Focal Elear and Utopia Review / Preview With Measurements - Head-Fi TV
Jun 14, 2016 at 6:16 PM Post #91 of 5,632
WHEN WILL THEY BE AVAILABLE?

They're actually available now.  
smile.gif

To the best of my knowledge, there's only one dealer in the country that has them, and that's The Source AV in Torrance, CA.  Cavalli Audio - along with Astell&Kern, Kimber Kable and Audio-Head - are co-sponsoring a Focal listening event there this coming Saturday, June 18th, 2016 (as the third of eleven events in the Summer Series 2016):

http://www.head-fi.org/t/807600/cavalli-audio-presents-the-source-av-s-summer-series-2016#post_12567517​

If you're in the area, please consider dropping by for an audition, and to hang out with us!

Jun 14, 2016 at 6:20 PM Post #92 of 5,632
They're actually available now.  :smile:

To the best of my knowledge, there's only one dealer in the country that has them, and that's The Source AV in Torrance, CA.  Cavalli Audio - along with Astell&Kern, Kimber Kable and Audio-Head - are co-sponsoring a Focal listening event there this coming Saturday, June 18th, 2016 (as the third of eleven events in the Summer Series 2016):

http://www.head-fi.org/t/807600/cavalli-audio-presents-the-source-av-s-summer-series-2016#post_12567517​

If you're in the area, please consider dropping by for an audition, and to hang out with us!

Should be a Grand Utopia good time! :normal_smile :

Jun 14, 2016 at 6:21 PM Post #93 of 5,632
Quick question. Are the pads replaceable? Can I put the Utopias leather ear pads on the elear? Will they be offered as a separate item for sale?

Yes, the pads are replaceable on both.  I gave them a little tug and they were pretty unmoving so I chickened out and let it go... I needed the headphone to be in top condition for the reviews.  But my understanding is that it uses the same sort of ball-and-socket connector as a PM-2.  I assume they're interchangeable as the cups and pads are the same size but I can't say for sure.

I was told, and Jude also mentioned, that they put a lot of care into choosing the pads along with the cup material and size etc to get a perfectly treated "listening room" for the drivers in the headphone.  I strongly suspect that swapping pads off the Utopia will result in a decrease in performance.  But we'll never know until we try, I suppose!  lol

Jun 14, 2016 at 6:22 PM Post #94 of 5,632
  Is there a link to technical specs of the $4000 headphone?  And a quick question that might be buried somewhere I haven't yet found ...  what is their impedance and sensitivity?

Hope this helps. 
beerchug.gif

Jun 14, 2016 at 6:24 PM Post #96 of 5,632

450 and 490 grams for Elear and Uptopia respectively. I'd be happy to listen to them, review them...but I'd never buy them. 

Never say never.  I'd be surprised if you weren't at least sorely tempted by the Utopia after listening to and reviewing them.  
biggrin.gif

Jun 14, 2016 at 6:30 PM Post #97 of 5,632
This looked pretty amazing. I'm interested with the Elear as that is the headphone I can afford and looked every bit as competitive as the others in this price point, and is possibly one of the easiest headphone to drive compared to the competition in the same price range. The warmer signature is possibly better suit me too.

Jun 14, 2016 at 6:37 PM Post #98 of 5,632
Wow.  Is it just me or the $ for flagship HPs just keeps going up and up?  I guess as long as ppl are buying, that's how it's going to be.  Regardless, I'd like audition these.  Getting a decisive "better than HD800/s" statement from Jude is impressive nevertheless.

Jun 14, 2016 at 7:01 PM Post #99 of 5,632
Wow.  Is it just me or the $ for flagship HPs just keeps going up and up?  I guess as long as ppl are buying, that's how it's going to be.  Regardless, I'd like audition these.  Getting a decisive "better than HD800/s" statement from Jude is impressive nevertheless.

Flagships in other industries are more about exclusivity than technical achievement. The fashion, watch, and car worlds come to mind.

Speakers had this price explosion about 15 yrs ago and now the HPs are following. Fortunately for us, Focal priced the bulk of their technical achievements in this line within reach of us mortals by offering the $1000 Elear. And for that, I say thank you.

Jun 14, 2016 at 7:15 PM Post #100 of 5,632
Sorry, but who cares what the technology used it? If they sound good to you and you think they are worth 4K, then they are worth 4K. Just because they are dynamic doesn't mean they are any less good than planer or electrostats. If those two technologies were universally considered superior, all high end speakers and headphones would use them. There are pros and cons for every technology, and there also personal preference comes into play. I happen to prefer the sound of AMTs, but the only ATM headphone wasn't worth the money to me, because I think the ones I have sound better to me (planer, dynamic, and electrostatic).

Clearly the Utopia is not four times better than the Elear, but it is different, and that difference might be better for some people. Is is three time better than the Ether? Is the Utopia as good as the LCD-4 or 25% better than the HE-1000? Only the listener can determine that based on sound and comfort, not based on technology used. 

Some pretty well respected folks here are saying these new headphones are legit, which means if you re in the market for a summit-fi headphone, these are probably worth a listen. 

Well said.

Brands like Vivid audio and magico come to mind...

Planers always sound soft to me.

Jun 14, 2016 at 7:17 PM Post #101 of 5,632

We all hear differently and waiting for a consensus to form is never a bad idea in this hobby.  There is a press event on Friday and an open event on Saturday.  In a few days you'll have a lot more opinions.  I'm not sure you'll find any of them trustworthy either, though, if you don't trust professional reviewers and people like Warren who have heard every headphone out there.

There are many of us who are very interested in a comparison of the LCD-4 and the Utopia.  I am one of those people.

Jun 14, 2016 at 7:24 PM Post #102 of 5,632
Flagships in other industries are more about exclusivity than technical achievement. The fashion, watch, and car worlds come to mind.

Speakers had this price explosion about 15 yrs ago and now the HPs are following. Fortunately for us, Focal priced the bulk of their technical achievements in this line within reach of us mortals by offering the $1000 Elear. And for that, I say thank you.

I personally experienced the speaker $ explosion and exited that hobby about 10 yrs ago.  It's just interesting to see HPs are doing the same thing all over again.

Though I don't share the same sentiment;  "Focal priced the bulk of their technical achievements in this line within reach of us mortals by offering the $1000 Elear. And for that, I say thank you."  = an interesting outlook for sure.  And for that, I say thank you. 
biggrin.gif

Jun 14, 2016 at 7:35 PM Post #103 of 5,632
Are the drivers angled? What kind of materials do they use for the baffle? Plastic, aluminium?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back