Focal Elear - Impressions Thread
Dec 14, 2016 at 11:13 AM Post #1,486 of 6,742
Hello music friends!

I'm looking forward a new headphone. I only have a shure 846 connected to a fiio x5ii. I also have a schiit lyr2 with some Siemens Tubes, put i found it is no good with IEM.
My thoughts are between the sennheiser HD 800, the audeze lcd-2 and now I'm a little inclined to the Focal elear.... Wish i had the money to go to Utopia.... 
L3000.gif

Any recommendations?

your opinions are very well accepted

cheers from Brazil

Dec 14, 2016 at 11:20 AM Post #1,487 of 6,742
  Hello music friends!

I'm looking forward a new headphone. I only have a shure 846 connected to a fiio x5ii. I also have a schiit lyr2 with some Siemens Tubes, put i found it is no good with IEM.
My thoughts are between the sennheiser HD 800, the audeze lcd-2 and now I'm a little inclined to the Focal elear.... Wish i had the money to go to Utopia.... 
L3000.gif

Any recommendations?

cheers from Brazil

I had the LCD-2.2 for a couple years and also owned the HD800.  I currently have the HD800S and the Elear.  In my opinion the LCD-2 is the worst of this group. I prefer the HD800S quite a bit compared to the HD800.  The HD800S and Elear are about equal in absolute quality but very different sounding and would depend on your personal taste.  If I had to pick only one today, it would be the HD800S.  Things that bother me about the Elear are comfort, recessed midrange and a strange "honky" quality at times in the midrange, especially on classical strings which I listen to a lot.  The HD800S's bass is a lot less weighty than the Elear but just as extended and cleaner/tighter.  If heavy bass is important, you should probably go with the Elear.  If you listen to a lot of classical music, the HD800S is better.

Dec 14, 2016 at 11:26 AM Post #1,488 of 6,742

I had the LCD-2.2 for a couple years and also owned the HD800.  I currently have the HD800S and the Elear.  In my opinion the LCD-2 is the worst of this group. I prefer the HD800S quite a bit compared to the HD800.  The HD800S and Elear are about equal in absolute quality but very different sounding and would depend on your personal taste.  If I had to pick only one today, it would be the HD800S.  Things that bother me about the Elear are comfort, recessed midrange and a strange "honky" quality at times in the midrange, especially on classical strings which I listen to a lot.  The HD800S's bass is a lot less weighty than the Elear but just as extended and cleaner/tighter.  If heavy bass is important, you should probably go with the Elear.  If you listen to a lot of classical music, the HD800S is better.

WELL!!

THATS WHAT IM TALKING ABOUT

MANY THANKS

Dec 14, 2016 at 12:15 PM Post #1,489 of 6,742
  Hello music friends!

L3000.gif

Any recommendations?

cheers from Brazil

I have the HD650 and LCD3f - the HD800 IMHO requires a very powerful amp, otherwise I find the low end to be much too light weight. While it does some things well, I can't get used to its colder sound.

Like the others, I find the LCD2 the least interesting of the Audeze line up - the LCD-X is far more musical, and the LCD3 is the sweet spot.

I liked the Elear a lot during a recent listen...until I heard the Utopia, and then I found it really hard to go back to the Elear. I'd like to hear the Elear on my Woo WA5 - bet it would sound a lot better than the amp I heard it on.

BTW, on a great amp, with good cables, the HD650 is still fantastic. 

Dec 14, 2016 at 12:19 PM Post #1,490 of 6,742
  I have the HD650 and LCD3f - the HD800 IMHO requires a very powerful amp, otherwise I find the low end to be much too light weight. While it does some things well, I can't get used to its colder sound.

Like the others, I find the LCD2 the least interesting of the Audeze line up - the LCD-X is far more musical, and the LCD3 is the sweet spot.

I liked the Elear a lot during a recent listen...until I heard the Utopia, and then I found it really hard to go back to the Elear. I'd like to hear the Elear on my Woo WA5 - bet it would sound a lot better than the amp I heard it on.

Couldn't agree more about the HD650 which I also own. Still one of the best available.

