Focal Elear - Impressions Thread
Dec 12, 2016 at 1:48 PM Post #1,441 of 6,742

That sucks.   Fortunately (thus far), I have not experienced this behavior (yet).  We shall see as time goes.  Other than that, I thought those headphones were fantastic, and my amp/dac (Matric M Stage HPA-2) is only a modest one.  But I am really quite pleased with the clarity of the vocals.  A big step up over the HE-500 and D5000.

Even before connecting an amp to them, i thought the headphones sounded awesome!!! And then a bass song came on and rattle kick rattle rattle rattle. And with the amp it was way worse. I completely turned the volume down to get rid of it. It's a first of a kind experience. 

Dec 12, 2016 at 1:51 PM Post #1,442 of 6,742
  Even before connection an amp to them, i thought the headphones sounded awesome!!! And then a bass song came on and rattle kick rattle rattle rattle. And with the amp it was way worse. I completely turned the volume down to get rid of it. It's a first of a kind experience. 

That's strange.  Which song was this?   

I have listened to the last Leonard Cohen's album, which has plenty of nice bass, and the rendering was fast, punchy and tight.  No mushiness in the lows (much less than the Denon D5000). And I do love bass quite a bit...

Dec 12, 2016 at 1:55 PM Post #1,443 of 6,742

That's strange.  Which song was this?   

I have listened to the last Leonard Cohen's album, which has plenty of nice bass, and the rendering was fast, punchy and tight.  No mushiness in the lows (much less than the Denon D5000). And I do love bass quite a bit...

It wasn't a particular song. It was almost everything that contained heavier bass. Anything from hip-hop,rap,Trance,Drum&bass,Rock.. Whatever i threw at this headphone it sounded like that. I really got more upset than angry. Because i love the clarity to the vocals,sounds and everything. 

Dec 12, 2016 at 2:07 PM Post #1,444 of 6,742
  It wasn't a particular song. It was almost everything that contained heavier bass. Anything from hip-hop,rap,Trance,Drum&bass,Rock.. Whatever i threw at this headphone it sounded like that. I really got more upset than angry. Because i love the clarity to the vocals,sounds and everything. 

That's really too bad.  If I were you, I would send them back, and get a fresh new pair.  

Dec 12, 2016 at 2:25 PM Post #1,445 of 6,742

That's really too bad.  If I were you, I would send them back, and get a fresh new pair.  

I'm doing a review on these. This is how they arrived to me. If they we're mine i totally would. But i will send them to the next person, And we'll see if he's experiencing the same issue as me. 

Dec 12, 2016 at 2:31 PM Post #1,447 of 6,742
Just send it back to your dealer. You're still under warranty. 

Dec 12, 2016 at 4:16 PM Post #1,448 of 6,742
I've had the Elear since release.  Listen to a lot of EDM.  At high volumes.  Probably too high.  But I haven't experienced any distortion at all.  I use either a Asgard 2 or Jotunheim for the amp.  Plenty of power.  Wonder if these being loaners for a review if someone turned them way up with poor amplification and damaged them.  Although it does seem others are having this problem.  Fingers crossed it is just a bad batch.  Still not cool if it is widespread.  Especially after the initial quality problems. 

Dec 12, 2016 at 4:33 PM Post #1,449 of 6,742
  I've had the Elear since release.  Listen to a lot of EDM.  At high volumes.  Probably too high.  But I haven't experienced any distortion at all.  I use either a Asgard 2 or Jotunheim for the amp.  Plenty of power.  Wonder if these being loaners for a review if someone turned them way up with poor amplification and damaged them.  Although it does seem others are having this problem.  Fingers crossed it is just a bad batch.  Still not cool if it is widespread.  Especially after the initial quality problems. 

I just checked, and not issue even at intolerable volume (I typically do not listen to music at higher volumes than it should be).  The bass (although plenty) are tight and dynamic.  No issue thus far.  

Dec 12, 2016 at 4:41 PM Post #1,450 of 6,742

Hard to call a trend with only two guys reporting issues. Mine is still rocking on. I know I shouldn´t put that in printing it will develope issues tomorrow...

Dec 12, 2016 at 7:27 PM Post #1,451 of 6,742

I just checked, and not issue even at intolerable volume (I typically do not listen to music at higher volumes than it should be).  The bass (although plenty) are tight and dynamic.  No issue thus far.  

That's awesome hopefully it's not a big issue with these hp's really do enjoy them..

Dec 12, 2016 at 7:50 PM Post #1,452 of 6,742
I think its a matter of burning ,,
today i completed 50hr ,, distortion is almost gone ,, 
there is huge deference in sound stage , and treble is much brighter , bass is punchier
i feel now that it does not need any EQ ,,

ANY new comers like me ,, burn the hell out of it ,,
Thats all for the moment ,, stay tuned ..

Dec 12, 2016 at 8:05 PM Post #1,453 of 6,742
  I think its a matter of burning ,,
today i completed 50hr ,, distortion is almost gone ,, 
there is huge deference in sound stage , and treble is much brighter , bass is punchier
i feel now that it does not need any EQ ,,

ANY new comers like me ,, burn the hell out of it ,,
Thats all for the moment ,, stay tuned ..

So your saying that you had distortion from the beginning but it has lessened after some time, very cool wish I'd known this before I sent mine back..enjoy

Dec 12, 2016 at 8:11 PM Post #1,454 of 6,742

So your saying that you had distortion from the beginning but it has lessened after some time, very cool wish I'd known this before I sent mine back..enjoy

yes ,, but still there is some ,, specially with bass heavy music

Dec 12, 2016 at 8:18 PM Post #1,455 of 6,742
  yes ,, but still there is some ,, specially with bass heavy music

Have you tried listening at higher volumes to see if the distortion is more pronounced, mine got very bad..enjoy

Users who are viewing this thread

Back