Focal Elear and Utopia Review / Preview With Measurements - Head-Fi TV
Aug 18, 2016 at 10:52 PM Post #2,072 of 5,632
I currently have my Elears plugged straight into a Galaxy S7 (with Grado adaptor), works fine. Have two more clicks available in hardware volume with UAPP software volume set to 50%. Still, looking forward to using the Dragonfly Red when it comes in next week.

Aug 18, 2016 at 11:07 PM Post #2,073 of 5,632
  I currently have my Elears plugged straight into a Galaxy S7 (with Grado adaptor), works fine. Have two more clicks available in hardware volume with UAPP software volume set to 50%. Still, looking forward to using the Dragonfly Red when it comes in next week.

Does it simply work fine, or does it actually sound good as in $1000 headphone good?

Aug 19, 2016 at 12:20 AM Post #2,074 of 5,632
Well this could sure be debated. IMO The decay is un-naturally fast on planers/stats. Maybe because the Mylar is stretched so tight it damps the lower rez decay (just making stuff up here...)

I always feel dynamic drivers have more impact and decay. Impact across the whole range. Listen to snare drums on dynamics and planers and decide what sounds more like the real thing.

I agree this 100%, though I will always love the HE-6.

Aug 19, 2016 at 2:44 AM Post #2,076 of 5,632
I agree this 100%, though I will always love the HE-6.

Glad that's still working out for ya! If you get a good one and amp it right, the HE-6 is simply stunning.

Aug 19, 2016 at 3:11 AM Post #2,078 of 5,632
I simply can't contain the excitement, especially considering I initially thought it would be Dec/Jan before I could grab a pair in Canada! Here are my very first unpacking thoughts about the Focal Utopia headphone within 10 minutes of receiving them (100% new toy syndrome included)..

I now have the first Utopia sold in Canada and let me tell you guys, the build quality is amazing. If I were to guess I'd say that 90% of the weight comes from the drivers themselves (complete guess here, but that's how it seems). Focal has done an amazing job with the fit and finish and the materials are perfectly chosen in my opinion. Beautiful, especially in person.

The Utopia comes in a well padded shipping box and I have no concerns about
product damage from shipping.

The presentation box is solid and the headphones are very secure inside.
There's a small flapped area for the mile long cable that won't bang on the
headphones during shipping.

Between the headphones themselves is a small package of reading material
that includes the instructions, warranty info, Focal marketing pamphlet, and
information about the use of Beryllium in the driver (please, let's not endlessly
debate the safety of these headphones).

The headphones!! Did I mention they are gorgeous in person? They feel solidly built
and the creaks reported from Tyll are very minor, and only really heard if wiggling
the cups back and forth. Who does that, lol! I don't hear any creaking at all when on
the head, or when handling normally. I have to listen very closely to hear it. Everything
is just solid! IMO, they stand up to their price point very well with regard to build quality.

One of the main reasons I purchase from Headphone Bar! Thanks Travis!!

On the head they feel very comfortable. They aren't ETHER C light, and I do think the headphone would slide on my head a little if I were to tie my shoes with them on, but I could easily see using them for long sessions. Time will tell though.

More impressions to come after I've actually listened to them...
biggrin.gif

beerchug.gif

Apologies for the cel phone pics. SLR shots forthcoming.

Waiting for your impressions Relic! Happy listening my man!
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 19, 2016 at 6:45 AM Post #2,079 of 5,632

One of the main reasons I purchase from Headphone Bar! Thanks Travis!!

On the head they feel very comfortable. They aren't ETHER C light, and I do think the headphone would slide on my head a little if I were to tie my shoes with them on, but I could easily see using them for long sessions. Time will tell though.

More impressions to come after I've actually listened to them...
biggrin.gif

beerchug.gif

Apologies for the cel phone pics. SLR shots forthcoming.

Congrats!!!

Did you by chance, ask your dealer about replacement ear pads?  With all the pad rolling talk, I was wondering if you're interested in trying the Elear pads also?

Aug 19, 2016 at 9:52 AM Post #2,080 of 5,632
Sorry to go OT...why some guys loved to quote a fairly long post only to make a simple one liner reply? There are a few who have done that already surely that can be edited down...it's frustrating reading these on a smartphone. Is it just me?

Aug 19, 2016 at 9:57 AM Post #2,081 of 5,632
Sorry to go OT...why some guys loved to quote a fairly long post only to make a simple one liner reply? There are a few who have done that already surely that can be edited down...it's frustrating reading these on a smartphone. Is it just me?

Very nice you are reading from a smartphone. Does it ever cross your mind others are writing from phones/tablets too and cutting and pasting isn't exactly made for such devices.

Aug 19, 2016 at 11:54 AM Post #2,082 of 5,632
Aug 19, 2016 at 12:21 PM Post #2,083 of 5,632
East Coasters!

A new player on the east coast is getting demo units of the Utopia & Elear today. For those of you in the Philly area you can now contact Northern Audio/Music to My Ears for an audition and purchase.

3003 Babcock Blvd Pgh Pa 15237.
412-931-5850

In the Boston Area Natural Sound will have theirs on Today as well!

401 Worcester Rd. Framingham MA 01701
508-879-3556

The Source AV TSAVJason Stay updated on The Source AV at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com./pages/The-Source-AV-Design-Group/153623164648713 http://www.twitter.com/TheSourceAV http://www.instagram.com/Thesourceavdesign http://thesourceav.com/ Products@TheSourceAV.com
Aug 19, 2016 at 1:30 PM Post #2,084 of 5,632
Rats! I'm north of Philly on the Delaware. 300 miles to either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back