Focal Elear and Utopia Review / Preview With Measurements - Head-Fi TV
Aug 25, 2016 at 3:31 PM Post #2,266 of 5,632
Think it through..
How could a non authorized seller get stock when there is so little available to the authorized sellers currently 
wink_face.gif

Aug 25, 2016 at 4:48 PM Post #2,268 of 5,632
They're listed as a dealer on focal's site, list themselves as a focal dealer on their own site, have positive feedback on Amazon etc... I took the gamble. Will have elears next week. My first ever pair of open cans. Looking forward to it.

Aug 25, 2016 at 4:50 PM Post #2,269 of 5,632
They're listed as a dealer on focal's site, list themselves as a focal dealer on their own site, have positive feedback on Amazon etc... I took the gamble. Will have elears next week. My first ever pair of open cans. Looking forward to it.

Congrats, their a reputable shop, I just personally have only used them for repairs. Small place in Cambridge, never seem to have much in the way of new equipment mostly used.

I did look them up on focal, parsons and natural sound are the two focal dealers in Boston, audiolabs did not show up, but the rep on here did say there are new dealers.
I just called audiolab they are not a dealer of focal.

Aug 25, 2016 at 5:00 PM Post #2,270 of 5,632
I got my Utopia's today, and they are pretty great.  My question is, has anyone found a good case for them?  I don't really want to go through the whole process of repacking them in the original box when putting them away.  Any thoughts on this?  I got kind of spoiled with the Ether case...  That is a good case.

Aug 25, 2016 at 5:43 PM Post #2,271 of 5,632
  I got my Utopia's today, and they are pretty great.  My question is, has anyone found a good case for them?  I don't really want to go through the whole process of repacking them in the original box when putting them away.  Any thoughts on this?  I got kind of spoiled with the Ether case...  That is a good case.

This one works perfectly (minus the cables though).

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009NE7B06/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Aug 25, 2016 at 7:39 PM Post #2,272 of 5,632

I would personally go the custom route and get a pelican case that has the customizable foam.

Aug 25, 2016 at 8:39 PM Post #2,274 of 5,632

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009NE7B06/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have 5 cases that are more or less like this and have traveled the world with them. They work great, provide enough protection, aren't overly expensive and they are light. That is the type I would use for the Utopia as well.

Aug 26, 2016 at 6:13 AM Post #2,275 of 5,632

I use this exact case with my AKG K812s. Only thing is that I have to detach the cables first but the fit is perfect and the quality, especially considering the price, is excellent.

It's of course not as sturdy as a Pelican case (I wouldn't recommend jumping on it for example) but I've traveled with it extensively and it has withstood all the normal abuse that comes with traveling without any issues whatsoever. I would say that it's at least as good as the case that comes with the MrSpeakers Ethers.

Aug 26, 2016 at 11:31 AM Post #2,276 of 5,632
Specs list this at 80ohms but looking at the innerfidelity measurements I see that the impedance spikes up to 300-325(!!) in the bass.  This could explain the differing opinions regarding bass response. A phone or small portable amp won't give you the bass as intended.

Aug 26, 2016 at 12:05 PM Post #2,277 of 5,632
Specs list this at 80ohms but looking at the innerfidelity measurements I see that the impedance spikes up to 300-325(!!) in the bass.  This could explain the differing opinions regarding bass response. A phone or small portable amp won't give you the bass as intended.

Every headphone will benefit from being used with a powerful amplifier.
The sound will be more mature,fuller, with all the frequency response extended.

Aug 26, 2016 at 3:38 PM Post #2,278 of 5,632

The headphone presents a reactive, not resistive load to the amplifier... looking at the phase angles will tell you that the load at resonance is mostly inductive (if it wasn't you could imagine how terrible it would sound with the driver being completely undamped at resonance).  Most solid state amps in my experience don't have a problem driving an inductive load, even ones with a relatively weak power supply.  Your problem is more likely higher in frequency ~200hz, where the load is far more capacitive and the current demand may outstrip what a portable amp is capable of providing.

Aug 26, 2016 at 5:23 PM Post #2,279 of 5,632

The headphone presents a reactive, not resistive load to the amplifier... looking at the phase angles will tell you that the load at resonance is mostly inductive (if it wasn't you could imagine how terrible it would sound with the driver being completely undamped at resonance).  Most solid state amps in my experience don't have a problem driving an inductive load, even ones with a relatively weak power supply.  Your problem is more likely higher in frequency ~200hz, where the load is far more capacitive and the current demand may outstrip what a portable amp is capable of providing.

Thanks for the info! I'd put my knowledge level at just enough to be dangerous.

Aug 26, 2016 at 5:41 PM Post #2,280 of 5,632

Here's a link to our impedance measurements for both the Elear and Utopia. Given that the Audio Precision APx1701 Transducer Test Interface we used to do these measurements was a pre-production unit, I sent these plots to Focal's Clement Azou for confirmation, and he said our graphs looked good. (We now have a production APx1701 at Head-Fi's office, but haven't yet re-run these measurements.)

​
 ​
 ​

Users who are viewing this thread

Back