Focal Clear vs Clear MG sound comparison.
Mar 21, 2021 at 1:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 53

Raziel~

New Head-Fier
Hi everybody.

Since Focal have released the Clear MG headphones in replacement of their original Clear I thought it would be useful, to help people to choose the one that best suits their preferences, to find out what are the differences heard between the two models and appreciations after A/B test?

While it would be good to stick with an appreciation regarding the sound, if you think something other needs to be mentioned, please go for it.

Thank you to those who have been able to compare these two headphones and who will share their feelings.

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2021 at 2:22 PM Post #2 of 53
Hi everybody.

Since the Focal Clear headphones have been discontinued and replaced with the MG version (and a number of stores are currently offering a hefty discount for the OG Clear),

Any insights on who is offering the sizable discount on the OG?

Mar 21, 2021 at 3:34 PM Post #3 of 53
I saw store demo at %33 off but that's about it.

Mar 22, 2021 at 11:52 AM Post #6 of 53
No way, the MG looks better, so it has to sound better. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Mar 22, 2021 at 11:55 AM Post #7 of 53
Last edited:
Mar 22, 2021 at 2:24 PM Post #8 of 53

Better tonality with less hyped resolution is condemned for some reason...

Please note the comparison doesn't say the Mg has better tonality, in fact:

"The Clear Mg, which the upper midrange suppressed to, well, let’s say concerning levels, hence has this underlying honkiness unveiled. It is certainly far honkier than the original Clear in a direct side-by-side comparison, as well as sounding fairly warmer and dare I say more veiled."

Mar 22, 2021 at 2:33 PM Post #9 of 53
Please note the comparison doesn't say the Mg has better tonality, in fact:

"The Clear Mg, which the upper midrange suppressed to, well, let’s say concerning levels, hence has this underlying honkiness unveiled. It is certainly far honkier than the original Clear in a direct side-by-side comparison, as well as sounding fairly warmer and dare I say more veiled."
Thanks for pointing out.

But it says smoother tonality and as an x Clear user this sounds very promising to me.

I am just saying that there is a trend to disregard headphones that are not the last in ultimate detail retrieval.

The TOTL wars...

Anyway I am arranging a review to discover in my own.

Every opinion and tastes are highly respected.

But we should be careful not to rely too much on one individual subjective opinion.

Treat everything with a grain of salt.

Last edited:
Mar 22, 2021 at 2:43 PM Post #10 of 53
Put the headphones on and let your ears do the “talking”. Reviews will get you a general idea about any particular product. That’s about it.

Mar 22, 2021 at 3:41 PM Post #11 of 53
Though if I'm not mistaken, it's probably worth mentioning that this part of the response (upper midrange) is where you're more likely to observe greater variation person to person in terms of how it's perceived, because of differences in pinna and canal gain. I agree that context is important, reviews are useful insofar as the similarity in how you hear vs the reviewer.

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2021 at 3:13 PM Post #13 of 53
Mar 23, 2021 at 3:18 PM Post #14 of 53
As was to be expected accordingly to his known tastes...

Just like reading the impressions from the other forum.

Better tonality with less hyped resolution is condemned for some reason...

"smoother but also less detailed presentation all around" , so it is worst.

Anyway everybody has his/her own taste.
@Resolve also preferred the Clear OG. I have heard the Clear OG and almost bought one several times. Given the discount and 3 year warranty, I decided to buy one. I do prefer the new look and design of the Clear MG, but I am sound quality above all else.

Mar 23, 2021 at 3:41 PM Post #15 of 53
@Resolve also preferred the Clear OG. I have heard the Clear OG and almost bought one several times. Given the discount and 3 year warranty, I decided to buy one. I do prefer the new look and design of the Clear MG, but I am sound quality above all else.
Sure , there is one headphone for everyone.

I owned the OG Clear and liked it quite a lot and to be honest I sold it only after I got the Empyrean because I couldn't afford both.

Now since I have been following Resolve and Crinacle and know their taste , I am pretty sure that chances are that the new Clear Mg is the better headphone for me.

I haven't heard it yet but I have already arranged a loaner to be reviewed for the next edition of hxosplus.

So sooner or later I am going to find out first hand!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back