Focal Elear - Impressions Thread
Dec 14, 2016 at 8:31 PM Post #1,501 of 6,742
Waiting for my adaptors, so I can try these with my balanced HEK cables and my Liquid Carbon.

Dec 14, 2016 at 8:49 PM Post #1,502 of 6,742
bet that will be nice really great sounding hp's.and the liquid carbon is an awesome amp ..enjoy

Dec 14, 2016 at 9:56 PM Post #1,503 of 6,742
Would love a Liquid Carbon!

Dec 14, 2016 at 10:00 PM Post #1,504 of 6,742
Generally much prefer my MicroZOTL2 to the LC, but it has been stated here that the ZOTL and the Elear isn't a good match, so I want to see how the LC pairing is. LC is best balanced, (at lease v1), hence the adaptor for the cable from my HEK (Norne Zoetic) to see how the Elear does with a different amp.

Dec 15, 2016 at 1:10 AM Post #1,505 of 6,742
I'm no expert (couldn't MOD a paper bag), but my impression is that you can use a balanced cable with an adaptor ďso presumably you could change the termination), but you can't go the other way (single ended to balanced) that way.

Are you saying that since the stock Elear cable is unbalanced (TRS connector), swapping the TRS connector with a 4-pin XLR is not possible?

Dec 15, 2016 at 2:27 AM Post #1,506 of 6,742
Could anyone recommend a good dac/amp for the Elears for less than $900/£700?

Dec 15, 2016 at 4:05 AM Post #1,507 of 6,742
The Utopia doesn't sound bad on the Mojo so maybe try it that one out for the Elear?

Dec 15, 2016 at 4:09 AM Post #1,508 of 6,742
The Utopia doesn't sound bad on the Mojo so maybe try it that one out for the Elear?

Is the mojo A big step up from the DFR? I was considering the mojo or maybe the Audeze Deckard or Marantz HD-DAC1.

Can anyone give me advice on which would be best?

Thanks

Dec 15, 2016 at 4:15 AM Post #1,509 of 6,742
Is the mojo A big step up from the DFR? I was considering the mojo or maybe the Audeze Deckard or Marantz HD-DAC1.

Can anyone give me advice on which would be best?

Thanks

No idea. I never compared those head to head against the Mojo.

Dec 15, 2016 at 7:28 AM Post #1,510 of 6,742
I'm no expert (couldn't MOD a paper bag), but my impression is that you can use a balanced cable with an adaptor ďso presumably you could change the termination), but you can't go the other way (single ended to balanced) that way.

Are you saying that since the stock Elear cable is unbalanced (TRS connector), swapping the TRS connector with a 4-pin XLR is not possible?

From what i've read, it wouldn't make it a balanced headphone, and could damage your amp if it is balanced.

Dec 15, 2016 at 8:17 AM Post #1,511 of 6,742

Of course you can do that but it can't be done with an adapter. You would need to cut off the current plug, expose and strip the 4 wires inside the cable (+_ left and +_ right), then solder them to the proper posts of an xlr plug. Once you do that though the warranty would probably be void and you'd most likely have a hard time selling them down the road. I've done it before, it doesn't require great soldering skills, you just need the proper tools to strip the wires, etc. and good quality silver solder.

Dec 15, 2016 at 8:40 AM Post #1,512 of 6,742
Glad someone that knows something comes in :)

Dec 15, 2016 at 8:49 AM Post #1,513 of 6,742
How's the bass distortion problem going?

Also, does the upper mids/lower treble dip make female vocal terrible?

I planned to get an Elear for jpop(female vocal), rock but these two problems keep me from pulling the trigger.

Dec 15, 2016 at 9:09 AM Post #1,514 of 6,742
  How's the bass distortion problem going?

Also, does the upper mids/lower treble dip make female vocal terrible?

I planned to get an Elear for jpop(female vocal), rock but these two problems keep me from pulling the trigger.

Can you get to demo them somewhere? Your ears will tell you if they are terrible or not. I listen to female vocal all the time and I would not describe my listening experience as terrible. Quite the opposite actually! I listen to Adele, Emile Sande, Birdy, Diana Krall, Norah Jones, Sia, Sarah McLachlan, Sara Bareilles, Kristina train, Kate Bush to name but a few and they all sound fantastic to me with my Elears paired with either my QP1R single ended or Oppo HA-1 Audiocom Special edition balanced.
I have not experienced any distortion at any volume but I have read some have on this thread. I had a budget of up to around 2k put aside for my hp's and auditioned lots of flagship hp's all in the same day over several hours and came away with the Elears. (I did have a fantastic time) At £800 I honestly think they are a bargain when demoing them against hp's that were twice the price and more in some cases.

Dec 15, 2016 at 2:23 PM Post #1,515 of 6,742

Things that bother me about the Elear are comfort, recessed midrange and a strange "honky" quality at times in the midrange, especially on classical strings which I listen to a lot.

If I may know, which headphone you compare to Elear that make Elear like having reccesed midrange? Also what's set up to drive them?

This is an interesting statment for me to check :)

I listen to female vocal all the time and I would not describe my listening experience as terrible. Quite the opposite actually! I listen to Adele, Emile Sande, Birdy, Diana Krall, Norah Jones, Sia, Sarah McLachlan, Sara Bareilles, Kristina train, Kate Bush to name but a few and they all sound fantastic to me with my Elears

Really mirroring my impression, even some of your songs are songs that I always listen too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back