11, 2016 at 9:18 PM Post #1,421 of 6,742
Just curious if any other owners of the Elear hp's have really checked them out for any distortions at higher volumes? just to make sure this is not issue with this hp which it could be. Please let us know if your experiencing any distortion issues..enjoy 

Dec 11, 2016 at 9:35 PM Post #1,422 of 6,742
  Just curious if any other owners of the Elear hp's have really checked them out for any distortions at higher volumes? just to make sure this is not issue with this hp which it could be. Please let us know if your experiencing any distortion issues..enjoy 

Hey abvolt, I just tried increasing the volume of mine beyond that of my own comfortable listening volume, and could still not hear distortions.  I only have about 30 hours on my set so far though.

Dec 11, 2016 at 9:46 PM Post #1,423 of 6,742

YES it have distortions at high volumes ,,
optimal sound quality is fixed at about 75-82 dB  after that  it loose control ...
treble is lowered by design to hide this distortion ,, 
its enough but wish it was better for the price ..

Dec 11, 2016 at 10:14 PM Post #1,424 of 6,742

Hey abvolt, I just tried increasing the volume of mine beyond that of my own comfortable listening volume, and could still not hear distortions.  I only have about 30 hours on my set so far though.

Awesome news hope this is not a systemic problem with this hp, mine started on the second day just out of the blue could not listen to them..

YES it have distortions at high volumes ,,
optimal sound quality is fixed at about 75-82 dB  after that  it loose control ...
treble is lowered by design to hide this distortion ,, 
its enough but wish it was better for the price ..

You really should send them back if you can, we should not be experiencing these issues with a 1k pair of hp's in my opinion..enjoy

Dec 11, 2016 at 10:23 PM Post #1,425 of 6,742

Awesome news hope this is not a systemic problem with this hp, mine started on the second day just out of the blue could not listen to them..

You really should send them back if you can, we should not be experiencing these issues with a 1k pair of hp's in my opinion..enjoy

Its asking price should never been more than 500-600 $ (for the sound )
but i think its double the price for build quality (and the logo : Fabriqué un Franc )
after EQ they are Ok , not the best but still good headphone ,,
I am testing them now to see if  i keep it or selling it ..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back