Focal Elear and Utopia Review / Preview With Measurements - Head-Fi TV
Jun 14, 2016 at 7:41 PM Post #106 of 5,632

I personally experienced the speaker $ explosion and exited that hobby about 10 yrs ago.  It's just interesting to see HPs are doing the same thing all over again.

Though I don't share the same sentiment;  "Focal priced the bulk of their technical achievements in this line within reach of us mortals by offering the $1000 Elear. And for that, I say thank you."  = an interesting outlook for sure.  And for that, I say thank you. 
biggrin.gif

Haha.  Yes, $1000 is still a lot.  I'm a Focal fanboy ...  owned their speakers for over 20 years.  

As good as HPs are, they can't replace speakers for me.  A "cost loophole" to speakers emerged when computer audio became popular.  I'll skip the details here to not muddy-up this thread, but if you would like my opinion, please shoot me a pm.

Jun 14, 2016 at 7:45 PM Post #107 of 5,632

They're actually available now.  
smile.gif

To the best of my knowledge, there's only one dealer in the country that has them, and that's The Source AV in Torrance, CA.  Cavalli Audio - along with Astell&Kern, Kimber Kable and Audio-Head - are co-sponsoring a Focal listening event there this coming Saturday, June 18th, 2016 (as the third of eleven events in the Summer Series 2016):

http://www.head-fi.org/t/807600/cavalli-audio-presents-the-source-av-s-summer-series-2016#post_12567517​

If you're in the area, please consider dropping by for an audition, and to hang out with us!

I was talking with the Source AV  today and sales can't start until Saturday at the event.  The first shipping could start as early as Monday, next week.  

Jun 14, 2016 at 7:56 PM Post #110 of 5,632
So um.. Why are the cables so long?

Not everyone listens from a phone or from in front of a desk. :p   I'm sure shorter versions of the cable will be available, but I've had a 4 meter long one on the Focal Spirit Classic, and it felt good being able to walk around not worrying about yanking on my amplifier like I do with 1,2m or 2m cables.

Jun 14, 2016 at 7:59 PM Post #111 of 5,632

There are many of us who are very interested in a comparison of the LCD-4 and the Utopia.  I am one of those people.

I touched on it a bit in an earlier post in the thread and I know @Brian Hunter talked about it a bit in his review over at Audio-head.com.  I don't want to put words in his mouth so I'll let him talk about it.  But suffice it to say he owns and loves the LCD-4 and I believe he found the Utopia to be superior.

Are the drivers angled? What kind of materials do they use for the baffle? Plastic, aluminium?

Yep, they're definitely angled (as discussed in Jude's video and the review above).  @jude is probably the one to answer the question about the baffle as he's seen the innards.

So um.. Why are the cables so long?

Someone suggested to me that it has to do with Focal being a 2-channel company.  They expect that you'll want to sit in your easy chair across the listening room from your speakers and for that you'll need a long cable.  I don't know if that's the case but it's as good a theory as any right now.  lol

Jun 14, 2016 at 8:15 PM Post #112 of 5,632
  Someone suggested to me that it has to do with Focal being a 2-channel company.  They expect that you'll want to sit in your easy chair across the listening room from your speakers and for that you'll need a long cable.  I don't know if that's the case but it's as good a theory as any right now.  lol

Agreed, I guess it's one of those "better safe than sorry" situations. Impossible to please everyone, would I rather they include a 3 foot cable instead? For sure, though I understand most people buying these headphones (especially the Utopia) will be the kind you referenced in your post.

I also understand they would most definitely have to increase the retail price (of the Elear especially) if they were to include a short as well as a long cable. I'll just have to suck it up as usual and admit I'm in the minority then proceed to buy an after market cable that isn't 3 times the size that fits my space/personal needs.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 14, 2016 at 8:23 PM Post #113 of 5,632

I touched on it a bit in an earlier post in the thread and I know @Brian Hunter talked about it a bit in his review over at Audio-head.com.  I don't want to put words in his mouth so I'll let him talk about it.  But suffice it to say he owns and loves the LCD-4 and I believe he found the Utopia to be superior.

Yep, they're definitely angled (as discussed in Jude's video and the review above).  @jude is probably the one to answer the question about the baffle as he's seen the innards.

I heard the cable was extra long so in case someone rips them off your head and starts running away that you'd have more time to grab the cable and save the day. 

Just a theory... 
evil_smiley.gif

Jun 14, 2016 at 8:31 PM Post #114 of 5,632
  I heard the cable was extra long so in case someone rips them off your head and starts running away that you'd have more time to grab the cable and save the day. 

Just a theory... 
evil_smiley.gif

Note to self:  use stock cable when showing off headphone to Michael...

Jun 14, 2016 at 8:56 PM Post #116 of 5,632
  I can understand for the Listen but why do the Elear and Utopia use different connectors? Would think they want to employ the same for ease.

Same here, but luckily we have the connectors for both headphones. 

Not everyone listens from a phone or from in front of a desk. :p   I'm sure shorter versions of the cable will be available, but I've had a 4 meter long one on the Focal Spirit Classic, and it felt good being able to walk around not worrying about yanking on my amplifier like I do with 1,2m or 2m cables.

Already available with us:
http://www.plussoundaudio.com/customcables/headphone.html

PlusSound Stay updated on PlusSound at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/plusSound/ https://twitter.com/plussoundaudio http://plussoundaudio.com/
Jun 14, 2016 at 9:25 PM Post #117 of 5,632
  Well, honestly while these both look very interesting they are a fail for me. There is no need to design a headphone that weighs more than 400 grams with the materials and tech available for todays headphone designers. Both Ether headphones and both variations of the hd800 are under 400 grams and are all world class IMO. It doesn't really matter that "the weight is evenly balanced." The rules of gravity still apply regardless. I wear headphones for several hours at a pop when I'm working from home. I refuse to pay a grand much less 4k for a headphone that isn't still comfortable after an hour. IMO, ymmv

I hate to be a killjoy, but I have to agree with MattTCG on this point. I have my Audeze EL-8 Open up for sale but they are a kind of bench mark for me. I think they sound decent and are nicely styled with good materials. I also think they are comfortable, but not for long sessions, at least not often as the 460 gram weight is just over what I think my own personal max will be, which is around 420 grams. I thought the HEK was about the same, but they are heavier at around 480 grams have a softer footprint on my head, so materials and distribution can overcome things for the better I suppose. So that leaves the door open to at least give the Utopia an audition if I ever have the chance. That keeps the Ether E in the running, though the amp issues are a real pain in the arse.

Jun 14, 2016 at 9:47 PM Post #119 of 5,632

Hmm I know the feeling. On the other hand, I just managed to run over my cellphone charging cable with my desk chair... those long HP cables really keep me worried / not at ease all the time. I try to wind it around many objects to prevent it from lying on the floor next to my chair... thereby defeating the whole 3m concept...

Jun 14, 2016 at 9:48 PM Post #120 of 5,632
For thick necks like mine its all about the sound. I can rock a 800g headphone no sweat!! If it sounds great... BRING IT!!!!!

I fix computers for a living, I own a pocket protector and all my pants are an inch to short. Therefor 400 grams is my limit. 

That being said, I do want to hear the $999 offering. Will it be better than the Dharma, hd800/S...or just another fotm? These questions must be answered. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back