Dec 14, 2016 at 12:39 PM Post #1,491 of 6,742

Many thanks.
Do you think that schiit lyr2 can make a good job with the HD 800?

Dec 14, 2016 at 1:08 PM Post #1,492 of 6,742
Guys, with which amp/dac you are driving the Focal Elear?  Any good suggestions for a 1k USD budget?
I'm enjoying them immensely on my oppo audiocom se with balanced black widow v2

Edit:  though the Elear are pretty easy to drive so I might not need to buy another dac/amp combo. Any feedback are more than welcome though!  :)

Dec 14, 2016 at 1:39 PM Post #1,493 of 6,742
  I am currently using the Oppo HA-1 to drive the Elear with balanced output.  I've tried with the HA-2, Asgard 2 and Ragnarok, but actually always came back to the HA-1 for some reason.  

However, now I'm trying to save space so I'm selling the HA-1 and replacing it with the Woo WA7 2nd Gen (with the same DAC as the HA-1).  I'm hoping the synergy will be good for a smaller, compact package!

Let me know if the combo Woo WA7 2nd Gen and the Elear works well.  I am also interested in the Woo products, though they might be a bit out of my budget.  Since the Elear is not too difficult to drive, I wonder if SS vs Tube amps makes a lot of difference.  

Dec 14, 2016 at 1:43 PM Post #1,494 of 6,742

Let me know if the combo Woo WA7 2nd Gen and the Elear works well.  I am also interested in the Woo products, though they might be a bit out of my budget.  Since the Elear is not too difficult to drive, I wonder if SS vs Tube amps makes a lot of difference.  

My ifi pro Ican can run fully SS and fully tube and I definitely prefer the solid state with the Elear.

Dec 14, 2016 at 1:46 PM Post #1,495 of 6,742
  Personally I always feel there's something magical bond between Focal (both Elear and Utopia) and Chord Products (Tried them with Mojo, Hugo TT, and Dave)

Even Utopia is singing beautifully and full of authority with Mojo. Elear is awesome with Mojo too, and in fact this is a very synergy set up in my book.

Ymmv of course, but I think giving a shot to Chord Mojo is worth to try,

Thanks for the tips.   Chord Mojo has been bookmarked :wink: 

I also wonder about the Matrix M stage HPA-3.   Highly praised on head-fi:

http://www.head-fi.org/products/matrix-m-stage-hpa-3b-class-a-full-balance-headphone-amp/reviews/13705
http://www.head-fi.org/t/770610/introducing-the-matrix-m-stage-hpa-3u-and-hpa-3b-review-to-follow

Dec 14, 2016 at 3:23 PM Post #1,497 of 6,742
Just got my elears today. Have to say they sound fantastic although they are by far the best headphones I have owned and listened to. I had a pair of oppo pm3s but sold them yesterday to make way for the Focals. They just don't compare at all, these are on a completely different level.

Now I just need to invest in a better dac/amp, although the Dragonfly Red is decent, I feel the headphones deserve better.

I might get a chord mojo as my next step up.

Dec 14, 2016 at 6:22 PM Post #1,498 of 6,742
Regarding the Elear stock cable....

I want to modify the cable end to a balanced 4-Pin XLR....is this possible?

Can someone help me with info on how this is done?
Any links on how to DIY would be really helpful....

Cheers :happy_face1:

Dec 14, 2016 at 6:44 PM Post #1,499 of 6,742
I'm no expert (couldn't MOD a paper bag), but my impression is that you can use a balanced cable with an adaptor ďso presumably you could change the termination), but you can't go the other way (single ended to balanced) that way.

Dec 14, 2016 at 7:34 PM Post #1,500 of 6,742

Did you send your Elear back?  Those headphones are so fun and clear.   I am now listening Enigma The Fall of a Rebel Angel, and they sound so dynamic on electronic music.  Super fun!!!  

Yes I did just waiting for my replacements their sound is simply great I also feel there a very fun hp to listen to I only had them 2 days and really miss them..enjoy

Users who are viewing this thread

Back