Focal Elear and Utopia Review / Preview With Measurements - Head-Fi TV
Aug 18, 2016 at 2:36 PM Post #2,056 of 5,632
Perhaps some other things they have in common would be similar engineers, and similar philosophy, and at least, similar (same) company? Or if none of the previous pertain, I'd like to hear more details (am I alone in that?) I'm surprised people dismiss these aspects so quickly in consideration/discussion.

Hi @Arcamera, I understand where you're coming from. One would think that there has to be some ties between the Elear/Utopia and Focal's other headphones (the Spirit line and now the Listen) beyond the Focal name, but there's just not, in my opinion. I dig the Focal Listen and the Spirit line for what they are, but the Elear/Utopia simply stand quite apart from all of the other current Focal headphones.

Aug 18, 2016 at 2:37 PM Post #2,057 of 5,632
I simply can't contain the excitement, especially considering I initially thought it would be Dec/Jan before I could grab a pair in Canada! Here are my very first unpacking thoughts about the Focal Utopia headphone within 10 minutes of receiving them (100% new toy syndrome included)..

I now have the first Utopia sold in Canada and let me tell you guys, the build quality is amazing. If I were to guess I'd say that 90% of the weight comes from the drivers themselves (complete guess here, but that's how it seems). Focal has done an amazing job with the fit and finish and the materials are perfectly chosen in my opinion. Beautiful, especially in person.

The Utopia comes in a well padded shipping box and I have no concerns about
product damage from shipping.

The presentation box is solid and the headphones are very secure inside.
There's a small flapped area for the mile long cable that won't bang on the
headphones during shipping.

Between the headphones themselves is a small package of reading material
that includes the instructions, warranty info, Focal marketing pamphlet, and
information about the use of Beryllium in the driver (please, let's not endlessly
debate the safety of these headphones).

The headphones!! Did I mention they are gorgeous in person? They feel solidly built
and the creaks reported from Tyll are very minor, and only really heard if wiggling
the cups back and forth. Who does that, lol! I don't hear any creaking at all when on
the head, or when handling normally. I have to listen very closely to hear it. Everything
is just solid! IMO, they stand up to their price point very well with regard to build quality.

One of the main reasons I purchase from Headphone Bar! Thanks Travis!!

On the head they feel very comfortable. They aren't ETHER C light, and I do think the headphone would slide on my head a little if I were to tie my shoes with them on, but I could easily see using them for long sessions. Time will tell though.

More impressions to come after I've actually listened to them... :D

:beerchug:

Apologies for the cel phone pics. SLR shots forthcoming.

Aug 18, 2016 at 2:42 PM Post #2,058 of 5,632
IMO the only problem with dynamic headphones are their speed(timing) and everyone is specially avoiding that subject. I'm in fear. 
biggrin.gif

Aug 18, 2016 at 2:51 PM Post #2,059 of 5,632
  IMO the only problem with dynamic headphones are their speed(timing) and everyone is specially avoiding that subject. I'm in fear. 
biggrin.gif

In my short times spent with the Elears and what I've read about Focal's new driver technology, I think they're remarkably fast for dynamic headphones. 

Aug 18, 2016 at 2:52 PM Post #2,060 of 5,632

Thanks for your thoughts Jude. I'm glad to hear--will be getting 'em. But I was just trying to say something like this, to those that seem surprised one might bring up Focal's previous efforts: A venerable headphone company like Sennheiser releases the new Orpheus 2, and of course no one is asking, "yes, but how do they compare to their bottom-of-the-line Street Beat?" (or whatever they're called). The difference is that Focal has been in the headphone business only a comparatively short time--without a million previous models--and so of course people might ask how Focal has taken a quick quantum leap from their previous (three?) headphone offerings. Some of us were still just enjoying their more modest headphone gear (not talking about their speakers) before this whammy happened. All I'd like to see is more specific context discussion from their previous headphone(s). It seems more apropos in this situation. But thanks somebody for seeing what I'm trying to say, lol. :)

Aug 18, 2016 at 3:05 PM Post #2,061 of 5,632
I simply can't contain the excitement, especially considering I initially thought it would be Dec/Jan before I could grab a pair in Canada! Here are my very first unpacking thoughts about the Focal Utopia headphone within 10 minutes of receiving them (100% new toy syndrome included)..

