Focal Clear Mg Review & Measurements
Apr 21, 2023 at 2:34 PM Post #1,906 of 2,139
Mine arrived today, over the moon.

673FE686-E6A8-40BC-A060-FEA9A37CE385.jpeg
45830E74-19A9-4844-B46D-44870BD964E6.jpeg

Apr 30, 2023 at 6:34 AM Post #1,909 of 2,139
To any of you who tried both the Elear and Clear MG. If I didn't get along with the Elear, is there still a chance the Clear MG might be a good choice? Or is this still the same house sound with smaller variations to someone not accustomed to Focal?

A bit more of an explanation: A few years ago I was about to get the Elear (my headphones at the time was the Fidelio X2). Went down to audition them, but didn't find I gelled with them. From my recollection their intensity was what put me off the most. Listened on both a Lake People SS amp and an Ayon HA-3 tube amp - didn't change my impression of them. Got to try the Sundara and was immediately smitten by the smooth and spacious sound - I relaxed and was envelope by the music. One upped to the Ananda and walked home with those (it did take me a bit of time to tame the highs when I got home, having made the mistake of only listening to the Ananda on the Ayon in the store). Few years on and the HE1000 v2 has taken over as the main headphone. Will let go of the Ananda, and looking for a headphone with different qualities to the HE1000. Either one that is more dynamic (and this is where the Clear MG comes in), or a warmer bassier headphone (perhaps ZMF). A bit sensitive to the highs, but it sounds like that has been dealt with on the MG?!

May 5, 2023 at 9:00 AM Post #1,911 of 2,139
To any of you who tried both the Elear and Clear MG. If I didn't get along with the Elear, is there still a chance the Clear MG might be a good choice? Or is this still the same house sound with smaller variations to someone not accustomed to Focal?

A bit more of an explanation: A few years ago I was about to get the Elear (my headphones at the time was the Fidelio X2). Went down to audition them, but didn't find I gelled with them. From my recollection their intensity was what put me off the most. Listened on both a Lake People SS amp and an Ayon HA-3 tube amp - didn't change my impression of them. Got to try the Sundara and was immediately smitten by the smooth and spacious sound - I relaxed and was envelope by the music. One upped to the Ananda and walked home with those (it did take me a bit of time to tame the highs when I got home, having made the mistake of only listening to the Ananda on the Ayon in the store). Few years on and the HE1000 v2 has taken over as the main headphone. Will let go of the Ananda, and looking for a headphone with different qualities to the HE1000. Either one that is more dynamic (and this is where the Clear MG comes in), or a warmer bassier headphone (perhaps ZMF). A bit sensitive to the highs, but it sounds like that has been dealt with on the MG?!
The highs on the MG are still very much there, and they won't give you the same expansiveness of the planars you like. While they are very dynamic, yes, I wouldn't call their stock tambre smooth like the others you mentioned. They're my go to when I'm looking for impact and energy. I reach for my ZMF Verite when I want smooth warm punchy and most important, holographic. Which is actually majority of the time.

May 5, 2023 at 2:48 PM Post #1,912 of 2,139
greetings

any recs for the best pads to try with clear mg

i see alot liked te dekoni stellia pads

anyone tried zmf pads for focal

May 5, 2023 at 3:54 PM Post #1,913 of 2,139
I've had my MGs for four weeks now and they are opening up nicely. I'm driving them with a Lehmann Linear and they are well matched. No gripes at all with them expect to say that they really show up poor recordings and for those I'll go back to my Oppo PM1 planars which are much more sympathetic. Build quality is superb and although they do feel heavier on the head over my Oppos and my Denon AH-D9200 they are not really uncomfortable. Neither do I have problems wearing them with specs. The clamping force may be difficult for some people.

First Focals I've bought but I almost went for the Celestee several months ago as I needed a new pair of closed backs and plumped for the Denons.

I find them great for female vocals, especially when there is plenty of layering with instruments it all well placed and separated. Certainly picking up some detail that, although there with the Oppos, is just a little more distinct with the MGs. That is something I very much appreciate with them.

DSC_6595.jpg

DSC_6590.jpg

May 5, 2023 at 4:32 PM Post #1,914 of 2,139
You can get the clear MGs for €999 can you sell me some. Are they new, boxed n all. I really want them.
hallo nach hamburg

habe meinen bei sg akustik für 999euro neu bekommen...die wurden als B ware inseriert.... habe im Hifi Forum nachgefragt weshalb das so war...einer meinte das machen sie um die Preisbremse seitens Focal zu umgehen.... leider sehe ich gerade keinen als B ware Inseriert wie letztens noch

Last edited:
May 6, 2023 at 5:31 AM Post #1,916 of 2,139
I've had them for a while and I can't say anything wrong with them except the price (well, in general that's what you have to do when you want something high end).
Soundstage correct without being closed, dynamics are great, treble is correct and detail. I like the mids, I don't notice the metallic ringing and the bass, good bass! and all without needing a lot of power to move them being ideal for use in my stationary rig and with my WM1A.
They don't have as much separation as a planar, nor as much scene, but I really enjoy how dynamic they are.
So far and I hope to be lucky, no problem with the pads, nor the headband in more than half a year of moderate-intense use.
Right now enjoying them very much with Gotthard and a gustard R-26 as dac.

May 6, 2023 at 2:04 PM Post #1,918 of 2,139
Ever since I have been using my B&W PX8 wireless headphones, I have not been using my Focal Clear MG's hardly at all. Its not that the PX8 are better, its just that when I need to use headphones, it is usually when I am moving around the house like cleaning the kitchen, traveling, or going for a walk. Anytime I really want to use my Clear MG's is only when I can't play music through my Focal Aria speakers because its late or someone is watching TV in the next room.

Are there times you can play music through your main speakers and you choose to use headphones instead? When do you find yourself using your Focal Clear MG's?

May 6, 2023 at 2:17 PM Post #1,920 of 2,139
Is that even available anymore? Looks like it was a limited run?
They were originally a limited run, but Dekoni decided to make them a regular stock item. They just changed to color of the box from Purple to Teal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back