Focal Elear and Utopia Review / Preview With Measurements - Head-Fi TV
Aug 23, 2016 at 7:38 AM Post #2,191 of 5,632
Not getting into all the fuss about the danger of Beryllium driver...I would like to know what are the real world sonic advantage of using Beryllium over other materials? (Sorry if that were discussed previously)

Aug 23, 2016 at 9:46 AM Post #2,193 of 5,632
lmao john2e!
biggrin.gif

My Elear's are on the Fed ex truck awaiting delivery
I might need a sick day tomorrow and early departure today (Cough... Cough ) 
very_evil_smiley.gif

Utopia's will be in my hands in 4 weeks

Not at all concerned about the carcinogen's.  My mom smoked with me in the womb and I turned out Ok and I turned out Ok and I turned out Ok 
wink_face.gif

Aug 23, 2016 at 10:49 AM Post #2,194 of 5,632
I fully agree with you here and see your point.
Especially given the price point of the product and not only and taking the big reputation Focal have in the audiophile world, i think is normal that they should step in an give a very clear statement about the beryllium used in Utopia once for all, so then the owners or future potential owners can fully enjoy them without no stress.

Focal has been using BE in their speakers for years and already has plenty of data available out on their web site.

Frankly, I'd be a lot more concerned about the risk of putting Electrostatic headphones on my head (and I'm not worried about that either)

All kidding aside, everyone really needs to move on and accept the reality that Focal has a great deal of experience working with BE.  If for whatever reason someone still has concerns, then don't purchase the Utopia.

Aug 23, 2016 at 10:54 AM Post #2,195 of 5,632
Well I'm somewhere around 97-99% confident the headphones are safe based on the info I've seen come up on this thread regarding Be. It's that last couple % that keep me interested in the discussion when people question Be. If it turns out there's a potential downside or harm, I'd like to know that up front. I suppose either way you're going to engineer for the 99.9% of daily life situations and not try to account for all the edge cases everyone can think of.

I've almost blind ordered the Utopia a couple times but I'm trying to be patient until I can hear them. As x RELIC x points out there's other headphones out there that don't contain Be. For me if it turns out I have a hard time deciding between a couple headphones that could end up being a factor. Then again as I like Focal's speakers I really hoping it works out that I can end up with a pair of their new headphones.

Aug 23, 2016 at 11:14 AM Post #2,197 of 5,632
  Many if not most high end dynamic and planar headphones use Neodymium based magnets.  Why aren't we worried about those given all of the potential dangers and health risks if improperly handled?:

Hmm, maybe we should be? Sorry if this goes too far off topic, subjecting your head to magnetic fields, reminds me of the 'god helmet' and Persinger's work. Inducing some targeted fields into your cranium can potentially induce some form of religious ecstasy or experience. Hell maybe that's why people like planer magnetics so much? What if the fields were impacting you how your brain works? Long term impact? Some of the same stuff applies for magnets (don't try to eat them etc)

Aug 23, 2016 at 11:19 AM Post #2,198 of 5,632
I kinda have to write this, just an opinion, but I sometimes find people take things too far...

EVERYTHING IS BAD FOR YOU. U can get poisoned by everything including water. U drive a car full of flammable and corrosive liquids, u use things that if burned gives of toxic gases (plastics). u eat foods full of pesticides and over genetic manipulation, and then u make a big stink about a headphone using a dangerous substance. LOL.

I think some perspective would be nice for some people to take in. u put ur life at risk everyday just by waking up. A walk outside could be your last, stepping out of the shower could kill you, a teaspoon of water can kill you, Mouth wash and toothpaste, shouldn't be digested. Isn't flouride poisonous? 

Sorry rant over

D

Aug 23, 2016 at 11:24 AM Post #2,199 of 5,632
You're right, and I try to factor all that into my life as well. I don't think there's a right or wrong answer to this. It's all choices and shades of gray. Still in discussing the topics I can learn and that is enjoyable (vs not knowing and being paranoid or afraid).

Aug 23, 2016 at 11:56 AM Post #2,200 of 5,632
OT: mmm.....getting tired of reading speculative posts about a speculative Be poisoning. It is a stupid subject matter to discuss in this thread. May I suggest to those concerned about Be poisoning to open another thread so you can discuss to death Be this and Be that......

Aug 23, 2016 at 12:37 PM Post #2,201 of 5,632
Every time you attach a Bluetooth device to your head, we're burning up soft tissue. Any time you put that cellphone to the side of your head ...same thing. We live around radiated electromagnetic fields .... Oh shoot! We live in a microwave. lol Good thing I wore my aluminum foil cap to work today. Hahahaha

The Source AV TSAVJason Stay updated on The Source AV at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com./pages/The-Source-AV-Design-Group/153623164648713 http://www.twitter.com/TheSourceAV http://www.instagram.com/Thesourceavdesign http://thesourceav.com/ Products@TheSourceAV.com
Aug 23, 2016 at 12:42 PM Post #2,202 of 5,632
I have been around a long time, and I don't think any of this has to do with jealousy. People just have to make up their minds and put things into perspective as to what they are willing to spend, based on others ears until they hear them. I got the following in the last month. I can afford the Utopia's, but went this route and did not want just one item.

In the last month I have purchased the following:

Sennheiser HD800S

Beyer Dynamic T1Gen2

Sony MDRZ7

KEF M200

ADV-Sound M4

Bowers & Wilkins C5 series 2

Also coming soon a amp $299.00, (an extra toy to play with).

Total = $3479.00 All less than 1 Utopia.

Plus MagnaFlow Competition Cat-Back exhaust for my 2015 Mustang GT 50 anniversary badging $1394.00 installed.

PS: Seems to me that those complaining of BE and are not buying the Utopia's should take all of the BE talk to the "Sound Science" forums. Obviously you are not planning on purchasing the Utopia's anyway to be honest.

Sorry about your wallet.
Happy listening!

Aug 23, 2016 at 1:14 PM Post #2,205 of 5,632

I think cell phones pose a bigger risk to human health and quality of life than these earphones ever will. Neck issues, hand, wrist, and finger issues. Some are reversible or correctable with rest or PT or surgery, some not.  The possible connection between these cellphone screens and eye issues is just coming to light and seems very real given that the average cellphone user is on their phone 5 hours+ a day, (and that figure is on the increase). Younger generations today will have decades of this self-abuse to deal with down the road.

Then there is the number of people that injure or kill themselves due to cell phone distraction yearly, which doesn't bother me. But people that injure, permanently disfigure, permanently disable, or worse yet, murder others with their vehicles or other equipment due to cell phone distraction negligence are a bigger problem that's getting worse.

To the best of my knowledge death is not treatable, correctable or reversible.

Cellphones have some nasty stuffs in them as well, and they get dropped, kicked, stepped on, wet, and exposed to extremes of heat and cold, kept in pockets and close proximity to the body. I doubt most users would be that careless with these particular $4,000 pair of earphones and doubt they would have them on their heads as many hours a day as they have their cell phones pinned to their ears, or have their necks bent at a 90 degree angle as they cradle them in their hands and squint and Google Wikipedia to find out what trigger finger is. And, in this HiFi hobby, how long do all owners of any product keep anything? Today’s new and improved is tomorrows find it for less on E-Bay.

Most of the cell phone conversations I’ve tried not to overhear in public over the years (but that are difficult to sometimes escape in all cases because the talkers are very self-important and need to draw “look at me” attention to themselves), are drivel. They are booooring, and I don’t caaaaare.

I think The Beryllium Avengers have given us fair warning. Now, what exactly is the sound of Beryllium?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back