Focal Elear - Impressions Thread
Nov 29, 2017 at 5:45 PM Post #4,786 of 6,742
Can you tell us where can we get that cable, please?

Ebay seller hifiacoustic. Listed as 4 core silver plated occ. Not sure about the OCC part, but the wires under a microscope are a foil, wrapped around some glass insulator. Easy to solder. The owner of the Elear wants me to build him a cable asap, so I ordered another 3 meters. Got the TRS connectors in today and cables should be here next week. He doesn't used balanced amps, so will be standard TRS.

Last edited:
Dec 1, 2017 at 3:38 AM Post #4,787 of 6,742
This is a bit apples to oranges but I got in on the really cheap Audeze Sine Black Friday special because I never heard Audeze properly before and this was the entry level route. I think I'm sold on the Focal sound more for now. Sine is pretty good but Elear still wins, even with the sucked out mids. I know Sine is closed back and on ear and cheaper. I just wanted a taste of Audeze because Audeze has a big fan base too and I wanted to hear some of what the draw is. And I missed the open back EL-8 deal which was probably a better comparison to Elear. :flushed:

Dec 1, 2017 at 3:43 AM Post #4,788 of 6,742
I found a FLAC version of the War Chant track. I played it as loud as I could. I heard no crackling or distortion.

Dec 1, 2017 at 4:32 AM Post #4,789 of 6,742
This is a bit apples to oranges but I got in on the really cheap Audeze Sine Black Friday special because I never heard Audeze properly before and this was the entry level route. I think I'm sold on the Focal sound more for now. Sine is pretty good but Elear still wins, even with the sucked out mids. I know Sine is closed back and on ear and cheaper. I just wanted a taste of Audeze because Audeze has a big fan base too and I wanted to hear some of what the draw is. And I missed the open back EL-8 deal which was probably a better comparison to Elear. :flushed:
nowhere near a fair comparison tbh, the sensible comparison would be the lcd-series. Can't write off Audeze before you'ce heard the lcd's.

Dec 1, 2017 at 4:35 AM Post #4,790 of 6,742
nowhere near a fair comparison tbh, the sensible comparison would be the lcd-series. Can't write off Audeze before you'ce heard the lcd's.

I know, just had to say how much bigger the sound is on the Elear. Still my top headphone so far. Sine does well with bass though, very well.

Elears are like speakers on my ears. Sine is still just a headphone. I will look into that new LCD-2, probably the only LCD I can afford right now, LOL.

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2017 at 8:36 PM Post #4,791 of 6,742
Newbie review here'

Bought my Elear used 2 months ago, very good deal at 600 euros.

I have to say, for years my headphone setup was HD600 + k701 + first generation Schiit stack: I tough it was my endgame and that I would not ever want to buy anything better. I preferred to spend my money on my 2 way speaker setup: Boy I was wrong.

I feel the Elear is a worthy upgrade.

To me it sounds a bit like the HD600 but better in every way possible.
The Dynamism is beyond me, detail retrieval is unlike anything I heard.

Amps:

1st gen Schiit stack: Well not a unpleasant experience at all, but with it I felt I was not getting the best from the Elear (so I ordered the NFB 11 two weeks later) : the combo lacked in detail.
But overall I did sounded good and let me appreciate the Elear value.

NFB 11.28: Wow. The detail, it really did impressed me.
The NFB 11 made me realize how much of a great pair of headphones the Elear was.
Compared to the Schiit stack I get much more detail, the dyanamism is improved and I felt it did open the soundstage by a tiny bit.

Things I don’t like.

Cable: not as much as a problem as people make it seems, I don’t think you need a aftermarket cable, what I did was cut it the lengh I wanted and added my own connector: cost 7 euros.

- 150 euros earpads : seriously screw that s***.
- 150 euros case : not as much of a ripoff as the earpads but I actually want it.
- Headband: how will you be supposed to change the foam in few years: answer you will strip all the leather headband and hotglue a HD650 headband and it will look like crap.

Wirting on the side: I am French, I like the fact that it is made in France. BUT “Fabriqué en France – Aluminium Magnésium” is too cheesy.
Seriously focal, just write “France” or “Made in France” already and call it a day.

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2017 at 2:34 AM Post #4,792 of 6,742
Hi guys, newbie here in need of your advice.

