Focal Elear - Impressions Thread
Feb 26, 2017 at 5:12 PM Post #2,836 of 6,742
I posted a question regarding whether this was possible and the response was no.

I'm not the DIY type and don't understand why this is not possible.

I do want to try balanced mode but need to know if it's as simple as swapping it for 4-pin XLR...

Has anyone done this?

I believe Jason from The Source AV does that for Elear and Utopia customers for a nominal fee.

Feb 26, 2017 at 7:56 PM Post #2,837 of 6,742
I posted a question regarding whether this was possible and the response was no.

I do want to try balanced mode but need to know if it's as simple as swapping it for 4-pin XLR...

Has anyone done this?

It is possible. My Grados have a bal XLR plug after my tech chopped off the TRS.
So does my HE560.

As long as s/he keeps track of the original wire config of the TRS plug, and solders correctly to the XLR plug, it's fine.
Anybody who tells you otherwise is FOS.

Feb 27, 2017 at 12:28 AM Post #2,840 of 6,742

I am still wondering to spend that money for Balanced cable for Elear

chop off the TRS plug and add on a 4-pin XLR plug by Neutrik.
Cheaper.

Has anyone done this?

As long as the cable has 4 leads with two hots and two grounds along with a shield it should be possible. Use a multimeter to find the left hot and ground and go from there.  The left hot or L+ would be on pin 1 of the connecter left ground or L- = pin 2 right hot or R+ would be pin 3 and right ground or R- would be pin 4. I did this on my Alpha dog cable and it worked great. Remember though that you cannot make any single entry ( one cable going to only one side of any headphone) cable into a balanced cable. It must be a four lead cable to work as a balanced cable.

Feb 28, 2017 at 7:02 AM Post #2,841 of 6,742
Hi,

so I'm looking for a headphone that allow me to fatigue-free listening for different genres of music. Basically everything, I guess with a preference for rap, rock and pop.

Currently I own the X2 but the treble just annoys me too much.

Now I'm wondering wether or not the Elear might be worth the investment for me.

The thing is, I basically found two completely different judgements in reviews about the Focal Elear:

"9-10kHz is my weakness. Peaks here tend to fatigue me more quickly than most others. Most headphones emphasize this area, but when the lower treble is dipped but mid treble suddenly spikes, I start having problems. The Hifiman HE500 has this problem, along with the Philips Fidelio X2 and a few others. But for whatever reason, the first time I used the Elear, I got a headache by the end of the first song. It wasn’t even an excessively bright song;"

--> So this would obviously mean that the Elear are nothing for me at all. Ironically there even is a comparison with the X2.

But then there is this:

"I spent a lot of time testing different tracks listening to how the treble tuning affected the presentation.  In many cases, it toned back harshness in a range that people can find unappealing.  For instance certain cymbal splashes can be harsh on brighter headphones, but never on the Elear.  In some cases, the hi-hat cymbal would fall in the laid-back range and push it way back in the mix, while the other cymbals were unaffected, being higher in the frequency range.  As a drummer, I found that distracting, but it only happened on a minority of songs.  More often than not, I’d just hear a nice reduction in sibilance and other fatiguing sounds.  On those tracks, the treble offers an appealing balance of smoothness and extension."

So, I don't know what to do with this.
Are the Focal Elear a good headphone if you are sensible to harsh treble and sibilants or not?

Feb 28, 2017 at 7:48 AM Post #2,842 of 6,742
Got my Elear up for sale here if anyone in the UK is interested. A little over 1 month old, pristine condition, I couldn't part with my HE-560 so I'm selling both and moved to the HE-1000.

Feb 28, 2017 at 8:08 AM Post #2,843 of 6,742
  Hi,

so I'm looking for a headphone that allow me to fatigue-free listening for different genres of music. Basically everything, I guess with a preference for rap, rock and pop.

Currently I own the X2 but the treble just annoys me too much.

Now I'm wondering wether or not the Elear might be worth the investment for me.

HD650. And a good amp.

Feb 28, 2017 at 8:17 AM Post #2,844 of 6,742
I've never listened to the HD650 (I plan to do so though) but do these have enough, say, power and bass to be considered a good match for rap music?
I know of course that they fit my description of having smooth treble but I wonder...

Also, does that mean that you don't consider the Elear to have smooth treble?

Oh, and last but not least, currently I use a Steinberg UR22 as an amp: Is this generally a decent option? And if not, what amps are recommended for the HD650?

Feb 28, 2017 at 8:30 AM Post #2,846 of 6,742
Well, it isn't really the majority, just a relevant part of it. That's why I said I'm looking for a headphone which is basically a good allrounder while having a smooth treble.
So, my question still stands wether or not the Focal Elear fits these criteria?

Feb 28, 2017 at 8:45 AM Post #2,847 of 6,742
It's definitely a good all-arounder.  You'd be hard-pressed to find any better balanced headphone from bass to treble even up to 4,000 dollars compared to the HD650.  It's also pretty comfortable to boot.

And if you're listening to music via computer or something digital, you can always EQ some more DBs into the sub-bass for when you do listen to rap/hip-hop.

Feb 28, 2017 at 8:47 AM Post #2,848 of 6,742
  Well, it isn't really the majority, just a relevant part of it. That's why I said I'm looking for a headphone which is basically a good allrounder while having a smooth treble.

The Elear sounds good with hip-hop/rap. It's got a very sparkly top end and decent low end clout, very quick and fast. The HD 650 is a more relaxed headphone, I find the Elear a better headphone than the 650, by far. But then again, we're comparing a 14 year old $350 headphone to a brand spanking new $1000 one.

The 650 is revered, but it's old now, there is much better out there. But as with anything in the hi-fi world, do the Elear justify their cost to performance ratio vs. the HD 650. That's a subjective question.

A few years ago when I started my foray into headphones with a £95 pair of AKG K550's I'd have told you there's no way in hell a pair of headphones were worth $1000, having just bought the HE-1000's, I can assure certain headphones really are worth their asking price. Even better if they're second hand, like my HE-1000's. 
wink.gif

Feb 28, 2017 at 9:00 AM Post #2,849 of 6,742
For longevity and enjoyment (not analytical listening) long-term, the 650 is tough to top. At $350 or less, it's a killer bargain. It's the one I reach for the most frequently, more than my HE560. Price and "new-ness" are not reliable gauges of musicality. Ignore specs. They're often not relevant since the upstream gear like amps and sources make a headphone experience more fine-tuned.

note: I have not heard the Elear, and don't plan to.

cheers

Feb 28, 2017 at 9:08 AM Post #2,850 of 6,742

I have both and I enjoy much more the Elears, however, they cost more so it is up to your budget.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back