Focal Elear and Utopia Review / Preview With Measurements - Head-Fi TV
Mar 16, 2017 at 1:29 PM Post #4,848 of 5,632
Hardly
smily_headphones1.gif
Kimber Axios is at least 21 AWG. The larger the size, the better the conductivity, the more expensive the materials, and the better performances. Speaking out of my own experiences
smily_headphones1.gif

I would think the shielding characteristics of the construction would be more important, but my knowledge of this could be fit in a thimble.

Mar 16, 2017 at 3:03 PM Post #4,849 of 5,632
I would think the shielding characteristics of the construction would be more important, but my knowledge of this could be fit in a thimble.

That as well , shielding can be substituted by braiding, and different geometry will affect the sound performances differently :). The reason why many aftermarket cable is braided style. However, stock cables has a throughout body shield

Again, everything affect sound performances.

Mar 16, 2017 at 5:17 PM Post #4,850 of 5,632
That as well , shielding can be substituted by braiding, and different geometry will affect the sound performances differently :). The reason why many aftermarket cable is braided style. However, stock cables has a throughout body shield

Again, everything affect sound performances.
Shielding is cheaper but ads resistance

The Source AV TSAVJason Stay updated on The Source AV at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com./pages/The-Source-AV-Design-Group/153623164648713 http://www.twitter.com/TheSourceAV http://www.instagram.com/Thesourceavdesign http://thesourceav.com/ Products@TheSourceAV.com
Mar 16, 2017 at 10:35 PM Post #4,851 of 5,632
Hardly :) Kimber Axios is at least 21 AWG. The larger the size, the better the conductivity, the more expensive the materials, and the better performances. Speaking out of my own experiences :)

Grand Lavricables is a 20x awg28 cable, so 5x awg28 per connection, that worked out to be effectively awg21, so same league as the Kimber Axios. Kimber cable is also just copper, Lavricables are silver.

Mar 17, 2017 at 1:03 AM Post #4,852 of 5,632
The Danacable will be interesting to me...keep us posted when you have a chance :sweat_smile:

x2

Received the Axios today from Kimber (that was fast!). Pretty impressed so far... seems to bring everything into focus in a way that makes the stock cable sound slightly "blurry" in comparison. I feel like I can hear all the space around instruments, even in busy sections. The most noticeable thing is that I can hear all the nuances and the quietest echoes from reverb, even when a lot of other stuff is going on. Harmonic tones from electric guitars and female vocals seem much more clear and present. The overall sound is a little bit forward, but it doesn't feel like there's less bass when switching between cables. I think there's just so much more to hear now in the midrange and upper registers that I can't help but pay attention to it. This is the first cable I've tried that seems like it improves on the stock cable without trade offs. I'm still waiting to receive the Lavricable Grand and Danacable though.

Look forward to hearing your impressions
smile_phones.gif

Mar 17, 2017 at 10:19 AM Post #4,853 of 5,632
I just recently purchased a Utopia and thought I’d provide a few brief thoughts on its sound.

To give it the best source material, I chose two CDs I’ve gotten recently. Both have exceptionally involving music and are examples of the current state-of-the-art in CD engineering, Mariza - Fado Em Mim and Allen Toussaint - The Bright Mississippi. 

I a/b’ed these with the Utopia and HD800 w/french  mod (which I felt was an upgrade from the LCD-3 I previously owned). My equipment is a Yggy+Rag sourced from iTunes+BitPerfect over USB. The HD800 has a Q Cables balanced cable and the Utopia has the stock cable (soon to be switched to the Q when the Utopia adapters arrive).

There isn’t much to say other than the Utopia has a level of punch, realism and musicality that I’ve never heard before from a recording. This is clear evidence that there is nothing ‘missing’ on well recorded redbook CDs when played on the right equipment. This music on the Utopia comes out of a layered blackness with all the energy and detail I’ve only ever heard before sitting in my local jazz club - Yoshi’s.

In comparison, the music produced by the HD800 was distanced, veiled and far less involving. Someone on this thread compared the difference to HDR - they were spot on.

My wallet definitely is in the dumps but my musical soul is riding high …

Mar 17, 2017 at 10:53 AM Post #4,854 of 5,632
  I just recently purchased a Utopia and thought I’d provide a few brief thoughts on its sound.

To give it the best source material, I chose two CDs I’ve gotten recently. Both have exceptionally involving music and are examples of the current state-of-the-art in CD engineering, Mariza - Fado Em Mim and Allen Toussaint - The Bright Mississippi. 

I a/b’ed these with the Utopia and HD800 w/french  mod (which I felt was an upgrade from the LCD-3 I previously owned). My equipment is a Yggy+Rag sourced from iTunes+BitPerfect over USB. The HD800 has a Q Cables balanced cable and the Utopia has the stock cable (soon to be switched to the Q when the Utopia adapters arrive).

There isn’t much to say other than the Utopia has a level of punch, realism and musicality that I’ve never heard before from a recording. This is clear evidence that there is nothing ‘missing’ on well recorded redbook CDs when played on the right equipment. This music on the Utopia comes out of a layered blackness with all the energy and detail I’ve only ever heard before sitting in my local jazz club - Yoshi’s.

In comparison, the music produced by the HD800 was distanced, veiled and far less involving. Someone on this thread compared the difference to HDR - they were spot on.

My wallet definitely is in the dumps but my musical soul is riding high …

great write up and I concurr.
going on nothing but the Utopia for the last month, I need to whip out my hd800 and lcdX to compare myself. 

Mar 17, 2017 at 8:27 PM Post #4,859 of 5,632
Grand Lavricables is a 20x awg28 cable, so 5x awg28 per connection, that worked out to be effectively awg21, so same league as the Kimber Axios. Kimber cable is also just copper, Lavricables are silver.

That sounds correct :) . Must be very stiff eh :D. But more impressions - more choices for people

Users who are viewing this thread

Back