Focal Elear and Utopia Review / Preview With Measurements - Head-Fi TV
Mar 19, 2017 at 5:58 AM Post #4,891 of 5,632
And this should be the motto of Head-Fi regardless of what headphones you're listening to, or what budget you have...

It doesn't really matter what other people think, it is you wearing / using the product...

if that was so then there would be no need for this forum. it goes without saying that what others think obviously does matter to a lot of folks who frequent these threads.

Mar 19, 2017 at 6:02 AM Post #4,892 of 5,632
if that was so then there would be no need for this forum. it goes without saying that what others think obviously does matter to a lot of folks who frequent these threads.
For sure, however I suppose that there is no over arching authority on the subject - so, advice - absolutely, but absolute fact? highly unlikely

Mar 19, 2017 at 6:05 AM Post #4,893 of 5,632
For sure, however I suppose that there is no over arching authority on the subject - so, advice - absolutely, but absolute fact? highly unlikely

we deal in opinions here for the most part. some are more informed than others, however.

Mar 19, 2017 at 6:59 AM Post #4,894 of 5,632

Utopia are the most addictive hps I have had in the last years, since I bought them all my other hps are just gathering dust on the stands, and I have sold also some. and yes, this is just my opinion, and Katz&friends have their own different opinions. their more valuable? maybe, but then everyone in the audio community should be using pro electronics and speakers at home.
IMHO music REproduction is different from music production. otherwise I could say that Utopia is the best hps since the majority of my friends who play professionally (jazz and classical music) do prefer Utopia over LCD4.

You name a very important point. IMHO, high end gear should REproduce real music. At least reviewers should benchmark the gear reviewed against reality instead of a bass-heavy speaker setup or their personal preference of colored music reproduction. This is why I value the opinion of professional musicians highly. They have trained ears and brains as well as ample experience about how real music sounds.

Of course it is ok to like a different sound signature, too. I also like my HE1K (V1) very much, although I know that it adds some coloration to the music. But I also know that the Utopia is the much better headphone technically, more neutral, faster, with much better dynamics, etc. If I would be a professional reviewing headphones, I would have to state this instead of degrading a headphone which is very close to perfect music reproduction, IMHO. So I am not criticizing Bob Katz, whose review seems to be extensive, thorough and objective to me. On the other hand, some "ratings" by the other panelists are highly questionable, at least when applying objective criteria.

Mar 19, 2017 at 7:16 AM Post #4,895 of 5,632
I had a read of Katz's review, and I can't help feeling, from having had the Utopias here for a couple of weeks, that quite a bit of what he is hearing, apart his description of the tonality, is from his gear, not the headphones. For example, " This phone brings too many presence ranges forward, obscuring depth" and "sometimes a bit harsh in the sibilance range". I don't feel that so much on my main system with a high-quality 2-channel recording, but do feel like they are somewhat on the bright-side.

The comments from the other experts are definitely interesting, though I would like to know if it was from the same system that they were listening.

Mar 19, 2017 at 8:05 AM Post #4,896 of 5,632
I had a read of Katz's review, and I can't help feeling, from having had the Utopias here for a couple of weeks, that quite a bit of what he is hearing, apart his description of the tonality, is from his gear, not the headphones. For example, "[COLOR=333333] This phone brings too many presence ranges forward, obscuring depth" and "sometimes a bit harsh in the sibilance range". I don't feel that so much on my main system with a high-quality 2-channel recording, but do feel like they are somewhat on the bright-side.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=333333]The comments from the other experts are definitely interesting, though I would like to know if it was from the same system that they were listening.[/COLOR]

I would hope it's from the same system... if not then it is way too many variables versus Katz opinion

Mar 19, 2017 at 2:00 PM Post #4,898 of 5,632
The LCD-4 is stellar and very much underrated in the high end HP market,good to see it get its proper recognition

Mar 19, 2017 at 2:23 PM Post #4,899 of 5,632
The LCD-4 is stellar and very much underrated in the high end HP market,good to see it get its proper recognition
these guys are some of the best sound engineers and technicians in the world and their professional opinion is kosher.
Told my headphone dealer that comparing an LCD 4 V FOCAL UTOPIA from a purely cosmetic perspective is akin to comparing A BENTLEY to a TOYOTA CAMRY.
I speak with clear mind as i own both TOTL set of phones.

Mar 19, 2017 at 5:04 PM Post #4,900 of 5,632
Regarding the review, the LCD-4s need a lot more power to reach its potential compared to the utopia. Even audeze doesn't recommend the deckard...

Mar 19, 2017 at 9:05 PM Post #4,901 of 5,632

Told my headphone dealer that comparing an LCD 4 V FOCAL UTOPIA from a purely cosmetic perspective is akin to comparing A BENTLEY to a TOYOTA CAMRY.
I speak with clear mind as i own both TOTL set of phones.

Seriously? LCD 4 are well made indeed and I dig the metal faceplate and the built are definitely very luxurious but to equate a carbon fibre clad Utopia to a Toyota Camry?

Now if you are referring to a HEK I can understand but definitely not an Utopia by any means

Mar 19, 2017 at 9:05 PM Post #4,902 of 5,632

I do love the LCD-4, but believe the Utopia outclassed it. Hence why I sold my LCD-4 awhile back.

So far the Abyss and Utopia are my flagships of choice.

That being said, if I had to own one more, there's no doubt I would get an LCD-4 over a STAX 009/007 / HE-1000

Seriously? LCD 4 are well made indeed and I dig the metal faceplate and the built are definitely very luxurious but to equate a carbon fibre clad Utopia to a Toyota Camry?

Now if you are referring to a HEK I can understand but definitely not an Utopia by any means

Fully agree. They are both well designed headphones for what they are.

I will say, my friends constantly make fun of the LCD-4 as looking like a George Foreman grill, whereas the Utopia has not had any comments.

Mar 19, 2017 at 9:09 PM Post #4,903 of 5,632

I do love the LCD-4, but believe my Utopia outclassed it. Hence why I sold my LCD-4 awhile back.

So far the Abyss and Utopia are my flagships of choice.

Fully agreed. I have extensively auditioned LCD-4 before deciding against it. Tho I have a HEK V1 (V2 is on its way as we speak) as well, the 2 headphones that I found myself constantly reaching for are my Utopia and Abyss, which compliment each other very well imo

Mar 19, 2017 at 9:13 PM Post #4,904 of 5,632

Fully agreed. I have extensively auditioned LCD-4 before deciding against it. Tho I have a HEK V1 (V2 is on its way as we speak) as well, the 2 headphones that I found myself constantly reaching for are my Utopia and Abyss, which compliment each other very well imo

See, the thing is, hopefully everyone sees that I very much enjoyed the LCD-4, BUT I GAVE UP OWNERSHIP OF IT for the Abyss and recently got a Utopia which does compliment the Abyss very well.

The HEK v1 is great for the now (used) price, but I felt it was a good step or two lower than the LCD-4/Abyss/Utopia. HEK v2 is better, but still gets bested by that trio for me. The laid pack tonality is great and all, but I have never been a relaxed sort of listener. Even when doing work, I will always grab something that makes me shake my head around and sing out loud.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back