Focal Elear and Utopia Review / Preview With Measurements - Head-Fi TV
Mar 14, 2017 at 1:42 AM Post #4,831 of 5,632
I am pretty sure you will like the Lavricables! Konstantins is adamant that the cable improves over 150 hours or so. I don't have the knowledge to confirm whether that is feasible but I'd at least put some hours on before reaching judgement on it.

I'm pretty ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ on the concept of cable burn-in. If it's a thing, I'd be surprised if the cable completely changed character in those 150 hours. If I don't like the general way it sounds at hour 0, I'm probably not going to like it at hour 150.

Mar 14, 2017 at 1:48 AM Post #4,832 of 5,632
The cables burn in do take affects....however, I have mentioned this before. If you love copper materials, it is really hard to beat stock cables once you converted it to Balanced. Unless you wanted a shorter cables. Now, if you love and fancy other materials, go with silver-gold materials. It is exquisite, and it is expensive, but it is worth it.

I can explain more in details, but it won't do any goods, and it is the job of the cables vendors

Also, not all cables are made the same :D even if they use similar materials

I'm pretty ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ on the concept of cable burn-in. If it's a thing, I'd be surprised if the cable completely changed character in those 150 hours. If I don't like the general way it sounds at hour 0, I'm probably not going to like it at hour 150.

Mar 14, 2017 at 2:02 AM Post #4,833 of 5,632
The cables burn in do take affects....however, I have mentioned this before. If you love copper materials, it is really hard to beat stock cables once you converted it to Balanced. Unless you wanted a shorter cables. Now, if you love and fancy other materials, go with silver-gold materials. It is exquisite, and it is expensive, but it is worth it.

I can explain more in details, but it won't do any goods, and it is the job of the cables vendors

Also, not all cables are made the same
biggrin.gif
even if they use similar materials

This cable demoing experience has definitely given me an appreciation for the stock cables. I'm a little surprised, as almost any aftermarket swap on other headphones I've owned has always improved the sound. The length of the stock cable is annoying and I would prefer a 4-pin XLR termination, but my current amp is not inherently balanced in design, so there isn't much to be gained, other than some imperceptible amount of crosstalk reduction from not sharing a ground plane between channels. I'll just leave it as-is if I can't find a cable that improves on it.

My comment re: burn-in was more that I don't have strong feelings either way about cable burn-in as a concept, but that I don't believe that the overall sound of the cable will change, when describing it in broad strokes. Maybe the sound will evolve, but the basic structure of how it sounds will be there from the beginning.

Mar 14, 2017 at 2:06 AM Post #4,834 of 5,632
This cable demoing experience has definitely given me an appreciation for the stock cables. I'm a little surprised, as almost any aftermarket swap on other headphones I've owned has always improved the sound. The length of the stock cable is annoying and I would prefer a 4-pin XLR termination, but my current amp is not inherently balanced in design, so there isn't much to be gained, other than some imperceptible amount of crosstalk reduction from not sharing a ground plane between channels. I'll just leave it as-is if I can't find a cable that improves on it.

My comment re: burn-in was more that I don't have strong feelings either way about cable burn-in as a concept, but that I don't believe that the overall sound of the cable will change, when describing it in broad strokes. Maybe the sound will evolve, but the basic structure of how it sounds will be there from the beginning.

That is correct regarding the burn-in, yes. The Utopia is expensive, and the cables it comes with is not just any cheap and come-by cables :). If you don't need the balanced design, then it comes exactly as how you wanted it :D.

I agree with you that not all cables from 3rd party will bring improvements against stock cables. Most of the time that it does , it is because the other manufacturers uses very cheap cables to throw in the package....I wouldn't call them out. But Focal and Utopia is not that :)

Mar 14, 2017 at 2:19 AM Post #4,835 of 5,632
That is correct regarding the burn-in, yes. The Utopia is expensive, and the cables it comes with is not just any cheap and come-by cables
smily_headphones1.gif
. If you don't need the balanced design, then it comes exactly as how you wanted it
biggrin.gif

I agree with you that not all cables from 3rd party will bring improvements against stock cables. Most of the time that it does , it is because the other manufacturers uses very cheap cables to throw in the package....I wouldn't call them out. But Focal and Utopia is not that
smily_headphones1.gif

FYI - Here's a guy who can re-terminate and/or shorten cables.  Calls his company VERBESSEN; he's on etsy. 
https://www.etsy.com/listing/495751377/cable-retermination-and-shortening?ref=shop_home_active_7

Mar 14, 2017 at 12:02 PM Post #4,836 of 5,632
Mar 15, 2017 at 5:12 AM Post #4,837 of 5,632
Good day,
Last month I have just finally received my Focal Elear headphones ( I have prepaid them on December 2016, but they arrived 16/03/2017). I have also FOCAL CLASSIC, AKG 701 and BEYERDYNAMIC T1 headphones, for mobile use with smartphone ( intend to buy ASTELL&KERN Jr) I have BEYERDYNAMIC T 50p. I need Your suggestion regarding desktop headphone amplifier with or without DAC for my ELEAR headphones-to open fully their potential. I plan to buy BEYERDYNAMIC A2  headphone amplifier for T1 headphones, but I never heared it with ELEAR. I have some options GRAHAM SLEE, LEHMANN, WOO AUDIO, new SONY TA-ZH1ES. If You have some other opinion based on Your hearing experience. From many rewievs I read only how good they are or average but no one mention whit what they listen it, because You can have fastest possible car on the world but if You do not know to drive .......Awaiting Your comments/suggestions. With kind regards, Nenad.

