Focal Elear - Impressions Thread
Nov 5, 2016 at 5:08 PM Post #1,201 of 6,742
Honestly, I think the THX00's are overpriced for the SQ.

Yes, they're pretty and comfortable, but for $400-450 there are better options and saving half that towards something like an Elear is one of them.

And if you have parting anxiety with your THX00's, grab a pair of Creative Aurvana Live's!

Similar type of sound, more comfortable, and damn are they cheap. Really incredible for the price.

They're a fun and clear headphone for listening to Hip Hop and electronic music. Good basshead cans. My biggest gripe has just been the pad shape. From what I've read about the Elear and my brief listen, they seem like they reach down low with good impact, though less exaggerated than the Fostex. And while having better balance to be used with other music. Now I just need to slog through this thread to look for reports of good amps with the Elear. I'll probably upgrade my amp/dac again come tax refund season.

I've been really happy with the Chord Mojo so far having downgraded from much more expensive gear. Considering a 2qute and dedicated amp again later on. Maybe another Torpedo III, or the Metrum Aurix has caught my eye recently also. My past experience with tube amps has me thinking I may just prefer amps with transformer coupled outputs. I suspect that may apply with solid state as well. Just need to see what has good potential (and value) with the Elear.

Nov 5, 2016 at 7:08 PM Post #1,202 of 6,742

Honestly, I think the THX00's are overpriced for the SQ.

Yes, they're pretty and comfortable, but for $400-450 there are better options and saving half that towards something like an Elear is one of them.

And if you have parting anxiety with your THX00's, grab a pair of Creative Aurvana Live's!

Similar type of sound, more comfortable, and damn are they cheap. Really incredible for the price.

They're a fun and clear headphone for listening to Hip Hop and electronic music. Good basshead cans. My biggest gripe has just been the pad shape. From what I've read about the Elear and my brief listen, they seem like they reach down low with good impact, though less exaggerated than the Fostex. And while having better balance to be used with other music. Now I just need to slog through this thread to look for reports of good amps with the Elear. I'll probably upgrade my amp/dac again come tax refund season.

I've been really happy with the Chord Mojo so far having downgraded from much more expensive gear. Considering a 2qute and dedicated amp again later on. Maybe another Torpedo III, or the Metrum Aurix has caught my eye recently also. My past experience with tube amps has me thinking I may just prefer amps with transformer coupled outputs. I suspect that may apply with solid state as well. Just need to see what has good potential (and value) with the Elear.

I believe it was my Elears you listened to last week at the Head-Fi meet.  Did you try them on the Jot I brought?  I have been very happy with that combination.  Also just got my balanced cables and the did improve sound stage and maybe instrument separation slightly. 

Nov 5, 2016 at 7:30 PM Post #1,203 of 6,742
I believe it was my Elears you listened to last week at the Head-Fi meet.  Did you try them on the Jot I brought?  I have been very happy with that combination.  Also just got my balanced cables and the did improve sound stage and maybe instrument separation slightly. 

Unfortunately I didn't notice the Jot at first, or I was too distracted with other stuff. I'm sure it's a great value though. I almost got one instead of the Mojo, but I was curious about all the Chord hype.

Nov 7, 2016 at 11:26 PM Post #1,205 of 6,742
Super interested in a comparison of the Elear and the Fostex TH900. I am debating between the two and hoping I don't have to buy both!

Cheers

My 2 second 2 cents- if you mainly listen to edm, electronic music ect then go for TH900. Listen to anything else go for the Elear.... for me I couldn't justify paying the extra money to buy a 900 over an Elear for like one genre of music

Nov 8, 2016 at 5:03 PM Post #1,208 of 6,742
  Super interested in a comparison of the Elear and the Fostex TH900. I am debating between the two and hoping I don't have to buy both!

