Focal Elear and Utopia Review / Preview With Measurements - Head-Fi TV
Aug 23, 2016 at 8:49 PM Post #2,221 of 5,632
Are the cables different on the Elear vs. Utopia other than the connectors on the ears? 

Is the cable stranded pure copper, solid core copper,  or silver plated, or what?

Aug 23, 2016 at 9:56 PM Post #2,224 of 5,632
  I haven't heard the Ether Flow sadly, but the Utopia definitely isn't worse than the LCD-4. It is just different. The LCD-4 is warmer, and has a bit more bass, but as I said, I think the quality of bass is "better" on the Utopia. Its punchier and faster if that makes sense. The treble is great on the Utopia too. 

Actually with dynamic drivers, you are still limited with cone breakdown and the Utopias do a great job based on their measurements. But if you look at the distortion of the bass and sub-bass between them (Utopia) or HD800S and compare them to the LCD-4, you'll see there is still a good significant reduction in distortion on the planars (and stats as well).

Aug 23, 2016 at 11:04 PM Post #2,225 of 5,632
Actually with dynamic drivers, you are still limited with cone breakdown and the Utopias do a great job based on their measurements. But if you look at the distortion of the bass and sub-bass between them (Utopia) or HD800S and compare them to the LCD-4, you'll see there is still a good significant reduction in distortion on the planars (and stats as well).

The focals and planers are all so low it probably does not matter. They are both lower than every speaker on the market. The magico S5 was one of the lowest at the time of measurment.

http://www.soundstagenetwork.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=1043:nrc-measurements-magico-s5-loudspeakers&catid=77:loudspeaker-measurements&Itemid=153

Aug 24, 2016 at 12:15 AM Post #2,226 of 5,632
  Are the cables different on the Elear vs. Utopia other than the connectors on the ears? 

Is the cable stranded pure copper, solid core copper,  or silver plated, or what?

The cable provided is OFC ( Oxygen Free Copper ). Same cable type except for different connectors.
It should be very cheap to acquire from the vendor. It's mostly OK for > 90% of listener.
Not stranded pure Copper.
Not solid Core Copper. Starting to be expensive.
Not Silver Plated. Cost a little bit more.
Not pure Silver. It's dam expensive.

Pure Copper/Solid Core Copper OR OCC is another upgraded level of money and listening for details ( More detail for lower bass region and control, More intermit Mid Vocal, Soundstage expansion, glittering in space for the upper treble region )
Pure Copper or OCC with 4 meter long cost maybe for about > $ 1500 Upward. ( Cardas Clear version )
Pure Silver with 6 feet long > $ 2300.

I usually don't use stock cable. Once you started that direction(upgrade), you don't want to go back to stock cable.

Aug 24, 2016 at 12:33 AM Post #2,227 of 5,632

The cable provided is OFC ( Oxygen Free Copper ). Same cable type except for different connectors.
It should be very cheap to acquire from the vendor. It's mostly OK for > 90% of listener.
Not stranded pure Copper.
Not solid Core Copper. Starting to be expensive.
Not Silver Plated. Cost a little bit more.
Not pure Silver. It's dam expensive.

Pure Copper/Solid Core Copper OR OCC is another upgraded level of money and listening for details ( More detail for lower bass region and control, More intermit Mid Vocal, Soundstage expansion, glittering in space for the upper treble region )
Pure Copper or OCC with 4 meter long cost maybe for about > $ 1500 Upward. ( Cardas Clear version )
Pure Silver with 6 feet long > $ 2300.

I usually don't use stock cable. Once you started that direction(upgrade), you don't want to go back to stock cable.

I wonder what type of 'upgrade' wiring will be best for the Elear. I think Jude said he's using a silver cable with his for potential improved highs. I'm leaning towards a silver plated copper one. 

Aug 24, 2016 at 12:47 AM Post #2,229 of 5,632

Good choice.

I've ordered mine for my Elear, but probably Christmas ETA time present to myself.

Which cable are you ordering? 

Aug 24, 2016 at 1:26 AM Post #2,230 of 5,632

I wonder what type of 'upgrade' wiring will be best for the Elear. I think Jude said he's using a silver cable with his for potential improved highs. I'm leaning towards a silver plated copper one. 

What could possibly be wrong with the supplied cable. I mean surely no 3rd party cable is going to change the sound signature.

Aug 24, 2016 at 1:31 AM Post #2,231 of 5,632
  What could possibly be wrong with the supplied cable. I mean surely no 3rd party cable is going to change the sound signature.

For starters, it's too long and it's not balanced. 

Aug 24, 2016 at 1:35 AM Post #2,232 of 5,632

Good point.
basshead.gif
 Forgot how long it is.

Aug 24, 2016 at 1:58 AM Post #2,233 of 5,632
Aug 24, 2016 at 2:00 AM Post #2,234 of 5,632

This. And I'll also add heavy.

But rather than go full-on custom cable, I'm going the cheap(er) route. plusSound is chopping up my factory  ~13ft cable to 4ft and re-terminating with 2.5mm TRRS balanced male. Also making three 1ft adaptors from 2.5mm to each of 3.5mm mini, 4-pin XLR, and 1/4". I'll probably make a 3.5mm mini to dual RCA interconnect with what's left as well. Worse case, I figure they're a good baseline for future cable/amp/source shopping. Looking hard at an Onkyo DP-X1 or AK320, hence the 2.5mm plug.

Aug 24, 2016 at 4:47 AM Post #2,235 of 5,632
Mmm.....I recall PlusSound mentioning much earlier in this thread that re-customizing the stock cable can be done for a small fee (less than USD100.00). It makes sense because you get to enjoy the stock sound of the Focals (as it was meant to be heard by Focal) without the ridiculously unergonomic state of the 13 foot stock cable. If it sounds fine, you do not need or you may not want to replace it with a third-party cable, which can be costly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back