Focal Elear and Utopia Review / Preview With Measurements - Head-Fi TV
Feb 6, 2017 at 6:47 AM Post #4,321 of 5,632
I will use the Elear's pads ON the Utopia. 

Lol, I see. Well, remember what I posted from Utopia vs Z1R in the lower trebles and harshness ? From my experiences, the leather pads on Utopia is vented for this reason, to vent out the short frequency (trebles). If you use velour Elear pads on the Utopia, you may get more lower trebles, but probably bring some harshness and more bass due to better seal ? Depends on the cloth of the Pads to reflect upon which frequency get absorbed.

Here is a detailed post and comparison from Jude. Here it seems 2-3Khz got boosted while 4-5 KHz got absorbed. It breaks that beautiful balances the Utopia had been masterfully tuned to achieve :)

http://www.head-fi.org/t/811270/focal-elear-and-utopia-review-preview-with-measurements-head-fi-tv/1695#post_12781221

Feb 6, 2017 at 6:53 AM Post #4,322 of 5,632
Just to clarify something @Whitigir, AMOLED's are not over saturated. That is a misnomer perpetuated in the early Apple vs Samsung days, that has not been relevant for some years now. AMOLED's today in some of the newer Samsung devices, set to one of the more accurate display presets with devices like the S6, S7, S7 Edge, Note 6 etc, not only have perfect blacks and considerably superior contrast compared to the best LCD/LED counterparts out there, but they also have better colour accuracy and dynamic range too.

Quote=DisplayMate:
The Galaxy S7 matches or breaks new records in Smartphone display performance for:
Highest Absolute Color Accuracy (1.5 JNCD), Highest Peak Brightness (855 nits), Highest Contrast Rating in Ambient Light (186), Highest Screen Resolution (2560x1440), Highest (infinite) Contrast Ratio, and Smallest Brightness Variation with Viewing Angle (28 percent). In addition, almost every display lab test and measurement shows some improvements compared to the Galaxy S6

Quote=DisplayMate:
The Color Gamut of the Basic screen mode is very accurate, with a nearly perfect 101 percent of the Standard sRGB / Rec.709 Color Gamut. Even better, the measured Absolute Color Accuracy for the Galaxy S7 Basic screen mode is an impressive 1.5 JNCD, tied with the Galaxy Note 5 and Galaxy S6 for the most color accurate displays that we have ever measured for a smartphone or tablet, which is visually indistinguishable from perfect, and is very likely considerably better than your living room TV.

Use the Basic screen mode for the best color and image accuracy. 

Quote=DisplayMate:
The measured Absolute Color Error for the Galaxy S6 Basic Screen Mode is just 1.6 JNCD, tied with the Galaxy Note 4 as the most color accurate display that we have ever measured for a Smartphone or Tablet, which is visually indistinguishable from perfect, and is very likely considerably better than your living room TV or any display that you own. Color Accuracy is especially important when viewing photos from family and friends (because you often know exactly what they actually should look like), for some TV shows, movies, and sporting events with image content and colors that you are familiar with, and also for viewing online merchandise, so you have a very good idea of exactly what colors you are buying and are less likely to return them. Select the Basic Screen Mode using Display Settings – it is not the default screen mode for the Galaxy S6.

http://www.displaymate.com/Galaxy_S7_ShootOut_1.htm

http://www.displaymate.com/Galaxy_S6_ShootOut_1.htm#Comparison

In terms of white balance, another integral facet of display accuracy, again, AMOLED's come out on top. In terms of recorded white balance, Displaymate pits the S6 at 6450K and S7 at 6480K, whilst the iPhone 6's registered 7241K and the iPhone 7 registers 6806K. 6500K is ideal.

I actually use a Macbook Pro Retina as my main portable workstation, and also have AMOLED tablet and mobile devices, as well as numerous plasma's including the Panasonic VT65 and 10G Pioneer Kuro (I'll buy a new OLED TV once they get the input response to a better gaming ideal). All my devices and displays are professionally calibrated, either by ISF engineers or Spyders, and I can assure you, the Retina display is far from being the most colour accurate.

-----

Regarding your Z1R vs Utopia comparison, it's certainly interesting, because I can't say that've I've ever expeirenced any harshness or sibilance with the Z1R's except in tracks which genuinely have it in the recording. In fact, it's the smoothest sounding headphone I have in my arsenal, and similarly non-fatiguing as listening to say the LCD-2's despite the added sense clarity and detailing. When A/B'd directly to headphones like the HD800, HD800S etc, to me they sound a lot smoother and less peaky or attacking. 

