Focal Elear and Utopia Review / Preview With Measurements - Head-Fi TV
Aug 19, 2016 at 9:40 PM Post #2,102 of 5,632
Aug 20, 2016 at 9:59 AM Post #2,108 of 5,632
Ordered the Elear's  yesterday and it shipped yesterday via Amazon with a 5% discount to prime members and a $70 additional discount for opening a Credit Card with them ( I order loads of stuff every month so I should have signed up for their CC sooner as they give 5% off everything ordered through them)

I'll have the Elears in 4 days
I'll have the Utopia in about 4-5 weeks as I am number 4 on Todd TVJ's loaner program 
I'll post impressions of them both shortly thereafter 

Than I'll probably put the elears up for sale assuming I like the utopias more.  
redface.gif

Aug 20, 2016 at 10:10 AM Post #2,109 of 5,632
Thinking of canceling my Ether flow's and pre ordering these.  I always prefer a more dynamic sound as I listen to mostly rock/metal.  Although I do enjoy an expansive sound stage,  Could anyone direct me to a black market organ buyer.  I can spare a kidney :eek:  

Yea the Elears would suit you way better for rock/metal. An alternative that's slightly cheaper is the Audeze el-8 open. Just demo'd it and its pretty good. Though from memory I prefer the Elear as their more comfortable. You don't have the room impedance problem because of its super open design

Aug 20, 2016 at 10:29 AM Post #2,110 of 5,632
  Ordered the Elear's  yesterday and it shipped yesterday via Amazon with a 5% discount to prime members and a $70 additional discount for opening a Credit Card with them ( I order loads of stuff every month so I should have signed up for their CC sooner as they give 5% off everything ordered through them)

I'll have the Utopia in about 4-5 weeks as I am number 4 on Todd TVJ's loaner program 

redface.gif

Are you sure? I don't even see them on Amazon at all when I search:

http://amzn.to/2b8dVOw

Aug 20, 2016 at 10:34 AM Post #2,111 of 5,632

redface.gif

Are you sure? I don't even see them on Amazon at all when I search:

http://amzn.to/2b8dVOw

I don't see them either.  Do you have a link where you ordered?

Aug 20, 2016 at 10:39 AM Post #2,112 of 5,632
Yea the Elears would suit you way better for rock/metal. An alternative that's slightly cheaper is the Audeze el-8 open. Just demo'd it and its pretty good. Though from memory I prefer the Elear as their more comfortable. You don't have the room impedance problem because of its super open design

I hope so

Many people have described the sound as Senn 650 like.  I owned these for a while but they did not have that sizzle in the treble that makes rock sound electrifying to me.  My tastes are different from most on this forum.  I owned the HD800 and sold within a week ( I think I was the first to put one up for sale on head-fi) and actually prefer the house Ultrasone sound and Grado sound for rock .  I have owned every iteration in those lines except for the Edition 5's because of its cable issue.  YMMV.       

Aug 20, 2016 at 10:48 AM Post #2,113 of 5,632
Enjoy, I have the chord Dave so I want to see which pairs better for a home headphone. And it's something I want to decide instead of reviews telling me, since many people love the LCD 3,4 so I bought one and dislike it.
Boy, I never heard, for that matter seen the Dave, but with that level of DAC I suspect you can squeeze everylast bit of SQ out of the Utopia. There are no local TOTL headphone dealers near me so everything I buy is based on others opinion. Once owned the Grado RS2e. Big mistake......

Aug 20, 2016 at 10:51 AM Post #2,114 of 5,632
I hope so

Many people have described the sound as Senn 650 like.  I owned these for a while but they did not have that sizzle in the treble that makes rock sound electrifying to me.  My tastes are different from most on this forum.  I owned the HD800 and sold within a week and actually preferred the house Ultrasone sound and Grado sound for rock .  I have owned every iteration in those lines except for the Edition 5's because of its cable issue.  YMMV     

Welcome to the club bro. Everyone here is more into classical, jazz or pop music so its hard to get a solid performance review for rock/metal. I tested Mr Speakers Ether 1.1 today as well and that was disappointing for rock/metal despite everyone saying the mid bass was good.

The LCD X was pretty good though and efficient but just too heavy on the head. For now my shoot out is the el-8 open VS Elear. Never gonna pass the 1000 usd threshold for headphones just because they become too impractical for portability. Price to performance doesn't make sense either but that's just my personal opinion.

I have the Ether C 1.1 and their great for sub bass, clarity, treble and gaming but a little too light in the bass department for me. Driving it is a pain as well for portability. However, whoever is interested in the Ether C 1.1 and it suits their flavour of music, do hit me up.

Aug 20, 2016 at 12:25 PM Post #2,115 of 5,632

redface.gif

Amazon has the Focal Elear?  Got a link?
Thanks

paul

Users who are viewing this thread

Back