Focal Clear Mg Review & Measurements
May 7, 2024 at 6:18 AM Post #2,131 of 2,145
Thanks for this. Looking forward to the test of different earpads for the Focal.

I'm trying out a series of Dekoni pads, going to publish a review relatively soon. They definitely affect the sound. But what you prefer will be a matter of taste and preference. As always :)

May 7, 2024 at 6:41 AM Post #2,132 of 2,145
I just finished writing up a comparison between the Focal Clear MG and the Audeze LCD-X

Hope somebody will find it interesting :)!

https://www.headphoneer.com/audeze-lcd-x-vs-focal-clear-mg-comparison-review/

1000028843.jpg
Many thanks for your review. It sounds pretty accurate and honest for me, although I only own the MGs and never tried LCD-X.
I'd add a couple of things about them at a personal level:
- The MGs have some weird metallic timber. The highs and mid/highs are a bit coloured.
- They have a frequency range in the highs (not sure, maybe about 4KHz.+?) that is tuned down and some details are barely audible because of that.
The first and second points could be related, and can be caused by the sources I use, although I perceive it always (when using Windows, Tidal + E1DA 9038s with my smartphone, or the A&K SR25 DAP).

May 7, 2024 at 7:01 AM Post #2,133 of 2,145
Many thanks for your review. It sounds pretty accurate and honest for me, although I only own the MGs and never tried LCD-X.
I'd add a couple of things about them at a personal level:
- The MGs have some weird metallic timber. The highs and mid/highs are a bit coloured.
- They have a frequency range in the highs (not sure, maybe about 4KHz.+?) that is tuned down and some details are barely audible because of that.
The first and second points could be related, and can be caused by the sources I use, although I perceive it always (when using Windows, Tidal + E1DA 9038s with my smartphone, or the A&K SR25 DAP).

Thanks. I think this hint of "metallic timbre" is an issue with all Focal headphones. It really does not bother me. I find some pad swaps to beneficial, but there's always a trade off.
I have never heard a perfect headphone, though, there's always trade-offs. That's what makes us keep exploring :)

May 7, 2024 at 7:18 AM Post #2,134 of 2,145
Thanks. I think this hint of "metallic timbre" is an issue with all Focal headphones. It really does not bother me. I find some pad swaps to beneficial, but there's always a trade off.
I have never heard a perfect headphone, though, there's always trade-offs. That's what makes us keep exploring :)
Fair enough.
Now I think I'm gong to be hated, especially in this thread, but the thing is I'm using a BT headphone now and, for my surprise, It's being hard to find any excuses to get back to the Focals when I'm able to use both. It can sound weird, but I enjoy more the music with the BT ones when properly equalized, in part due to the fact that they have a tailor-made AMP and DAC.

May 7, 2024 at 7:24 AM Post #2,135 of 2,145
Fair enough.
Now I think I'm gong to be hated, especially in this thread, but the thing is I'm using a BT headphone now and, for my surprise, It's being hard to find any excuses to get back to the Focals when I'm able to use both. It can sound weird, but I enjoy more the music with the BT ones when properly equalized, in part due to the fact that they have a tailor-made AMP and DAC.
Sony 1000xm3?

Lots of music sounds better on less expensive equipment

May 7, 2024 at 8:34 AM Post #2,136 of 2,145
Sony 1000xm3?

Lots of music sounds better on less expensive equipment
I own the 3s and the 5s (already sold the 4s), but I'm referring to the 5s specifically.
I use the same EQ settings (3rd party EQ) for most of the music and they are fantastic, providing a very enjoyable and rich sound. It's true that I change the main settings when going to listen to classical, jazz, etc. for a while, but I could also live without that.
At the end, it's the whole experience what we appreciate, and each one has different priorities regarding sound, comfort, easy to use, etc. The MGs provide some feats that the Sonys cannot, such as more resolution, micro detail and soundstage, but I find them less enjoyable when listening to busy genres, or when the bass needs more authority and/or presence.

May 7, 2024 at 8:59 AM Post #2,137 of 2,145
I like Utopia pads with Clear MG, less thumpy but more articulate sound, mid-bass quantity drops a bit but sounds clearer. Too bad mine are deteriorating so can't leave them on and new cost too much, not to say stock pads are worse, just different take.

Tested Oratory EQ as well, i think bass and treble boost is too much, reducing dB values to half played better.

Overall i like Clear Mg and prefer it over some contenders like HE6SE even that headphone is great as well.

May 7, 2024 at 10:25 AM Post #2,138 of 2,145
I briefly owned these headphones and absolutely loved their sound, but the ear clamp and hotspot on the top of my bald head were just too much for me.

Anyone have any solutions to these comfort issues? If so, I may need to give these another try…
I had the same issue as you and the Dekoni Nuggets went a long way toward alleviating the pressure. The zip ties don't permanently mark the headphones and do a much better job of holding them in place than the included adhesives.
IMG_1091.jpg

May 7, 2024 at 4:02 PM Post #2,139 of 2,145
I find my Clears very comfortable. On the other hand, the headphones that have had really good reviews for comfort, my Meze Liric 2 are not as comfortable as the MGs. Must admit though that since I've had the Lirics I've not put the MGs on very much at all. Totally different in timbre, detail and delivery.

May 10, 2024 at 6:45 PM Post #2,142 of 2,145
I have had the Focal Clear MG's for over a year and am very happy with them. They are very comfortable to wear, they look great, are not too heavy, and I enjoy the sound signature. The only thing I have done on some older recordings that have less highs' like CSN I add a little more high end with the treble knob on my stereo.

May 11, 2024 at 12:42 PM Post #2,144 of 2,145
is Focal about to release more headphones in the $12-1500ish range to be the successor to the Clear MG? Like are the current 2 new releases by them a warm up of things to come this year?
I could see them refreshing the Stellia to be honest. I think the Clear Mg doesn't really need one, aesthetically and sonically it remains exceptional in it's price category.

Stellia has had competitors rise up, is pricey, and is the oldest current model without a refresh.

May 11, 2024 at 2:35 PM Post #2,145 of 2,145
is Focal about to release more headphones in the $12-1500ish range to be the successor to the Clear MG? Like are the current 2 new releases by them a warm up of things to come this year?
I'd like to see Focal release an open back to sit somewhere between the price point of the MGs and the Utopia. There's a lot of good open backs in the £2500 and £3500 bracket.

Users who are viewing this thread

• tpal
Back