I now have the first Utopia sold in Canada and let me tell you guys, the build quality is amazing. If I were to guess I'd say that 90% of the weight comes from the drivers themselves (complete guess here, but that's how it seems). Focal has done an amazing job with the fit and finish and the materials are perfectly chosen in my opinion. Beautiful, especially in person.

information about the use of Beryllium in the driver (please, let's not endlessly

The headphones!! Did I mention they are gorgeous in person? They feel solidly built
and the creaks reported from Tyll are very minor, and only really heard if wiggling
the cups back and forth. Who does that, lol! I don't hear any creaking at all when on
the head, or when handling normally. I have to listen very closely to hear it. Everything
is just solid! IMO, they stand up to their price point very well with regard to build quality.

On the head they feel very comfortable. They aren't ETHER C light, and I do think the headphone would slide on my head a little if I were to tie my shoes with them on, but I could easily see using them for long sessions. Time will tell though.

More impressions to come after I've actually listened to them... :D

:beerchug:

Aug 18, 2016 at 4:27 PM Post #2,063 of 5,632
IMO the only problem with dynamic headphones are their speed(timing) and everyone is specially avoiding that subject. I'm in fear. :D

Well this could sure be debated. IMO The decay is un-naturally fast on planers/stats. Maybe because the Mylar is stretched so tight it damps the lower rez decay (just making stuff up here...)

I always feel dynamic drivers have more impact and decay. Impact across the whole range. Listen to snare drums on dynamics and planers and decide what sounds more like the real thing.

Aug 18, 2016 at 4:46 PM Post #2,064 of 5,632
Congratulations @x RELIC x,

Thanks for the unboxing.  Now we know what to expect.  Except for that excellent stand.  Lovely gesture from your Canadian dealer.

Have you ever tried the Abyss, I have yet to hear from a Utopia owner/user who has compared the two.
Enjoy your new Focal Utopia.

Paul

Aug 18, 2016 at 4:50 PM Post #2,065 of 5,632
  Congratulations @x RELIC x,

Thanks for the unboxing.  Now we know what to expect.  Except for that excellent stand.  Lovely gesture from your Canadian dealer.

Have you ever tried the Abyss, I have yet to hear from a Utopia owner/user who has compared the two.
Enjoy your new Focal Utopia.

Paul

http://www.head-fi.org/t/811270/focal-elear-and-utopia-launch-with-impressions-head-fi-tv/1935#post_12790208

Aug 18, 2016 at 4:56 PM Post #2,066 of 5,632
Well this could sure be debated. IMO The decay is un-naturally fast on planers/stats. Maybe because the Mylar is stretched so tight it damps the lower rez decay (just making stuff up here...)

I always feel dynamic drivers have more impact and decay. Impact across the whole range. Listen to snare drums on dynamics and planers and decide what sounds more like the real thing.

That's why I like having a couple pairs of HP's of different transducer types. I'm auditioning the HE1000 right now. Very nice top to bottom balance and I prefer these to my PM-1's which are much richer/darker in sound. To my old ears the HD800 (compared to the HE1000) has more sparkle and air, better transparency, is subjectively faster on transients with a proper amount of decay, but is more sibilant than the HE1000. My poorer recordings sound less irritating on the HE1000. I've got recordings with specific bad spots I use to compare phones with all the time. The HE1000 is the best planar I've heard yet. The 800's purity and speed give it an electrostatic like quality that brings a greater sense of reality, heaven at times, hell at others.

I evaluate primarily with classical music and especially full blown late romantic symphonies. Any HP that can handle that to my satisfaction can handle any other period of classical music just fine.

I'm going to spend a full week with the HE1000 and then on to my 2 finalists, HD800S and (by hook or by crook) Utopia!

Aug 18, 2016 at 6:06 PM Post #2,067 of 5,632

More impressions to come after I've actually listened to them...
biggrin.gif

beerchug.gif

Love the Headphone Bar, and Travis is such a great guy. Congrats on your new headphones! They look amazing, in my opinion. 

Aug 18, 2016 at 6:41 PM Post #2,068 of 5,632
I've got recordings with specific bad spots I use to compare phones with all the time. The HE1000 is the best planar I've heard yet. The 800's purity and speed give it an electrostatic like quality that brings a greater sense of reality, heaven at times, hell at times

Novel idea. I always go to my best stuff

Anyone try junk recordings on the utopia yet? How does it handle them?

Aug 18, 2016 at 9:47 PM Post #2,070 of 5,632

More impressions to come after I've actually listened to them...
biggrin.gif

beerchug.gif

Congrats, very jealous! I hope you plan on doing some comparison impressions with the Ether Flow (assuming you get your hands on those as well).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back