Cheers

I LOVE my TH-900 ,, I ordered the Elear and wating for next shipment ,, when i have it will report back :)

Nov 8, 2016 at 5:33 PM Post #1,209 of 6,742
  I LOVE my TH-900 ,, I ordered the Elear and wating for next shipment ,, when i have it will report back :)

The Th900 might not be the best sounding, but man its full of Japanese Soul. I think its the most beautiful woodie. I know the Lawton ones look real good, but that red900 with that Japan magic . When you BIG IN JAPAN...

After the 900s, i'm done with this headphone world :D

Nov 8, 2016 at 9:47 PM Post #1,210 of 6,742
I'd like to know if anyone use the Elear with the Schiit Vali 2, Asgard 2 or Lyr 2? Those are some amps I'm interested in but suggestions are welcome for amps at around $500 or less.

If you haven't already decided on an amp, I'll have Asgard 2/Elear impressions and comparisons with the HD800S in the next couple weeks, as I'm next on the loaner program.

Nov 8, 2016 at 9:57 PM Post #1,211 of 6,742
I never thought I'd contemplate selling my Nighthawks because I really like them as much or more than any headphone I've had but since getting the Elear I don't see a need to keep them anymore.  This headphone is just a power house of fun with such a dynamic sound and mids that I love.  I don't even care that the soundstage is quite narrow because the depth is outstanding along with the imaging.  I really think I've found my endgame headphone, now I just need my endgame amp/dac and I'll be set.

About the amp/dac I'm thinking of getting the Jotunheim or getting the Vali 2 along with the Modi 2 Uber which would be about $200 less than the Jotunheim with dac.  I know of some using the Jotunheim but anyone using the Vali 2, Modi 2 Uber or both please let me know how they pair with the Elear.

Nov 9, 2016 at 9:16 PM Post #1,212 of 6,742
  I never thought I'd contemplate selling my Nighthawks because I really like them as much or more than any headphone I've had but since getting the Elear I don't see a need to keep them anymore.  This headphone is just a power house of fun with such a dynamic sound and mids that I love.  I don't even care that the soundstage is quite narrow because the depth is outstanding along with the imaging.  I really think I've found my endgame headphone, now I just need my endgame amp/dac and I'll be set.

About the amp/dac I'm thinking of getting the Jotunheim or getting the Vali 2 along with the Modi 2 Uber which would be about $200 less than the Jotunheim with dac.  I know of some using the Jotunheim but anyone using the Vali 2, Modi 2 Uber or both please let me know how they pair with the Elear.

I have owned the Nighthawk and am possibly considering the Elears but have been reluctant as many have commented that there is a suck out in the mid range/lower treble. Have you noticed this and how to they compare to the Hawks in terms of being immersive? 

Nov 9, 2016 at 10:06 PM Post #1,214 of 6,742

I have owned the Nighthawk and am possibly considering the Elears but have been reluctant as many have commented that there is a suck out in the mid range/lower treble. Have you noticed this and how to they compare to the Hawks in terms of being immersive? 

I compare the 2 here: 

Nov 9, 2016 at 10:27 PM Post #1,215 of 6,742

I'm not detecting any midrange or treble fallout or dip.  I don't  own the nighthawks, but I can truly say the elears are about as immersive a headphone as I have ever heard.  I also have to be honest and say that the elear does not have a huge soundstage, and in fact, it's soundstage is somewhat intimate. This is not detrimental to these cans in any way and in fact, it is part of it's unique sound profile. It's soundstage grows and expands to fit the music being played. If it is classical, it grows to a full orchestral arrangement with highly detailed imaging, if it is a rock band, it is dynamic and places you in an  ideal stage image with exacting voice and instrument placing and clarity.  I could go on and on. They are very difficult to describe its sound profile without you hearing them yourself.  Almost everyone says they are "dynamic".  I say the same, but what the hell does THAT mean.  If I was forced to elaborate, I would just probably state the these cans put you where the artist and the sound engineers intended and let you hear the music AS intended. There is no fallout, no harshness, no glare,  no bloat, no artificial intonation.  

The elears take the music its fed, it gobbles it up with glee and spits it out to your amazed ears in all the glory (or grime if badly recorded) that was originally intended. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back