Focal Elear and Utopia Review / Preview With Measurements - Head-Fi TV
Aug 17, 2016 at 3:34 AM Post #2,026 of 5,632
anemic was the right word used. As a headphone all by itself, it is inherently bass light. The same amp it shines on will most likely make any other bass light high impedance headphone warm. You'd be hard pressed to find a non-grado over 1k with less bass. But what is there is great and worth trying to bring out. 

The Utopia will be less picky, is easier to drive, and is naturally responsive to what the recording has. But its resolution and details really shine on a good amp with lots of detail. 

The way you describe the sonic characteristics of the Utopia, makes me want to save up for these headphones. Perhaps sell my liquid Crimson, to help pay for these marvelous headphones. But for now lol, I will just read the impressions and dream a little dream.

Aug 17, 2016 at 4:52 AM Post #2,027 of 5,632
  ...Seriously some people here have more dollars than sense.

I don't know how to put it any clearer than I did in my post. I knew responses would come from people who don't read a post before replying (which is why I clearly stated that music would obviously be the main purpose for the headphones... but how would they perform with games since I do play games a decent amount?). It would just be a bonus point if they did perform well with games because I could use them for that purpose too and they would get even more head time.

I don't know why this thread is crawling with salty people who have nothing but negative things to say.

Aug 17, 2016 at 5:07 AM Post #2,028 of 5,632
How Utopia performs with games depends on what you are looking for. Directional audio to hear footsteps, or soundstage? or bass for full explosions without bottoming out etc.. For gaming I think HD800 is best. But I don't think you would have any problems with Utopia. If everything is balanced and neutral like people have been saying, it would sound good with games too.

Aug 17, 2016 at 5:39 AM Post #2,029 of 5,632

I don't know how to put it any clearer than I did in my post. I knew responses would come from people who don't read a post before replying (which is why I clearly stated that music would obviously be the main purpose for the headphones... but how would they perform with games since I do play games a decent amount?). It would just be a bonus point if they did perform well with games because I could use them for that purpose too and they would get even more head time.

I don't know why this thread is crawling with salty people who have nothing but negative things to say.

As you obviously have the HD800 and probably use ist for gaming, you know the answer yourself already. Yes superb headphones are superb for gaming. I myself game with my HD650 running off a Xonar STX coupled with a Meier Audio Jazz FF. I found the HD650 the most comfortable headphone for long gaming session so far, better than the HD800. If the Utopia is comfy enough, it should be a great choice for gaming, if you have it anyways......

Aug 17, 2016 at 1:14 PM Post #2,032 of 5,632

I think to know how the Utopia will really perform won't be known for a while. It takes time, in my experience with almost all the headphones I own, to have the soundstage really open up and to know where the headphones will end up. There aren't enough Utopia's out there with time on them to have an competent answer at this time, IMO, unless someone somehow has something that was a basically finished product and has many hour on it as in a one of a kind finished prototype. 

Aug 17, 2016 at 2:27 PM Post #2,033 of 5,632
  I'm curious how the Utopia would do with gaming. Obviously they are meant for music and that will be the main use but I do game quite a bit so the more head time the Utopia would get every day, the more I could justify the huge price tag. I am not spending a ton of money on something to have it simply sit on the sidelines all the time.

From what I understand, the soundstage is more closed in than most high-end cans on the market right now which I suppose would be a negative from a gaming perspective. However, from impressions it seems the Utopia brings forth a super level of detail and nuances in everything it plays, which would be a positive thing. Anyone who has heard the Utopia and has experience with gaming on high-end cans want to give their thoughts on how the Utopia would perform?

I think they'll be fine for gaming.  Soundstage is great for gaming but it's not the only factor that makes for a good gaming headphone.  For example, the Ether C 1.1 is @Mad Lust Envy's favorite gaming can and it's closed.  From memory, I don't think the Utopia SS is smaller than the Ether C but I'd have to A/B to tell.  

Also keep in mind that many people were reporting on the soundstage from brand new cans (like at the Chicago meet).  I agreed with 99% of @Hansotek's review but I was confused by his soundstage impressions... until I realized his pair wasn't burnt in and the pair at the Source has a ton of hours on it now.

As far as imaging, tonal balance, etc, the Utopia is top notch and should be fantastic for gaming.  The biggest potential drawback I can see is the weight.  If you are going to game for hours at a time, the weight may become an issue.  There are no hotspots on the headband and it wears the weight well so I don't expect it to be a serious issue... just maybe cause some neck fatigue.  An aftermarket cable might help the weight a bit, as Tyll suggested.

Oh and you're going to want to make sure you're using a good source.  The Utopia is very revealing and you're not going to want to use it with a hissy Mixamp or Recon3D.  For PC gaming, a sound card with optical passthrough to a real DAC and Amp.  For console, the DSS2 is the quietest for double amping and the X7 shouldn't need double amping (though you need to do some magic to get surround working, last I checked).

Aug 17, 2016 at 2:31 PM Post #2,034 of 5,632
Headphones shipped to my home today. I'm having a difficult time deciding between grabbing dinner with the lady or telling my girlfriend that my grandma fell down the stairs and I have to attend to her so that I can listen to these cans. Help me out.

Aug 17, 2016 at 2:35 PM Post #2,035 of 5,632
Headphones shipped to my home today. I'm having a difficult time deciding between grabbing dinner with the lady or telling my girlfriend that my grandma fell down the stairs and I have to attend to her so that I can listen to these cans. Help me out.

Oh man, I'm sorry to hear about your grandma!

biggrin.gif

Aug 17, 2016 at 2:43 PM Post #2,036 of 5,632

Tell her your grandmother lives in another country.  That will buy you more time.

Aug 17, 2016 at 2:44 PM Post #2,037 of 5,632

Cans before ma'ams bro!!!

Aug 17, 2016 at 2:59 PM Post #2,038 of 5,632

Tell her you have a headache. 

Aug 17, 2016 at 3:14 PM Post #2,039 of 5,632

Tell her the truth, and after that see if she still loves you:thumbsup:

Aug 17, 2016 at 3:30 PM Post #2,040 of 5,632

Also keep in mind that many people were reporting on the soundstage from brand new cans (like at the Chicago meet).  I agreed with 99% of @Hansotek's review but I was confused by his soundstage impressions... until I realized his pair wasn't burnt in and the pair at the Source has a ton of hours on it now.

Yeah, pretty much 100% convinced at this point that was a burn-in issue. As I mentioned in my impressions, soundstage almost always evolves in some way as headphones break-in, particularly in regard to depth. That being said, it wasn't particularly bad out of the box, either.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back