Mar 15, 2017 at 6:20 PM Post #4,838 of 5,632
  Good day,
Last month I have just finally received my Focal Elear headphones ( I have prepaid them on December 2016, but they arrived 16/03/2017). I have also FOCAL CLASSIC, AKG 701 and BEYERDYNAMIC T1 headphones, for mobile use with smartphone ( intend to buy ASTELL&KERN Jr) I have BEYERDYNAMIC T 50p. I need Your suggestion regarding desktop headphone amplifier with or without DAC for my ELEAR headphones-to open fully their potential. I plan to buy BEYERDYNAMIC A2  headphone amplifier for T1 headphones, but I never heared it with ELEAR. I have some options GRAHAM SLEE, LEHMANN, WOO AUDIO, new SONY TA-ZH1ES. If You have some other opinion based on Your hearing experience. From many rewievs I read only how good they are or average but no one mention whit what they listen it, because You can have fastest possible car on the world but if You do not know to drive .......Awaiting Your comments/suggestions. With kind regards, Nenad.

@Nenad. I had Elear with WA6SE with upgraded tubes ( 2 drivers/ 1 rectifier tubes ) amp for about three weeks. It sounds wonderful for the money. However, I just want want the best so I won't regret later so I upgraded to Utopia.
Still burnin with WAS6E with roughly 100 hrs.
For you, I think that should be very good already.
I have an itch so I just received my ALO Studio Six tube amp today. Will sell WS6SE at a later time.

Hope that helps you a little bit.

Mar 15, 2017 at 9:10 PM Post #4,839 of 5,632
Received the Axios today from Kimber (that was fast!). Pretty impressed so far... seems to bring everything into focus in a way that makes the stock cable sound slightly "blurry" in comparison. I feel like I can hear all the space around instruments, even in busy sections. The most noticeable thing is that I can hear all the nuances and the quietest echoes from reverb, even when a lot of other stuff is going on. Harmonic tones from electric guitars and female vocals seem much more clear and present. The overall sound is a little bit forward, but it doesn't feel like there's less bass when switching between cables. I think there's just so much more to hear now in the midrange and upper registers that I can't help but pay attention to it. This is the first cable I've tried that seems like it improves on the stock cable without trade offs. I'm still waiting to receive the Lavricable Grand and Danacable though.

Mar 15, 2017 at 9:18 PM Post #4,840 of 5,632
Received the Axios today from Kimber (that was fast!). Pretty impressed so far... seems bring everything into focus in a way that makes the stock cable sound slightly "blurry" in comparison. I feel like I can hear all the space around instruments, even in busy sections. The most noticeable thing is that I can hear all the nuances and the quietest echoes from reverb, even when a lot of other stuff is going on. Harmonic tones from electric guitars and female vocals seem much more clear and present. The overall sound is a little bit forward, but it doesn't feel like there's less bass when switching between cables. I think there's just so much more to hear now in the midrange and upper registers that I can't help but pay attention to it. This is the first cable I've tried that seems like it improves on the stock cable without trade offs. I'm still waiting to receive the Lavricable Grand and Danacable though.
how much did it cost v DANACABLE V LAVRICABLE GRANDMASTER if you may

Mar 15, 2017 at 9:44 PM Post #4,841 of 5,632
  Received the Axios today from Kimber (that was fast!). Pretty impressed so far... seems bring everything into focus in a way that makes the stock cable sound slightly "blurry" in comparison. I feel like I can hear all the space around instruments, even in busy sections. The most noticeable thing is that I can hear all the nuances and the quietest echoes from reverb, even when a lot of other stuff is going on. Harmonic tones from electric guitars and female vocals seem much more clear and present. The overall sound is a little bit forward, but it doesn't feel like there's less bass when switching between cables. I think there's just so much more to hear now in the midrange and upper registers that I can't help but pay attention to it. This is the first cable I've tried that seems like it improves on the stock cable without trade offs. I'm still waiting to receive the Lavricable Grand and Danacable though.

I have a Lavricable grand on order, waiting to receive it. but did look at both axios and danacable.
pls keep posted on how you find the Lavricable Grand and Danacable vs the Axios.

Mar 15, 2017 at 9:51 PM Post #4,842 of 5,632
The Danacable will be interesting to me...keep us posted when you have a chance :sweat_smile:

Mar 15, 2017 at 9:54 PM Post #4,843 of 5,632
I have a Lavricable grand on order, waiting to receive it. but did look at both axios and danacable.
pls keep posted on how you find the Lavricable Grand and Danacable vs the Axios.
i own the Lavricables master for my utopia's and elears plus adapters .....Konstantin is a fantastic cable artisan...Pound for pound the best cable i own in my collection which includes danacable, moon audio, cardas et el.....

Mar 16, 2017 at 5:19 AM Post #4,845 of 5,632
I'm hoping Lavricables win this comparison.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back