Im planning to upgrade from my FAD Sonorous VI (Pandora Hope VI) and Elear is one of the contender.

Someone is selling Elear for just around $550 at my place and the review seems great. Problem with me is, I'm a slight basshead.

Pandora Hope VI has an ethereal mids and sparkling hights (in fact it can be too bright for me). The bass is just nice; very nice natural decay, not too deep, not too punchy, and not the fastest but still lacking that 'ooommphh' factor im looking for. FAD being a closed-can helps a bit.

Long story short, FAD bass is very clean but it needs more juice.

So I was wondering, how's the bass on Elear? Is the bass impact good enough? Is it punchier than FAD?
If I could find a bass that is slightly 'boomier' & 'punchier' (idk if its a subbass or mid bass) than FAD then it's perfect!

Idk if I should stick to a closed can since im a slight basshead. I had ATH MSR7 before and I love the punchy bass albeit with a small soundstage.

Im pairing it with my ifi micro idsd BL so the Xbass button was really good.

Sony Z1R is my end game (I fell in love with the bass) but for a price of $2k it's out of the equation for now.

Dec 4, 2017 at 4:36 AM Post #4,793 of 6,742
Hi guys, newbie here in need of your advice.

Im planning to upgrade from my FAD Sonorous VI (Pandora Hope VI) and Elear is one of the contender.

Someone is selling Elear for just around $550 at my place and the review seems great. Problem with me is, I'm a slight basshead.

Pandora Hope VI has an ethereal mids and sparkling hights (in fact it can be too bright for me). The bass is just nice; very nice natural decay, not too deep, not too punchy, and not the fastest but still lacking that 'ooommphh' factor im looking for. FAD being a closed-can helps a bit.

Long story short, FAD bass is very clean but it needs more juice.

So I was wondering, how's the bass on Elear? Is the bass impact good enough? Is it punchier than FAD?
If I could find a bass that is slightly 'boomier' & 'punchier' (idk if its a subbass or mid bass) than FAD then it's perfect!

Idk if I should stick to a closed can since im a slight basshead. I had ATH MSR7 before and I love the punchy bass albeit with a small soundstage.

Im pairing it with my ifi micro idsd BL so the Xbass button was really good.

Sony Z1R is my end game (I fell in love with the bass) but for a price of $2k it's out of the equation for now.
well I have both and I can say base on your above statement that Elears may not be to your liking, the bass is there but not in the same league as the Z1Rs

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2017 at 6:06 AM Post #4,795 of 6,742
As long as you don't get one of the pairs that crackles, I think the Elear has one of the most powerful bassresponses you'll find in an open-back. Audeze LCD-2's bass goes a little deeper and feels a little cleaner and faster, but that's the only one I can think of.
Also, the Elear plays pretty well with eq and it is possible to get pretty insane amounts of subbass from it. And if you want punchy, the Elear's powerful dynamics should be tight up your alley.

But, open-backs in general won't have the same booming bass that closed-backs can create. If that's your #1 priority I'd probably stick with a closed-back.

Dec 4, 2017 at 7:51 AM Post #4,797 of 6,742
The Elears sound amazing except I'm really disappointed I can't EQ the bass up more than a little bit before the driver starts popping. I bought these phones because they were recommended for my taste in something warm with good bass and although the bass is really good, I want something that's going to get me close to that home theater experience of having a sub. Everything else is perfect. Damn shame.

Anyone know of a phone that's as good as the Elear but can handle cranking up the bass?

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2017 at 8:14 AM Post #4,798 of 6,742
The Elears sound amazing except I'm really disappointed I can't EQ the bass up more than a little bit before the driver starts popping. I bought these phones because they were recommended for my taste in something warm with good bass and although the bass is really good, I want something that's going to get me close to that home theater experience of having a sub. Everything else is perfect. Damn shame.

Anyone know of a phone that's as good as the Elear but can handle cranking up the bass?
if the Elear's bass isn't enough for you, it sounds like you have some slight basshead tendencies :p

Very few open-backs can match the Elear's bass, Audeze LCD-series is the only one I can think of from the top of my head.

Dec 4, 2017 at 8:15 AM Post #4,799 of 6,742

FOSTEX TH-900 MK2. And they best the Elears in pretty much everything.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back