Focal Elear and Utopia Review / Preview With Measurements - Head-Fi TV
Mar 17, 2017 at 9:39 PM Post #4,861 of 5,632
That sounds correct :) . Must be very stiff eh :D. But more impressions - more choices for people
lavricable is spectacular and affordable....Konstantin must be working on a marginal profit in the region of probably a 25%. Thence negotiating a price with him is next to impossible in my experience anyway...and I have purchased over 5 cables from him including adapters...couldn't recommend his production more actually!!

Mar 18, 2017 at 1:50 AM Post #4,862 of 5,632
  I just recently purchased a Utopia and thought I’d provide a few brief thoughts on its sound.

To give it the best source material, I chose two CDs I’ve gotten recently. Both have exceptionally involving music and are examples of the current state-of-the-art in CD engineering, Mariza - Fado Em Mim and Allen Toussaint - The Bright Mississippi. 

I a/b’ed these with the Utopia and HD800 w/french  mod (which I felt was an upgrade from the LCD-3 I previously owned). My equipment is a Yggy+Rag sourced from iTunes+BitPerfect over USB. The HD800 has a Q Cables balanced cable and the Utopia has the stock cable (soon to be switched to the Q when the Utopia adapters arrive).

There isn’t much to say other than the Utopia has a level of punch, realism and musicality that I’ve never heard before from a recording. This is clear evidence that there is nothing ‘missing’ on well recorded redbook CDs when played on the right equipment. This music on the Utopia comes out of a layered blackness with all the energy and detail I’ve only ever heard before sitting in my local jazz club - Yoshi’s.

In comparison, the music produced by the HD800 was distanced, veiled and far less involving. Someone on this thread compared the difference to HDR - they were spot on.

My wallet definitely is in the dumps but my musical soul is riding high …

+1.  Got the utopia and driving with my AK380 copper with amp.   Only 24 hours and can't wait for it to burn-in further.   Just sublime and amazed portable audio has reach this level.   I was amazed 2 years ago driving AKG812 from AK240 and now this is at another level.   Enjoy!

Mar 18, 2017 at 3:11 AM Post #4,863 of 5,632
Okay. I've been spending some time today listening and switching between the Kimber Axios, Danacable Lazuli Reference FC and the stock cable. Compared to the Axios and Lazuli, the stock cable sounds rather "smeary", like there's a bit of temporal blurring/ringing around every sound that obscures everything around it slightly. Both the Lazuli and the Axios clear up that smearing, but other than that, they're very different.

The Danacable Lazuli Reference FC is probably the easiest to talk about, so I'll start there. Other than clearing up the smeary sound from the stock cable, it has a bit of a laid-back, mellow character that makes it very easy to immediately enjoy. It has a non-fatiguing, slightly sweet/euphonic sound that reminds me a bit of the HD650 or HEKv2, like you could put the headphones on, turn on some music, and work for hours without ear fatigue. It may give up just a little bit of absolute dynamics, but it's hard to tell.

The Kimber Axios is sort of complicated. I think in terms of absolute performance, it's quite amazing. The smeariness of the stock cables is completely gone. What's left feels incredibly exact in terms of describing the harmonics, attack, release, and decay of every sound in the recording. It's hard to describe without rambling. My first night with this cable, I stayed up late listening to stuff like The Black Keys, White Stripes, Margaret Glaspy, and The Kills because I couldn't get over how richly *complicated* guitar distortion sounded, like several distinct waveforms laid on top of each other, building on and interfering with each other. There's a My Brightest Diamond song called "Pressure" that starts with some marching-band style drums with some very fast drum rolls. Listening with this cable was the first time I felt like I could hear every single strike of a stick on the drum head, *as well as* the resulting rattle of the snares (and subsequent decay) as completely distinct sounds. The harmonic overtones of acoustic instruments and female vocals stay distinct and don't get lost in the fundamental tones. In multitrack vocals, it feels like I could pick out each individual take. The dynamics are at least as good as the stock cables, maybe slightly more snappy feeling due to the lack of smearing. For me, this cable really refines all the aspects of the Utopia that made me buy it in the first place. That being said, it's also incredibly unforgiving of everything in your chain. My regular desktop DAC is a PS Audio NuWave DSD, which I've been pretty happy with. It does, however, have a certain high-frequency "sizzle" and a certain percussive crispiness that I could hear hints of in previous incarnations of my headphone setup, but it's too obvious (and fatiguing) to ignore now, especially now that I've compared it to the DirectStream in my loudspeaker system.

