Focal Clear Mg Review & Measurements
Mar 28, 2021 at 6:58 PM Post #226 of 2,142
Seriously, this might just very well be the most drool-worthy representation of the Clear MG's colour scheme I've seen so far! Makes me wanna buy blind! (...but still debating over this and the Arya)
I actually bought in blind never heard the og clear but I liked Mg colorway
Thinking of getting the Celestee too cause of the color haha there are too many silver and black cans out 😁

A bit random, but I have to say that the inside of the Clear MG cable box smells delicious. Anyone else experiencing this?
Ya I opened it up and was like darn this smells..... good !

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2021 at 7:20 PM Post #227 of 2,142
Yup.... I couldn't resist! I've just placed my order for the Mg 🎉
Also placed an order for a Verum 1 in Boobinga Wood as this sounded interesting as well! 🎧

Mar 29, 2021 at 1:19 PM Post #229 of 2,142
It is time!
16170383142382046541392668140069.jpg

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2021 at 3:00 PM Post #232 of 2,142
I have now, as a bird tweeted to me (insider) explained :bust_in_silhouette:
the MG 24h hard run in ... then another 2-3 days normally.

the 24h hard / overdriving, so that the magnesium transducer, driver material warms up and plays in.

.. so not long and medium loud as usual, but short and hard at the limit.
Yes, the MG opened up something like that, smoother, dropped a bit of veil and gained space.

..... i'm still very exhausted :astonished::L3000:

Mar 29, 2021 at 3:36 PM Post #233 of 2,142
So far I am really digging their sound and how easy they are to drive. @angpsi
Have to test for myself sometime soon... Unfortunately my background consists of merely a brief audition of the Clear OG at a show driven by a Grace M900 so I clearly —ok, gotta resist these puns— have no reliable reference to judge their signature. Great review though, and great photo/cinematography; well done!

Oddly enough, I've had people describe the OG equally as 'a warm-ish take on reference' as well as 'harsh and sibilant'. Given that Focal themselves claim to aim for a neutral reference sound, I'd reckon that synergy would also be a bit part of the picture: e.g. I've seen my old SPL Auditor work wonders with the HD800, and I should also expect it to drive (tame) the OG equally well. On that basis, I'm tempted to venture that the MG will pair extremely well with the Phonitor: for one thing, because SPL generally designs for voltage rather than current which works better for dynamic cans, and second because I'd expect the SPL neutral reference signature of the Phonitor to give some grunt to the MG's warmer yet resolving sound —or, at least, that's the theory!

Arya is on the opposite side of the cans I'm used to so far, and I only just started to explore the planar sound with the HFM Massdrop XX (which I like enough to try and move on to the Arya). But since this is the Clear MG thread I won't divulge into further empirical, if not unsubstantiated, assertions... :k701smile:

Mar 30, 2021 at 2:29 PM Post #237 of 2,142
Its interesting comparing these to the Elex. I was always cynical about whether the Clear was a good enough upgrade over the Elex so I was very excited to compare the two.

When I first heard these I did think these sounded pretty similar to the Elex, but with a few key differences. Those differences being more treble extension, a thicker low-end, and a warmer midrange. They still sound pretty similar signature wise but it is certainly an upgrade I feel comfortable with.

Mar 30, 2021 at 3:18 PM Post #238 of 2,142
Its interesting comparing these to the Elex. I was always cynical about whether the Clear was a good enough upgrade over the Elex so I was very excited to compare the two.

When I first heard these I did think these sounded pretty similar to the Elex, but with a few key differences. Those differences being more treble extension, a thicker low-end, and a warmer midrange. They still sound pretty similar signature wise but it is certainly an upgrade I feel comfortable with.
Is it worth the cost differential to you?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back