Feb 6, 2017 at 6:57 AM Post #4,323 of 5,632
Just to clarify something @Whitigir

[COLOR=222222]Regarding your Z1R vs Utopia comparison, it's certainly interesting, because I can't say that've I've ever expeirenced any harshness or sibilance with the Z1R's except in tracks which genuinely have it in the recording. In fact, it's the smoothest sounding headphone I have in my arsenal, and similarly non-fatiguing as listening to say the LCD-2's despite the added sense clarity and detailing. When A/B'd directly to headphones like the HD800, HD800S etc, to me they sound a lot smoother and less peaky or attacking. [/COLOR]

S-Amoled is another can of worm :wink:, I only used that simple comparison for a better images.

Now, the Z1R, trust me, it is very smooth and that was how I perceived it when I never listened to Utopia. I specifically called out many times that Z1R is only harsh and sibilant when put up against Utopia. only against Utopia

Feb 6, 2017 at 7:07 AM Post #4,324 of 5,632
S-Amoled is another can of worm
wink.gif
, I only used that simple comparison for a better images.

Now, the Z1R, trust me, it is very smooth and that was how I perceived it when I never listened to Utopia. I specifically called out many times that Z1R is only harsh and sibilant when put up against Utopia. only against Utopia

Fair enough. I just find that rather surprising, as the Utopia is considerably more boosted in the treble regions (which tend to have more piercing properties) compared to the Z1R. Out of curiosity, did you db test to volume match when you did your comparison? There is always a chance that the Utopia sounded smoother simply because it was being played at a lower volume, or inversely, that the Z1R was being played at a higher volume. The Z1R's are a little easier to power than the Utopia, so if played out of the same amp without relevant adjustment of volume, you would get a distinctly different presentation.

Feb 6, 2017 at 7:18 AM Post #4,325 of 5,632
Fair enough. I just find that rather surprising, as the Utopia is considerably more boosted in the treble regions compared to the Z1R. Out of curiosity, did you db test volume match when you did your comparison? There is always a chance that the Utopia sounded smoother simply because it was being played at a lower volume, or inversely, that the Z1R was being played at a higher volume. The Z1R's are a little easier to power than the Utopia, so if played out of the same amp without relevant adjustment of volume, you would get a distinctly different presentation.

I agree about the volume matching. I don't do volume match. However I do varies it from quieter to louder to observe. Utopia is not trebles boosted against Z1R to my ears, and experiences, even the graph I linked only has 6-8k more than Z1R, but then it got toned down again in comparison. Looking through the whole graph, you will notice that the balances of the whole signature is more flat in comparison to Z1R, and that helps the Utopia to achieve more details without boosting trebles the way you or me would think that it does.

Honestly, when I got Utopia, I expected brightness similar to Th900 or SA5000. But no, it was so different, it is so balanced, so detailed, so smooth, and while Z1R was already smoother than both 900 and 5000, the Utopia is even more smooth. So smooth that I had to agree with the one who said "make chicken soup out of chicken poop" in bad records ....LoL

Hence I called out to Utopia that this balancing, neutrality, Dynamic body, details and smoothness is masterfully tuned. It is an art, and no longer a "tuning". That is why I have to agree with Tyll statement "Utopia is the best headphones yet"....I never liked the $3,999 pricing to begin with. Hell, it is even more expensive than a well built gaming computer ...lol

Feb 6, 2017 at 8:46 AM Post #4,326 of 5,632
Perhaps one day I will have the crazy amount of money required to get a Utopia, but until then, the Z1R is exactly what I wanted it to be, and I very much enjoy the well thought out coloration. I can also enjoy a neutral signature, but less so. I haven't encountered any harshness yet with vocals, but all headphone designs will deviate from ideal and certain recordings will just reveal this.

Feb 6, 2017 at 8:51 AM Post #4,327 of 5,632

have you tried metal music on both? which is more enjoyable on this genre?

I lose interest on the utopia since a lot of people are saying that it is a bright headphone, usually bright headphone doesn't play nice with metal music, but you were saying that it is smoother than the Z1R.

I want a can that sounds extremely good with metal but without it being fatiguing, coloration is ok as long as it adds to the enjoyment.

thx mate.