I think you can probably tell that I prefer the Axios over the Danacable. I may keep both (and shop for a new desktop-sized DAC as well), as the Danacable is considerably more forgiving than the Axios and some of the more poorly recorded music I listen to might not sound great with such a revealing cable.

The final cable I plan on auditioning is the Lavricable, which hasn't arrived yet. I'm not sure on ETA for that one.

Mar 18, 2017 at 7:13 AM Post #4,864 of 5,632
@strangecargo

That lack of "smear" with the DanaCable line, especially in the highs, and the listen-ability with my music with recording dates of late 1940's to the present, sold my ears and I stopped searching for that (maybe) last 5%. And that was before I got my Utopias.

My first impressions with the Dana's was that the highs were attenuated, missing. Going back and forth between stock and a few other cables on all my HP's I came to my own conclusions that the highs weren't missing but that something akin to video "ghosting" had been removed improving clarity. A bit of added warmth and oomph in the low bass and mid-bass without loss of detail was also a welcome quality to my ears.

Could there be cheaper alternatives that give me the sound I want? More expensive alternatives that give me better? Most likely, and maybe. But I'm done searching, time to listen for my enjoyment going forward for me rather than stressing over the minutiae of what I think I'm hearing.

I like the build quality, flexibility, find the weight not to be an issue, and cable microphonics are extremely low to non-existent with the Dana's.

Mar 18, 2017 at 7:14 AM Post #4,865 of 5,632
I receive the Dana a few weeks ago and has been enjoying the Utopia much more than the stock cable. As you said. I can enjoy my music for hours straight. Personally, its musical and brought more life and emotion to the music. I value this than me analyzing the music. So I am keeping the cable.

Mar 18, 2017 at 8:01 AM Post #4,866 of 5,632
Okay. I've been spending some time today listening and switching between the Kimber Axios, Danacable Lazuli Reference FC and the stock cable. Compared to the Axios and Lazuli, the stock cable sounds rather "smeary", like there's a bit of temporal blurring/ringing around every sound that obscures everything around it slightly. Both the Lazuli and the Axios clear up that smearing, but other than that, they're very different.

The Danacable Lazuli Reference FC is probably the easiest to talk about, so I'll start there. Other than clearing up the smeary sound from the stock cable, it has a bit of a laid-back, mellow character that makes it very easy to immediately enjoy. It has a non-fatiguing, slightly sweet/euphonic sound that reminds me a bit of the HD650 or HEKv2, like you could put the headphones on, turn on some music, and work for hours without ear fatigue. It may give up just a little bit of absolute dynamics, but it's hard to tell.

The Kimber Axios is sort of complicated. I think in terms of absolute performance, it's quite amazing. The smeariness of the stock cables is completely gone. What's left feels incredibly exact in terms of describing the harmonics, attack, release, and decay of every sound in the recording. It's hard to describe without rambling. My first night with this cable, I stayed up late listening to stuff like The Black Keys, White Stripes, Margaret Glaspy, and The Kills because I couldn't get over how richly *complicated* guitar distortion sounded, like several distinct waveforms laid on top of each other, building on and interfering with each other. There's a My Brightest Diamond song called "Pressure" that starts with some marching-band style drums with some very fast drum rolls. Listening with this cable was the first time I felt like I could hear every single strike of a stick on the drum head, *as well as* the resulting rattle of the snares (and subsequent decay) as completely distinct sounds. The harmonic overtones of acoustic instruments and female vocals stay distinct and don't get lost in the fundamental tones. In multitrack vocals, it feels like I could pick out each individual take. The dynamics are at least as good as the stock cables, maybe slightly more snappy feeling due to the lack of smearing. For me, this cable really refines all the aspects of the Utopia that made me buy it in the first place. That being said, it's also incredibly unforgiving of everything in your chain. My regular desktop DAC is a PS Audio NuWave DSD, which I've been pretty happy with. It does, however, have a certain high-frequency "sizzle" and a certain percussive crispiness that I could hear hints of in previous incarnations of my headphone setup, but it's too obvious (and fatiguing) to ignore now, especially now that I've compared it to the DirectStream in my loudspeaker system.

