Focal Elear and Utopia Review / Preview With Measurements - Head-Fi TV
Aug 19, 2016 at 2:03 PM Post #2,086 of 5,632
Thinking of canceling my Ether flow's and pre ordering these.  I always prefer a more dynamic sound as I listen to mostly rock/metal.  Although I do enjoy an expansive sound stage,  Could anyone direct me to a black market organ buyer.  I can spare a kidney
eek.gif

Aug 19, 2016 at 2:34 PM Post #2,087 of 5,632
  Thinking of canceling my Ether flow's and pre ordering these.  I always prefer a more dynamic sound as I listen to mostly rock/metal.  Although I do enjoy an expansive sound stage,  Could anyone direct me to a black market organ buyer.  I can spare a kidney
eek.gif

While I haven't yet heard the Flows (I do have the regular Ether), everything I read says you'll probably enjoy the Elears more if you listen to rock/metal. That's a good amount of the music that I listen to and the Elears just kill it. Plus, they're almost half the price!

Aug 19, 2016 at 2:43 PM Post #2,088 of 5,632
Really interested for more reviews to start popping up, especially regarding the Elears.  They are definitely on my radar.

Since some are calling them 'super HD 650', if you already have the HD 650 and plan on getting the Elears, is there any point in hanging on to them?  That's the comparison that I'm really interested in.

If the Elears give you everything that the HD 650 does, but better, that clears up a headphone + a dedicated OTL amp (Bottlehead Crack in my case).

Aug 19, 2016 at 3:26 PM Post #2,089 of 5,632
  While I haven't yet heard the Flows (I do have the regular Ether), everything I read says you'll probably enjoy the Elears more if you listen to rock/metal. That's a good amount of the music that I listen to and the Elears just kill it. Plus, they're almost half the price!

wow 

I was thinking of the Utopia's.  Interesting ...maybe I'll be able to retain all my organs
wink_face.gif

Aug 19, 2016 at 4:49 PM Post #2,090 of 5,632
East Coasters!

A new player on the east coast is getting demo units of the Utopia & Elear today. For those of you in the Philly area you can now contact Northern Audio/Music to My Ears for an audition and purchase.

3003 Babcock Blvd Pgh Pa 15237.
412-931-5850

In the Boston Area Natural Sound will have theirs on Today as well!

401 Worcester Rd. Framingham MA 01701
508-879-3556

Awesome I'll have to make a trip this weekend to Framingham.

Aug 19, 2016 at 5:57 PM Post #2,091 of 5,632
Just got my headphones. My goodness, imaging is insane. Everything about the sound is very good but the imaging and soundstage really push these headphones to another level. Bass is impactful, not as powerful as Audezes, treble and mids I prefer on my Hifiman HE560s, but I am extremely happy with the purchase I made.

Aug 19, 2016 at 6:42 PM Post #2,093 of 5,632
So tired of waiting for the Elear to materialize. I'm about ready to give up and ask for a refund.

Aug 19, 2016 at 6:47 PM Post #2,094 of 5,632
Just got signed up for a Utopia loaner program from TTVJ. Really looking forward to hearing these and posting some impressions against some of my other TOTL cans (Audeze LCD-3F, HE1000, Ether C, TH900).!

Aug 19, 2016 at 7:11 PM Post #2,096 of 5,632
wow 

I was thinking of the Utopia's.  Interesting ...maybe I'll be able to retain all my organs :wink_face:   

I prefer both the Utopia and Ether Flow over the Elear for rock and metal. Depends on your tastes though, obviously. For Metal, I tend to prefer the really elaborate, progressive stuff (Necrophagist, Spawn of Posession, Psycroptic, Nevermore, BTBAM, Protest the Hero, etc). All that stuff really benefits from a speedy attack and decay, solid impact, a neutral tonal balance, and gobs of clarity. For that, I would take the Utopia or Ether Flow (along with the HE-6 or the Abyss). But different metal genres have different requirements - old thrash can be kinda thin and black metal can be kinda bright, so both benefit from a slightly darker headphone like the Elear. Some of the sludge, stoner and doom stuff just sounds better with a chunky presentation and could be good with the Elear as well - though I think the pre-fazor LCD-2.2 is still the best for that stuff (like The Sword, Mastadon, etc).

Aug 19, 2016 at 7:21 PM Post #2,097 of 5,632
I prefer both the Utopia and Ether Flow over the Elear for rock and metal. Depends on your tastes though, obviously. For Metal, I tend to prefer the really elaborate, progressive stuff (Necrophagist, Spawn of Posession, Psycroptic, Nevermore, BTBAM, Protest the Hero, etc). All that stuff really benefits from a speedy attack and decay, solid impact, a neutral tonal balance, and gobs of clarity. For that, I would take the Utopia or Ether Flow (along with the HE-6 or the Abyss). But different metal genres have different requirements - old thrash can be kinda thin and black metal can be kinda bright, so both benefit from a slightly darker headphone like the Elear. Some of the sludge, stoner and doom stuff just sounds better with a chunky presentation and could be good with the Elear as well - though I think the pre-fazor LCD-2.2 is still the best for that stuff (like The Sword, Mastadon, etc).

Very true. I should have specified that I've mostly listened to classic rock and older metal on the Elears. Even the newer metal I've listened to has been funny enough, Mastodon and stoner/doom bands.

Aug 19, 2016 at 9:31 PM Post #2,099 of 5,632

Users who are viewing this thread

Back