Focal Elear - Impressions Thread
Feb 25, 2017 at 7:14 AM Post #2,806 of 6,742
Just had a demo and I liked the Elear better than the HD800S to my big surprise. What amp/dac do you recommend to the Elear? I have jotenheim and woo WA7tp in mind.

I like the Questlye 600i, 800R with it. I like that it brings out the highs mids and lows equally. I also really like the feel of the volume pot on it ha. Really good bang for the buck in general... Do you favor anything tonally more then others?

Feb 25, 2017 at 7:24 AM Post #2,807 of 6,742
  Now this is a great combo for the Elear's the Woo Audio WA22 with quad Salvania 6BL7's flat ribbed plates + Mullard ECC31's + the mighty 596 rectifier what a super sweet sounding pairing for the Elear's..enjoy

cool.gif

Nice looking amp.
beerchug.gif

Betcha the Polaris/Ember sounds just as smooth and musical. 

Feb 25, 2017 at 7:31 AM Post #2,808 of 6,742

I like the Questlye 600i, 800R with it. I like that it brings out the highs mids and lows equally. I also really like the feel of the volume pot on it ha. Really good bang for the buck in general... Do you favor anything tonally more then others?

Good to hear it, planning to get Questyle CMA600i for my Elear, do the soundstage improve on 600i? 

Feb 25, 2017 at 7:45 AM Post #2,809 of 6,742

Well, not that I am aware of. The "only" thing that I would like to have from an amp is better soundstage, if possible. Otherwise I like it fairly balanced. But I am new to this, so I am not sure yet. Maybe the midtonest bring.more to the vocals? Thanks is for the advice anyway

Feb 25, 2017 at 8:03 AM Post #2,811 of 6,742
Well, not that I am aware of. The "only" thing that I would like to have from an amp is better soundstage, if possible. Otherwise I like it fairly balanced. But I am new to this, so I am not sure yet. Maybe the midtonest bring.more to the vocals? Thanks is for the advice anyway

The 600i will get you fairly balanced sound for the Elear. The Elear is already tipped a little warm (which I like), the 600i will push everything forward equally. Aka if you like the sound of the Elear by its self then it keeps that same flavor.

Feb 25, 2017 at 8:09 AM Post #2,812 of 6,742
You people criticizing the Elear do realize for a $1000 it's pretty amazing right!?

True, but keep in mind that $1000 is a lot of money for a pair of headphones.

Just ask regular folks if they think that $1000 is a resonable price,to pay for a pair of HPs.

Feb 25, 2017 at 8:21 AM Post #2,813 of 6,742

Just ask regular folks if they think that $1000 is a resonable price,to pay for a pair of HPs.

Regular folks also listen to their smartphone on earbuds (which is obviously fine). I have had a bunch of people listen to my rig and some like it, love it, or don't care about sound other then "playing it in the background". So it's all relative to the person. From
a standpoint of what the headphone achieves Relative to summit fi that's where the value of them comes in. My opinion of course, and I won't speak for Rchandra in regards to what his opinion of that statement was.

Feb 25, 2017 at 8:25 AM Post #2,814 of 6,742
Regular folks also listen to their smartphone on earbuds (which is obviously fine). I have had a bunch of people listen to my rig and some like it, love it, or don't care about sound other then "playing it in the background". So it's all relative to the person. From
a standpoint of what the headphone achieves Relative to summit fi that's where the value of them comes in. My opinion of course, and I won't speak for Rchandra in regards to what his opinion of that statement was.

I forgot to ask you this but do you find yourself listening to the z1r more then the Elear or the other way around!?

Feb 25, 2017 at 8:37 AM Post #2,815 of 6,742

It's a crazy amount imho.

Much rather put it towards other stuff down the road. Amp, music, travel.

Feb 25, 2017 at 8:43 AM Post #2,816 of 6,742
I forgot to ask you this but do you find yourself listening to the z1r more then the Elear or the other way around!?

Honestly? I have been on the Z1R pretty hard as of late ha. BUT I was doing the A/B with the Elear and the Deckard and that got me back into them.... I think the Sony does a fantastic job of sounding open for a closed Can and since its closed its easier for me to pick up on details more without the distraction of open. Also I don't have to turn the Z1R up as loud because of which. The Elear is cool because it reminds of a really great live event. Like a concert with actual good sound for once ha. (Just went to Led Zeppelin 2 and the sound was less then stellar last night....) The Z1R is more atmospheric to me btw.

Anyone with an Elear listen to "Romantic Warrior" by Return to forever. So satisfying!

Feb 25, 2017 at 10:32 AM Post #2,817 of 6,742
The 600i will get you fairly balanced sound for the Elear. The Elear is already tipped a little warm (which I like), the 600i will push everything forward equally. Aka if you like the sound of the Elear by its self then it keeps that same flavor.

Yes I liked them as they "sounded". Only thing I wish to add if possible is soundstage. Gonna check them up. How is balanced vs none balanced?

Feb 25, 2017 at 11:46 AM Post #2,819 of 6,742
  dumb question here. do u need a balanced  source to listen thru the balanced output?

No. But to hear fully balanced performance, you should use a bal input.
Some amps, like the BHA-1 and RSA SR71B, will convert a SE input into a bal output signal at the headphone XLR output jack.

Feb 25, 2017 at 1:36 PM Post #2,820 of 6,742
  Now this is a great combo for the Elear's the Woo Audio WA22 with quad Salvania 6BL7's flat ribbed plates + Mullard ECC31's + the mighty 596 rectifier what a super sweet sounding pairing for the Elear's..enjoy

WOW.... You went all out on this one !! Would love to hear what it's like. I had the WA2 but it was not punchy enough and was too noisy for my taste. May I ask how much you spent on tubes for this setup?
If the WA22 had a preamp out, I would definitely consider it. While I'm pretty happyy with my Taurus MKII, I would like to switch to an tube or hybrid amp to get more smoothness. Unfortunately, there aren't many tube based headphone amp with a an XLR preamp (I'm using studio monitors for my regular rig, hence this particular need). 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back