Feb 6, 2017 at 9:06 AM Post #4,328 of 5,632
  have you tried metal music on both? which is more enjoyable on this genre?

I lose interest on the utopia since a lot of people are saying that it is a bright headphone, usually bright headphone doesn't play nice with metal music, but you were saying that it is smoother than the Z1R.

I want a can that sounds extremely good with metal but without it being fatiguing, coloration is ok as long as it adds to the enjoyment.

thx mate.

I know nothing about the Z1R (still waiting for them to arrive).
If it is true that the Utopia is smother compared to the Z1R, I do recommend that you give the LCD4 a try. 

Feb 6, 2017 at 9:22 AM Post #4,329 of 5,632

I know nothing about the Z1R (still waiting for them to arrive).
If it is true that the Utopia is smother compared to the Z1R, I do recommend that you give the LCD4 a try. 

will try the LCD4, but I don't think I will buy it. very heavy.
actually, I have never seen The Utopia being talked about as the ultimate headphone for metal music. so some view on this will be interesting.

Feb 6, 2017 at 9:33 AM Post #4,330 of 5,632
I will use the Elear's pads ON the Utopia. 
A lot of folks like the Elear pads on the Utopia. When I first wrote the Utopia and Elear review back in Nov '16 I preferred stock pads on the Utopia but I can see where the added warmth by the Elear pads offer a an alternative sound to the Utopia & am more recently considering if buying the Elear pads for my Utopia.

I've also started owning the Z1R more recently in addition to my 2 mth old Utopia and this past weekend further did comparisons of the Elear to the Z1R. I would have to slightly disagree with Whitigir that only the Utopia is smoother than the Z1R as to me the Elear is smoother too.

I found the Z1R tended to a somewhat warmer and slightly darker sound but with a bit of a treble spike whereas the Elear was just a more general warm but smooth, I wouldn't call the treble spike on the Z1R offensive however noticeable nevertheless (and as such would still keep the Z1R as I need a closed pair of headphones anyway).

Feb 6, 2017 at 9:38 AM Post #4,331 of 5,632
I don't doubt your experience and assessment.
Just describing the Elears I auditioned. I believe others have had this same issue. The uncontrolled driver excursion is visible. And you definitely do not want it next to your ear when it happens.

I had the same issue at Canjam and the loaner pair i had. I think it's a design flaw. They are suppose to have almost zero distortion. But passed certain wattage into the drivers the excursion causes them to bottom out. The engineer at Focal told me himself at the show Saturday. I never got this with the Utopia. But on the Woo audio amp the Utopia didn't sound that good to me. 

Feb 6, 2017 at 10:47 AM Post #4,332 of 5,632
I had the same issue at Canjam and the loaner pair i had. I think it's a design flaw. They are suppose to have almost zero distortion. But passed certain wattage into the drivers the excursion causes them to bottom out. The engineer at Focal told me himself at the show Saturday. I never got this with the Utopia. But on the Woo audio amp the Utopia didn't sound that good to me. 
excursion bottoms out....dont understand what you mean by that...elaborate further if you may please.....

Feb 6, 2017 at 11:01 AM Post #4,333 of 5,632
The driver is attached to a flexible surround at the drivers edges so it can move forward and backwards in response to the electrical signal and produce sound waves. The surround has a limit to how far forwards or backwards it can move the driver, at the physical end of the surrounds range in either direction it like hitting a brick wall for the driver.

Feb 6, 2017 at 11:35 AM Post #4,334 of 5,632
excursion bottoms out....dont understand what you mean by that...elaborate further if you may please.....

The movement of the driver makes a clicking noise. It hits things inside the speaker because it's played loud. I can't buy these headphones because they can't be played at the volume i play headphones at. The drives move up and down like a piston in a car. And with more power they hit the surround. If you ever get them to this stage you will immediately notice it and stop playing the headphones. I'm sorry if i'm not explaining it any better then i already am. 

Feb 6, 2017 at 11:36 AM Post #4,335 of 5,632
  The driver is attached to a flexible surround at the drivers edges so it can move forward and backwards in response to the electrical signal and produce sound waves. The surround has a limit to how far forwards or backwards it can move the driver, at the physical end of the surrounds range in either direction it like hitting a brick wall for the driver.

Thank you. That's what i was trying to say. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back