Focal Elear - Impressions Thread
Feb 24, 2017 at 12:55 PM Post #2,793 of 6,742
I've owned and auditioned too many to list and have owned my Elears for about 4 months now. I think these things are fantastic! No issues or problems and they sound fantastic. What sold me is the clean crisp punchy sound. I don't have to play them at excessively high volume levels to get tight punchy bass. Great headphones!

Agreed. Have you tried it in balanced mode? The difference is ... striking! They get much more dynamic, with a strong and tight bass. 
What keeps surprising me with these Elear is how good they are in terms of stereo image. I had the HD800S before, IMO they are way better in terms of spacialization. 
Where they are not so good, and that's my only little critic, it's the voices. For some reason they don't sound as real or natural as for example, my old LCD2, 1st gen (LCD2F that I  got afterward wasn't as good). Though on some recordings, voices are excellent but it's more an exception than the norm. 

Feb 24, 2017 at 7:37 PM Post #2,794 of 6,742
Agreed. Have you tried it in balanced mode? The difference is ... striking! They get much more dynamic, with a strong and tight bass. 
What keeps surprising me with these Elear is how good they are in terms of stereo image. I had the HD800S before, IMO they are way better in terms of spacialization. 
Where they are not so good, and that's my only little critic, it's the voices. For some reason they don't sound as real or natural as for example, my old LCD2, 1st gen (LCD2F that I  got afterward wasn't as good). Though on some recordings, voices are excellent but it's more an exception than the norm. 

Agree. For vocals Elear cannot compete with Mid Centric headphones. Female vocals my preference is AKG K812 and for other vocals HD800 and He560. Hd800 is essentially mid centric headphone. I do not have LCD2 anymore but I can remember LCD2 was a great for vocals but I did not find the resolution good (clarity and details) -LCDs tonnally great for vocals. Elears are good in all other ways - definitely not a mid centric headphone

Feb 24, 2017 at 9:09 PM Post #2,795 of 6,742

Then do the 300. Will give more satisfaction being a source component.
Never skimp on the Source -- it all starts with the Source.

I agree, you can't make chicken soup out of chicken poop!

Feb 24, 2017 at 9:36 PM Post #2,796 of 6,742
Now this is a great combo for the Elear's the Woo Audio WA22 with quad Salvania 6BL7's flat ribbed plates + Mullard ECC31's + the mighty 596 rectifier what a super sweet sounding pairing for the Elear's..enjoy

Feb 25, 2017 at 1:51 AM Post #2,797 of 6,742
  Now this is a great combo for the Elear's the Woo Audio WA22 with quad Salvania 6BL7's flat ribbed plates + Mullard ECC31's + the mighty 596 rectifier what a super sweet sounding pairing for the Elear's..enjoy

Damn   Radio Free Europe.  NICEEE   !!!   throw the switch and hang on   hehehe bet that shed a few kilo's off the old wallet

Feb 25, 2017 at 1:57 AM Post #2,798 of 6,742

Agree. For vocals Elear cannot compete with Mid Centric headphones. Female vocals my preference is AKG K812 and for other vocals HD800 and He560. Hd800 is essentially mid centric headphone. I do not have LCD2 anymore but I can remember LCD2 was a great for vocals but I did not find the resolution good (clarity and details) -LCDs tonnally great for vocals. Elears are good in all other ways - definitely not a mid centric headphone

I am not a massive fan of EQ'ing but as others have said a slight (2-3db) raise around 4khz makes the world of difference to the Elear.

I use a parametric plug in on Foobar and have a subtle rise starting from around 2khz to 6khz peaking at 4khz and it gives them a nice sparkle.

Feb 25, 2017 at 3:18 AM Post #2,799 of 6,742
I am not a massive fan of EQ'ing but as others have said a slight (2-3db) raise around 4khz makes the world of difference to the Elear.

I use a parametric plug in on Foobar and have a subtle rise starting from around 2khz to 6khz peaking at 4khz and it gives them a nice sparkle.

Yes i have used eq still whatever eq it cannot match headphone designed for mids

Feb 25, 2017 at 4:19 AM Post #2,800 of 6,742
I am on my second Elear too, the first one I have to return it because the left driver is dead, my local dealer service is great they sent me the replacement in no time. Now my Elear is working great very happy with the sound, my genre music is not mid centric music, so I'm happy with this purchase.

Feb 25, 2017 at 6:19 AM Post #2,802 of 6,742
You people criticizing the Elear do realize for a $1000 it's pretty amazing right!?

When I first got it I did not like it but now I do. For me it was not a criticizing but disappointment to know that it is not the perfect one that it was hyped to be (specially Tyll @inner fidelity). If you are willing to look away some issues and EQ then there are other headphone out there for similar or cheaper price. Elear is very good but like most of other headphones not perfect so cannot say "OK now I can live with this and sell everything else"

Feb 25, 2017 at 6:19 AM Post #2,803 of 6,742

Can you tell us how the AKG K812 compares to the Elear and which is easier to drive?

If you had to sell one of them which would it be? 
wink.gif

Feb 25, 2017 at 6:34 AM Post #2,804 of 6,742

Can you tell us how the AKG K812 compares to the Elear and which is easier to drive?

If you had to sell one of them which would it be? 
wink.gif

K812 and Elear are both easier to drive and out of Mojo both do very well. I do not need to/miss my Violectric DAC (V850) and AMP V281 with Elear or K812 compared to HD800 or Hifiman HE560 or HE6. I think Elear could probably make use of powerful balanced mode of V281 but I did not bother to get a balanced cable yet. My experience is K812 is bit easier.
I would keep Elear if I had to sell one and do bit of EQ for Elear. AKG K812 specially good with female vocals and also acoustic music and has laid back presentation in my own view. (I know there are many people who hate K812 but I do like treble sparkles paired with Mojo (no harshness). I did not like K812 with Burson Conductor with Saber 9018 DAC built in (highs were too harsh)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back