I think you can probably tell that I prefer the Axios over the Danacable. I may keep both (and shop for a new desktop-sized DAC as well), as the Danacable is considerably more forgiving than the Axios and some of the more poorly recorded music I listen to might not sound great with such a revealing cable.

The final cable I plan on auditioning is the Lavricable, which hasn't arrived yet. I'm not sure on ETA for that one.

Thank you for such a well thought out and explanatory review. I do not have the option of auditioning cables - as I am sure many do not short of buying multiple ones - so it was very helpful. I have an Axios arriving next week which was purchased based upon the recommendations of my dealer and the Focal people who I spoke with at CanJam. It seemed like two good sources from recommendations! The Focal designer was fairly adamant on the Kimber selection - an unequivocal - Kimber.

Mar 18, 2017 at 1:41 PM Post #4,867 of 5,632
I wish I could pull the trigger on a Danacable or Axios.. but I think I better just take things slow or things can get out of hand when your a compulsive person like me, lol

but I just got the tracking number today on my Lavricable Grand Utopia cable, it ships from Latvia who not sure how long it takes to reach me.  hopefully that prove to be a worthwhile upgrade over the stock cable.  I don't have any really issues with the stock cable I don't mind its length but it is just too heavy at times which you notice when you move around, plus the Lavricable will have the XLR termination I wanted.  I havent had silver in my system since I had some Silver Kimber interconnects like a decade back. Cant wait to get it if nothing else its look pretty damn good!

Mar 18, 2017 at 2:40 PM Post #4,868 of 5,632
   Got the utopia and driving with my AK380 copper with amp.   Only 24 hours and can't wait for it to burn-in further.   Just sublime and amazed portable audio has reach this level. 

Congrats! The same combination here!
beerchug.gif

My Utopia has 220 hours on it. I was unsure for quite some time if it really does profit from burn-in, but now I know, it does. :) This headphone really needs 200 hours, probably even more. It sounds great from the beginning, but there are some subtle improvements over the course time that you will enjoy too!

Mar 18, 2017 at 6:44 PM Post #4,869 of 5,632

My first impressions with the Dana's was that the highs were attenuated, missing. Going back and forth between stock and a few other cables on all my HP's I came to my own conclusions that the highs weren't missing but that something akin to video "ghosting" had been removed improving clarity. A bit of added warmth and oomph in the low bass and mid-bass without loss of detail was also a welcome quality to my ears.

I noticed that in your signature that you listen primarily to Classical music. The Danacable definitely has a knack for ambient sound and presenting music as a coherent whole that I think would really lend itself to a wide variety of orchestral music.

Mar 18, 2017 at 7:19 PM Post #4,870 of 5,632
Bob Katz has posted another article on the Utopia Vs. The LCD-4 at Innerfidelity. Interesting results. I like the LCD-4 and the Utopia for different reasons, both have their strengths and weaknesses. 

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/katz%E2%80%99s-corner-episode-14-guest-listeners-shoot-out-audeze-lcd-4-vs-focal-utopia#HGrdIX8Hb3PVqzSO.97

Mar 18, 2017 at 7:42 PM Post #4,871 of 5,632

I noticed that in your signature that you listen primarily to Classical music. The Danacable definitely has a knack for ambient sound and presenting music as a coherent whole that I think would really lend itself to a wide variety of orchestral music.

It certainly seems to. And the clean highs help with less than well recorded music so I can hear more detail which adds to my enjoyment. I can be forgiving of some minor degree of shortcomings in the bass and mid-range, but if the highs don't suit my ears I reach of state of listening fatigue very quickly.

