Focal Clear Mg Review & Measurements
Dec 28, 2023 at 12:19 PM Post #2,087 of 2,126
Let us know what you think, compared to stock cable, please ? I will very likely order a pure silver cable.
Sorry I don't have easy access to the stock cable as it is in the original box in the attic to make a A to B comparison
My first impressions from memory are it sounds slightly fasters with more timber compared the original cable but I have changed the pads since I last use the stock cable so that will make a big difference.

Dec 28, 2023 at 12:45 PM Post #2,088 of 2,126
Sorry I don't have easy access to the stock cable as it is in the original box in the attic to make a A to B comparison
My first impressions from memory are it sounds slightly fasters with more timber compared the original cable but I have changed the pads since I last use the stock cable so that will make a big difference.
More likely to get a difference with the pads than the cable. Although I have Oidio cables for my MGs I find no difference at all to the stock cable other than the Oidios being more comfortable in use and less microphonic. The same goes for using them on my Denon AH-D9200s there's no difference between that and the stock cable except for the same attributes as with the MGs cable.

Dec 28, 2023 at 1:10 PM Post #2,089 of 2,126
More likely to get a difference with the pads than the cable. Although I have Oidio cables for my MGs I find no difference at all to the stock cable other than the Oidios being more comfortable in use and less microphonic. The same goes for using them on my Denon AH-D9200s there's no difference between that and the stock cable except for the same attributes as with the MGs cable.

There’s always this debate about cables making a difference & cables not making a difference & i don’t think I’ve ever come to any definite conclusion ??

Dec 28, 2023 at 1:13 PM Post #2,090 of 2,126
You are most likely correct
but there is a weird thing I have two amps a Liquid Platinum and a singxer SA-1
I normally prefer the LP with the Clears for most music on a copper cable from the same company,but now with the silver I seem to prefer the Singxer.
I can not put my finger on why,there is no obverse difference may be just placebo effect

Dec 28, 2023 at 1:16 PM Post #2,091 of 2,126
There’s always this debate about cables making a difference & cables not making a difference & i don’t think I’ve ever come to any definite conclusion ??
I think that headphone manufacturer must also have shares in the independent cable makes as all but one of the headphones that I've owned the stock cables are either too short or just awful. Oppo gave a very good one with the PM1s but guess who stupidly shut a drawer on them and completely severed it.

Dec 28, 2023 at 1:21 PM Post #2,092 of 2,126
I think that headphone manufacturer must also have shares in the independent cable makes as all but one of the headphones that I've owned the stock cables are either too short or just awful. Oppo gave a very good one with the PM1s but guess who stupidly shut a drawer on them and completely severed it.
I totally agree
I destroyed a pair of grado 325x trying to remove the hideous cable.
I miss oppo digital they made some good gear.I still have a pair of PM-3 I use occasionally but they headband has seen better days.

Dec 28, 2023 at 1:24 PM Post #2,093 of 2,126
You are most likely correct
but there is a weird thing I have two amps a Liquid Platinum and a singxer SA-1
I normally prefer the LP with the Clears for most music on a copper cable from the same company,but now with the silver I seem to prefer the Singxer.
I can not put my finger on why,there is no obverse difference may be just placebo effect
The pads can certainly make a difference, you are altering the ear cups physically. When I bought my Oppo PM1s many moons ago it came with three sets of different pads, all altered the audio slightly but you soon come to pick a favourite and stick with it. I think it's a bit mean of Focal not to give you a second different pair, but there again neither does Denon nor DCA.

Dec 28, 2023 at 3:50 PM Post #2,094 of 2,126
I'll start by saying that the clear mg cable is terrible, I took a low impedance custom cans cable and it significantly changed the sound of the clear for the better, it seems like another headphone.
Second.

Get an Audiophile Ninja cable from @NinjaJeremy and they instantly become 100% better headphones.

Dec 29, 2023 at 7:05 PM Post #2,096 of 2,126
I have the elex and atticus which i love both, do I get the Lcd x 21 with an aeolus or with the clear mg- definitely getting the lcd x 21 as I had it before and love it- is the clear mg worth having with the elex more so that having an aeolus with an atticus?

Dec 31, 2023 at 11:43 PM Post #2,097 of 2,126
I have the elex and atticus which i love both, do I get the Lcd x 21 with an aeolus or with the clear mg- definitely getting the lcd x 21 as I had it before and love it- is the clear mg worth having with the elex more so that having an aeolus with an atticus?
I can’t fully answer the question but I did own the Clear Mg and Elex at the same time (a while ago). In my opinion the Clear Mg is superior but not by much. Additionally, I felt they were more alike than different. I felt there was too much overlap between them to keep both in the collection. Just my two cents.

Jan 6, 2024 at 1:23 PM Post #2,098 of 2,126
Jan 6, 2024 at 2:20 PM Post #2,099 of 2,126
What do you mean “they slam”?
I can only best describe it as a physical pressure of the sound around your ears on certain frequencies
I believe it is caused by the air moment of the diagram and is amplified by the stock pads but I am no expert.
Hopefully someone better informed than me could explain a lot better
or turn the volume up and listen this track

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back