Focal Elear and Utopia Review / Preview With Measurements - Head-Fi TV
Aug 24, 2016 at 3:40 PM Post #2,251 of 5,632
They leak a lot. My wife was in the next room watching TV and asked me to turn them down.  Luckily I was using the Mojo so I just went into a different room. 

Aug 24, 2016 at 3:43 PM Post #2,252 of 5,632
  They leak a lot. My wife was in the next room watching TV and asked me to turn them down.  Luckily I was using the Mojo so I just went into a different room. 

Our rooms are widely separated and I used to get that all the time. Now, never, which is great. I also have a door to the room. lol 

Aug 24, 2016 at 3:51 PM Post #2,253 of 5,632

In the next room and watching TV. How loud do you listen?! :eek:

I find the Utopia to be veeeery dynamic and don't really feel the need to 'crank it'.

Aug 24, 2016 at 4:50 PM Post #2,256 of 5,632
Hi m8
So what do think about the utopia with your chord Dave?

Hi. Still getting used to it. The short story is, I LOVE it. Before I received the Utopia I felt the DAVE had a lot more to give. Now I don't feel the DAVE is being held back by my headphones, or vice-versa.

The long story will be when I post my detailed impressions. My notes are turning out to be review length, lol.

Aug 24, 2016 at 5:02 PM Post #2,257 of 5,632
Hi. Still getting used to it. The short story is, I LOVE it. Before I received the Utopia I felt the DAVE had a lot more to give. Now I don't feel the DAVE is being held back by my headphones, or vice-versa.

The long story will be when I post my detailed impressions. My notes are turning out to be review length, lol.
Looking forward to your review m8.☺

Aug 24, 2016 at 5:48 PM Post #2,258 of 5,632

I have tested the Elear with:

WireWorld Nano Platinum Eclipse (OCC Silver)
WireWorld Nano Eclipse (OCC Copper)
MIT Vero Reference
WyWires Red
Dana Cables.

I will post later today my personal impressions and preference.

I have a DHC Complement4 (OCC Copper) but I need to make an adapter since it has the 2.5mm connectors for my HE1000.

Looking forward to this.

Aug 24, 2016 at 9:18 PM Post #2,259 of 5,632
The focals and planers are all so low it probably does not matter. They are both lower than every speaker on the market. The magico S5 was one of the lowest at the time of measurment.

http://www.soundstagenetwork.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=1043:nrc-measurements-magico-s5-loudspeakers&catid=77:loudspeaker-measurements&Itemid=153

The Focals are quite impressive with regards to low distortion for dynamic cone drivers...that said, they still don't compare to orthos or stats due to the limitations with standard drivers...that was my point. So the measurements infer that the "bass quality" would in fact be tighter with orthos/stats. Whether one can pick that up, like most things in life...it depends (upstream gear, source material, one's ears, etc...). 

Just speaking in generalizations. I hope to hear the Elear and Utopia headphones soon. So far the only dynamic headphone to come close to say the LCD-4/HE1000 or SR-007/SR-009 are the HD800/HD800S. These new headphones from Focal look to usurp the HD800S for dynamic driver based headphones based on their measurements, so I'm pretty excited to hear them.

Aug 25, 2016 at 12:00 AM Post #2,261 of 5,632
A question for those who own the Utopia.How much do they leak in a quiet room compared to other full size open headphones as HD650,HD800?
Wonder if they cab be used outside at all.
Thanks.

And here's why they leak a lot (they're supposed to): 

The first obvious aspect is the extent of the open design of these two products. When Utopia or Elear are being worn, the sensation is remarkable: there is absolutely no change in perception in terms of room size. This desire to not have an impact on the impedance of the room the user is in, clearly contributes to the realistic sound of these two headphones."

http://www.focal.com/headphones/docs/2016_headphones_press_release.pdf

Aug 25, 2016 at 3:12 PM Post #2,264 of 5,632
FYI there's a single focal elear up on amazon now

Not an authorized seller. Be careful with those sellers on Amazon. I also notice they allow no returns on headphones too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back