Focal Clear Mg Review & Measurements
Apr 11, 2022 at 3:34 PM Post #1,531 of 2,150
Apr 11, 2022 at 3:42 PM Post #1,533 of 2,150
I have to kindly disagree with @Andrew_WOT. The stock cable that came with my Focal Clear MG is terrible, to the point I almost returned them. Thanks to an Audiophile Ninja cable, I was able to tolerate them again.

I do believe cables empart their own characteristics to how headphones sound, and in my particular case, the difference was substantial.

YMMV
I thought it was burn in that made you keep them. :o2smile:

Apr 11, 2022 at 5:19 PM Post #1,535 of 2,150
I thought it was burn in that made you keep them. :o2smile:
I know (think?) you're pulling my leg, but for the record, the first thing I said in my re-analysis of them was:

First off, I owe the Focal Clear MG's an apology - I finally figured out my issues with these headphones. They are not thin and shrill as I had originally decried them to be. The first problem is that they must be paired with a decent cable. The god-awful stock cable should go immediately in the garbage. Don't waste money on anything recommended in the "cheap cables" thread. And DON'T buy a $300 no-name "16 Strands 7N Single Crystal Copper/Silver Mixed" cable from Amazon. My Audiophile Ninja cable came in today and *MAN* what an incredible difference it made!
[...]
TL;DR: Long story short - MGs are actually very good headphones with the proper cable and fed with the appropriate power source. Swapping pads will not make the MGs "poor man Utopias". They WILL widen the soundstage quite significantly.

Let me know if you have any questions, thoughts, or other things I should consider.
I still stand by my statement - the stock cable should be swapped out - it's just awful.

Apologies if I offend.

Apr 11, 2022 at 6:09 PM Post #1,536 of 2,150
I'm considering sending my Focal Clear MG Pro's back and getting some Sennheiser HD800s instead. I don't listed to a lot of pop and metal and other genres that really take advantage of the macro dynamics of these things. Since I'm mainly using them for ambient, downtempo electronica, indie composer, space ambient, and gaming I'm thinking the 800s may be a better move.

Focals are good, just not "magical" and I already have Sennheiser 6XX, which I can't hear a 6x improvement for the 6x price of the focals vs those.

Anyone else have a big interest in ambient music or composers like NIls Frahm? Always looking for recommendations for cans, and if the 800s would be a better fit than the focals.

Apr 11, 2022 at 6:23 PM Post #1,537 of 2,150
I'm considering sending my Focal Clear MG Pro's back and getting some Sennheiser HD800s instead. I don't listed to a lot of pop and metal and other genres that really take advantage of the macro dynamics of these things. Since I'm mainly using them for ambient, downtempo electronica, indie composer, space ambient, and gaming I'm thinking the 800s may be a better move.

Focals are good, just not "magical" and I already have Sennheiser 6XX, which I can't hear a 6x improvement for the 6x price of the focals vs those.

Anyone else have a big interest in ambient music or composers like NIls Frahm? Always looking for recommendations for cans, and if the 800s would be a better fit than the focals.
I'd take HD800/S over Focals on any day and for any genre. The other phones I'd recommend that fit in between Clears and HD800S are HE6SE. They are much more detailed than Clears with more alive treble, and offer more bass slam and warmth than HD800. Considering you have sufficient amplification they would be my universal choice for any kind of music, they are not as spacious as HD800 (nothing is really), but better than small studio presentation of Clears.

Apr 11, 2022 at 7:02 PM Post #1,538 of 2,150
I'd take HD800/S over Focals on any day and for any genre. The other phones I'd recommend that fit in between Clears and HD800S are HE6SE. They are much more detailed than Clears with more alive treble, and offer more bass slam and warmth than HD800. Considering you have sufficient amplification they would be my universal choice for any kind of music, they are not as spacious as HD800 (nothing is really), but better than small studio presentation of Clears.

Just goes to show you how everyone hears different. No chance I’d ever trade my Clear MG’s for the HD800/S.

Apr 12, 2022 at 4:02 PM Post #1,543 of 2,150

Users who are viewing this thread

Back