I've found the whole idea of sound quality to be a moving target; this source type, that DAC, this amp, and the various cables that connect them all. The buck stops at the headphones and like you said, everything in the chain adds in for better or worse, especially with the Utopia (and my stock HD800). So far I prefer plain copper cabling to the silver and/or other exotic metal combos. After I get sufficient time listening to the Dana's and my ears are fully tuned in to them I plan to reinsert the stock cables and see how much difference there is to my ears and if I still feel the same about stock versus Dana's as I do now. Went through that same exercise with my HD800 already and based on that I didn't hesitate to order the Dana's when I finally decided on buying the Utopia.

Looking forward to your impression of LavriCables and where they fit in to this pantheon of expensive wires, (LOL).

Mar 18, 2017 at 7:54 PM Post #4,872 of 5,632
  Bob Katz has posted another article on the Utopia Vs. The LCD-4 at Innerfidelity. Interesting results. I like the LCD-4 and the Utopia for different reasons, both have their strengths and weaknesses. 

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/katz%E2%80%99s-corner-episode-14-guest-listeners-shoot-out-audeze-lcd-4-vs-focal-utopia#HGrdIX8Hb3PVqzSO.97

​Some of the other guys there absolutely do not know what they are talking about, in my opinion. Utopia's bass accuracy only a "5", no stereo imaging, dynamics only a "6". Really? Only in your dreams! And a harsh 5k-8kHz range? Every other headphone I own is harsher there.

And the comfort of the LCD-4 is a perfect "10". Come on, this thing breaks peoples' necks!

Mar 18, 2017 at 8:12 PM Post #4,873 of 5,632
Its just opinions...different strokes for different folks.
Everyone hears alittle differently and has different tastes in music, and are entitle to their opinion.
On the other hand, lots of highly regarded reviewers and listeners actually preferred the Utopia over the LCD-4.
Tyll Hertsens is a prime example.
He didnt even put the LCD-4 on his Wall of Fame.
Also, if the sources, dacs, and amps would have been more high-end, or even different, the outcomes and opinions could have also been totally different.
I haven't heard the Audeze, so I do not have an opinion on a comparison with the Utopia, which I do own.
In the end, it is up to the listener to decide which headphone winds up being their personal favorite.
There is no wrong or right answer, its all personal opinion in the end.
Just my 2 cents.

Mar 18, 2017 at 8:16 PM Post #4,874 of 5,632

​Some of the other guys there absolutely do not know what they are talking about, in my opinion. Utopia's bass accuracy only a "5", no stereo imaging, dynamics only a "6". Really? Only in your dreams! And a harsh 5k-8kHz range? Every other headphone I own is harsher there.

And the comfort of the LCD-4 is a perfect "10". Come on, this thing breaks peoples' necks!

You may disagree with their opinions but I'm sure you'll agree with me that such impressions from a panel of professionals who do not take Focal or Audeze sponsor money is refreshing compared to paid ''reviews'' which are quick to proclaim every new super expensive headphone as awesome.

Paid review: The Utopia is the best ever, the only downside is the length of the cable. Please use it with a $4000 amp + $8000 DAC + $3000 cable to get the most from it. Also make sure to burn it in for 237.5 hrs. 

My understanding of Bob Katz meta review: The Utopia is a very impressive headphone but maybe a touch brighter and bass light compared to his reference speaker system and real life reproduction of music.

I know which one is more useful to me.

I have a question for you. When you evaluate a headphone what is the reference you use to determine if it is high fidelity i.e true to the source?

Thanks!

PS

Most of them rate the Utopias as more comfortable, I've tried both and I agree 100%. There are people with stronger necks than ours for whom Audezes are not a problem. Lucky them!

Mar 18, 2017 at 8:19 PM Post #4,875 of 5,632

This is my first time seeing this series, so I'm not familiar with how it's gone up to this point. I wonder if the test setup is tuned for the LCD-4s. He seems to like them quite a bit, but everybody's description of the sound and the differences between the two headphones don't really match up to my experience with them. As for comfort, I'm really scratching my head there. I find the LCD-4s really heavy and awkwardly balanced. They also have a weirdly "closed" feel to them that I attribute to the suction cup effect they have when I put them on and take them off. The Utopia, while heavy, seems to have better balance and support, at least for my tastes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back