Focal Clear Mg Review & Measurements
Apr 12, 2022 at 5:18 PM Post #1,546 of 2,150
Apr 13, 2022 at 3:53 AM Post #1,550 of 2,150
Different materials and quality...

sure will give these a try once saved up a bit prefer the black leather look as opposed to the red

what difference do they make sound wise? :)

Apr 13, 2022 at 11:51 AM Post #1,552 of 2,150
Different materials and quality...
Dekoni has two types of leather pads for Focal. Regular sheepskin, which is just plain leather without that fabric ring that OEM pads have.
Then they had now discontinued Stellia Limited Edition pads, that were exact replica of Stellia OEM pads including fabric ring, and now they resumed production of these pads except they don't call them 'limited' anymore while retaining same material and construction, hopefully they will continue making them as they are really good.
11733469.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2022 at 4:04 PM Post #1,553 of 2,150
Apr 15, 2022 at 3:52 PM Post #1,554 of 2,150
Is anyone using these with the Shanling M6 Pro? Reviews and comments are all over the place. Everything sounds about right for my preferences, but many comments regarding the top of the top end has me a bit concerned. I'm assuming this is highly source dependent, but some folks say that the highs are intolerable. Very bright and fatiguing. Just looking for some thoughts and opinions.

Apr 15, 2022 at 4:01 PM Post #1,555 of 2,150
Is anyone using these with the Shanling M6 Pro? Reviews and comments are all over the place. Everything sounds about right for my preferences, but many comments regarding the top of the top end has me a bit concerned. I'm assuming this is highly source dependent, but some folks say that the highs are intolerable. Very bright and fatiguing. Just looking for some thoughts and opinions.
Are you talking about the Mg?
Bright and fatiguing? Intolerable highs?
No my friend, certainly not.

Apr 15, 2022 at 4:01 PM Post #1,556 of 2,150
I had this experience with them and found three important factors:

1) You need to swap the stock cable IMMEDIATELY - don't even take it out of the box. Buy a decent cable (like Audiophile Ninja or Hart) or a higher-end cable (like Norne) as budget allows. The stock cable, however, is utter garbage.

2) The stock pads are ok, but I (as others on here do) recommend swapping the pads out for the Dekoni Stellia pads. $99 new, cheaper if you find a deal in the Classifieds.

3) These headphones need to burn in, at LEAST 100 hours before they start to settle down. Out of the box they are very "brittle" sounding, very fatiguing, and shrill. I came || <--this close to returning them but was convinced otherwise by others in this thread. And while they're not my daily drivers, they do get head-time (as do most others in my collection). They're like a fine wine, they improve with age.

Just my $.02 worth. YMMV

Apr 15, 2022 at 4:15 PM Post #1,557 of 2,150
Clear OG had too much treble energy, MG was retuned, perhaps too much, depending on the source and point of reference may sound wooled.

Apr 16, 2022 at 12:03 AM Post #1,558 of 2,150
Thanks guys. I'm under the impression that the upper mids and lower treble are more restrained than the OG, but what I've read concerning brightness and fatigue refers to the upper treble. I prefer a very mild darkness in the presence region, not intensely detail driven, but still detailed enough to hear most everything that the track has to offer. Right now I'm trying to decide between this and the Radiance. I've been through enough cans, now I'm after both a closed and open end game. These headphones are right at the top of my spending allowance.

Apr 16, 2022 at 12:09 AM Post #1,559 of 2,150
Thanks guys. I'm under the impression that the upper mids and lower treble are more restrained than the OG, but what I've read concerning brightness and fatigue refers to the upper treble. I prefer a very mild darkness in the presence region, not intensely detail driven, but still detailed enough to hear most everything that the track has to offer. Right now I'm trying to decide between this and the Radiance. I've been through enough cans, now I'm after both a closed and open end game. These headphones are right at the top of my spending allowance.
I haven't heard the Mg but I have the OG. It has that treble presence, sure. But it it's not over powering in my opinion. What you are looking for sounds a lot like what I like about the Hifiman XS, much cheaper and very resolving. I own both and sometimes prefer the XS because it is not as bright, check it out... something to consider.

Apr 16, 2022 at 2:55 AM Post #1,560 of 2,150
When I auditioned the OG Clear I was put off by the treble, fatiguing to my ears. The Clear MG is definitely less bright than OG and for me at least, combines just the right degree of technicalities (detail retrieval, resolution, frequency extension) with slightly warm-leaning musicality and euphony.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back